Justice League - There Is No Justice Here

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It was disappointingly ok. Not a very memorable movie. I don't think there was a single thing in the movie that really stood out to me.

It was also really annoying how much they sucked Superman's dick. I mean it's understandable, many people thought they fucked up his character in previous movies so they needed to low key retcon him, but it was a little too much at times.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Bob_McMillan said:
It was also really annoying how much they sucked Superman's dick.
...why did I read that and immediately think of Lois Lane? 0_0

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
It looks bad, visually, which is insane given how much money was spent on this.

I've seen some of the screenshots of the CGI and I thought I was looking at some SyFy channel shit.

Maybe it looks better in action, but...I don't know.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
A lot of the film was just so unmemorably mediocre, and the rest was terrible.

The CGI looks like it was ripped straight from a videogame trailer by Blur, the action was never cool, it was never funny, and there were never any stakes.

The "Big Twist" that Superman comes back is so predicatable, that it can barely be classified as one, and once the guy came back, he made the rest of the team entirely pointless.

He is faster than The Flash, he is stronger than Wonder Woman and Aquaman combined, Cyborg does little more than be a plot macguffin who just stands there and hacks into things, and Batman just... what did he do in this film, again?

And yeah, no stakes. The entire Justice League is struggling to fight this Steppenwolf CG monster, and then Superman just flies in all like "Oh, it looks like you are having trouble with that" and just nails the guy in one hit. Power creep, much.

Not to mention that they have already brought a character back from the dead. Oh no, Batman, that was so selfless of you to put yourself in so much danger. But it doesn't matter, because even if he did die, you can just stick him in the goo, and all will be well, again.

Its just a big ball of bleh.

Dont watch this terrible movie.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Let's be honest. Once they mentioned reshoots, you knew that this was fuxed.
I know some people thought. But WW.
Here's the thing. WW wasn't a great movie. It was servicable, competant and just slightly above average. The problem is , slightly above average makes it a sghining diamond in the DCEU which again tells the state of it. I think its the mentality honestly.
Marvel did the avengers with their Band C list heroes at the time. I.e the licenses that no onme else thought was worth buying. And they made bank on it. DC is trying to do this with A listers and fails. WEHy? DC was iun too much of a hurry and thusly nmever took the time to establish a tone . But then again they had a hard time figuring which iteration of the charcters to bring out. Their characters and their relationships have go through so many shifts that the comics themselves don't have a universal tone.

DC saw Avengers and then said we gonna do that and took the fastest possible route. If DC was smart they would have done a FLash, Aquaman, and Cyborg movie before hand. WOuld have also recommended a proper superman movie and a proper batman movie. SHut up you know that Man of Steel mnovie was crap and only one of the DK trilogy was actually good. The first was just an okay film and the third was a mess.

Secondly they blew their load too early with the Death of superman. A superman we haven't known long enough to give a rats ass about.

How it should have been done.

A Re-boot batman film.
A Wonder woman film
An Aquaman Film.
A Cyborg Film
A Flash Film

Where you can have supes cameo in each of them. Perhaps working with the heroes as he tries to find other like-minded souls to help in his mission to protect humanity.

Then you do Justice League, wherein Superman dies at the hands of whatever, perhaps via sacrifice, a sacrifice made with the confidence of knowing that humanity will have protectors. Bam. Start printing money.

The lead up films are important for establishing and refining tone, aesthetics and story beats. Those are the films you make your mistakes in and tweak.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Darth Rosenberg said:
No, you don't get to say 'I told you so' with a WB/DC film with tonal issues... Methinks we've been there before. Hell, bar Wonder Woman, did we ever leave that place? The entire continuity is riven with an identity crisis. A crisis that could be considered inf--
I'd go so far to say tonal issues are just embedded in the source material ever since Batman became "The Dark Knight". Certainly since he became the keynote player in film.

You have 4-6 people in neon spandex, with esoteric pulp schlock origins and nonsense. Trying to ram into the universe of broody mcdark brood and his cold grim reality.

Within the comics, its usually that Batman is the external component, the strange intruder into a generally hopeful world that often embraces heroes. In Snyderverse, Batman's world is the entire world, and the more optimistic heroes are the outsiders to it. Characters are either remolded to fit into the Universe, or seem entirely out of place in it as much as the regular heroes were out of place in the Injustice universe when they crossed into it.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I fucking read Justice League and I have no interest in this movie. Really hope WB takes a long hard look at what they're doing after this fails to perform to their expectations.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Seth Carter said:
I'd go so far to say tonal issues are just embedded in the source material ever since Batman became "The Dark Knight". Certainly since he became the keynote player in film.

You have 4-6 people in neon spandex, with esoteric pulp schlock origins and nonsense. Trying to ram into the universe of broody mcdark brood and his cold grim reality.
And that's partly why I believe Snyder's a slightly idiotic hack, because it's his macho angsty proto-fascist/1% chance-neocon BS that's shaped the Don't Care Extended Universe (thanks Half In The Bag for that twist on cinematic DC), and if they truly intended to build to the Justice League from mopey Supes' debut, then sure, it was doomed from the start.

Everything I've heard about Justice League suggests it's trying its hardest to pretend everyone's misremembering MoS and BvS's events and tone, but given a more The Avengers-y tone seems to be the positive take-away from JL, the future might look brighter (tonally and literally).

It was always possible to do a more hopeful version of the Justice League. Regardless, Justice League seems a monumental generic ho-hum mess even putting aside tonal mismatches.

I assume Joss Whedon is still doing a Batgirl flick? He's not quite done a Harvey Weinstein/Kevin Spacey, but his reputation's taken a major hit, and having JL on his CV won't exactly help that. I've heard JL is very leery over Wonder Woman (male gaze, anyone?), and I, erm, wonder who's responsible for those shots - Snyder, or Joss. Either way, I'm not exactly looking forward to Batgirl anymore given the state of the DCEU and the accusations about Joss.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Darth Rosenberg said:
Seth Carter said:

And that's partly why I believe Snyder's a slightly idiotic hack, because it's his macho angsty proto-fascist/1% chance-neocon BS that's shaped the Don't Care Extended Universe (thanks Half In The Bag for that twist on cinematic DC), and if they truly intended to build to the Justice League from mopey Supes' debut, then sure, it was doomed from the start.

Everything I've heard about Justice League suggests it's trying its hardest to pretend everyone's misremembering MoS and BvS's events and tone, but given a more The Avengers-y tone seems to be the positive take-away from JL, the future might look brighter (tonally and literally).

It was always possible to do a more hopeful version of the Justice League. Regardless, Justice League seems a monumental generic ho-hum mess even putting aside tonal mismatches.

I assume Joss Whedon is still doing a Batgirl flick? He's not quite done a Harvey Weinstein/Kevin Spacey, but his reputation's taken a major hit, and having JL on his CV won't exactly help that. I've heard JL is very leery over Wonder Woman (male gaze, anyone?), and I, erm, wonder who's responsible for those shots - Snyder, or Joss. Either way, I'm not exactly looking forward to Batgirl anymore given the state of the DCEU and the accusations about Joss.
Ok 1. Zack Snyder is not a facist or even a proto facist, Why are you trying to make Masculinity/Machoness and Facism as equals or overlaps each other, infact why are you bringing a political angle into this?

2. As I supsected about Justice League being more Avengers-y in tone with the switch in directors and constant re-shoots. I also partly blame Geoff Johns for this issue aswell. I suspected it would happen when they showed the first teaser poster for Justice Leauge beintg all colorful and such.

3. When has Joss Wheadon's reputation been tarnished?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Darth Rosenberg said:
Seth Carter said:

Man of Steel sort of basically hangs together until it stops being a Clark Kent movie and starts being a Superman movie.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
Seth Carter said:

Ok 1. Zack Snyder is not a facist or even a proto facist, Why are you trying to make Masculinity/Machoness and Facism as equals or overlaps each other, infact why are you bringing a political angle into this?

2. As I supsected about Justice League being more Avengers-y in tone with the switch in directors and constant re-shoots. I also partly blame Geoff Johns for this issue aswell. I suspected it would happen when they showed the first teaser poster for Justice Leauge beintg all colorful and such.

1. I agree. He's not a fascist. I dislike a lot of Zack Snyder's filmmaking, but he's not a fascist.

2. Justice League was meant to have this lighter tone by the studio because of the backlash for Batman v Superman and its tone was more like this way before Joss came in for reshoots. I find it funny you bring up Geoff Johns since some of his current stuff have been a bit violent or off-putting.

3. Well, the recent news about his ex-wife kinda hit his reputation as a feminist very badly. Also people are throwing a fit that he liked a tweet that criticized Steppenwolf as a shit villain.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
Seth Carter said:

1. I agree. He's not a fascist. I dislike a lot of Zack Snyder's filmmaking, but he's not a fascist.

2. Justice League was meant to have this lighter tone by the studio because of the backlash for Batman v Superman and its tone was more like this way before Joss came in for reshoots. I find it funny you bring up Geoff Johns since some of his current stuff have been a bit violent or off-putting.

3. Well, the recent news about his ex-wife kinda hit his reputation as a feminist very badly. Also people are throwing a fit that he liked a tweet that criticized Steppenwolf as a shit villain.
On 2. Thing is I remember Geoff Johns in a news article saying that he thinks DC's tonal direction they went with the first 3 movies was wrong.

3. But how does this affects his reputation as a film-maker?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I heard someone describe it as such:

"Compared to Batman v Superman: it's Wonder Woman. Compared to Wonder Woman: it's Batman v Superman."

The long and short of it is that Joss is a good director, but not a miracle worker. The real issue is that WB sank this universe when they hitched it to Snyder's wagon. It was doomed from the start. Wonder Woman was a spark of greatness, but that's all they've got.

Hehe, one thing I do find funny is how Ben is running away from his role in these films as fast as he can. It's painfully obvious that he's realized he made a terrible mistake by signing up to play Bats, and he just wants to gtfo as quickly as possible.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They should have gone this route with the movie.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
If you have people to make and understand jokes with, you can enjoy it. If you go alone, or with people who dont get any of your jokes, its probably more shitty.

I dont like Emo Cyborg. I do love Ezra Miller, and he made me like The Flash. I like Wonder Woman and Batman. I dont like Aquaman or Supermouth.

Whenever they fought Steppenwolf (fucking who?) it made me want to play Injustice. This felt like a video game movie, for good or bad. Considering most of the previews were for video game movies though... (Rampage, Tomb Raider, technically Jumanji...)

Also jeez Rock, slow down. Im surprised he isnt playing Lara Croft.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Saelune said:
Whenever they fought Steppenwolf (fucking who?) it made me want to play Injustice.
One of Darkseid's sidekicks. I mostly remember him as some poor schmuck that gets offed as part of a DCAU Justice League cold-open.

... yeah, not the kind of character I'd have used as the BBEG of the Justice League-movie.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Mangod said:
Saelune said:
Whenever they fought Steppenwolf (fucking who?) it made me want to play Injustice.
One of Darkseid's sidekicks. I mostly remember him as some poor schmuck that gets offed as part of a DCAU Justice League cold-open.

... yeah, not the kind of character I'd have used as the BBEG of the Justice League-movie.
I assume they want to build up to Darkseid, but this is clearly not the right way to go about it.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I actually enjoyed the movie quite a bit.

Then again, I actually went and saw the movie myself instead of using critics to validate the opinion I formed the day the movie was announced.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
At some point, dorks HAVE to recognize just how close together Marvel movies and DC movies are. From flat, uninteresting characters to bland, cookie-cutter plots, at some point people have to recognize just how bad all these shared-universe comic book movies are. Right?