Justified's Nick Searcy Goes Rage-Nuts On Twitter

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
rbstewart7263 said:
Susan Arendt said:
josemlopes said:
What I dont get is why game jornos (and probably other jornos) had to go there all passive agressive on his crap, arent they supposed to simply report what happened instead of throwing stones?

I dont see tv reporters going up to someone famous that recently did something wrong and say passive agressive things to him while filming to get a reaction.
Well, given that I started it, I can answer that. I wasn't speaking as a game journalist, but as a fan of the show. I found his behavior on twitter to be very distasteful, and it impacted my opinion of him, and genuinely made me question whether or not I'd be able to keep watching the show. I won't be able to see his character without being reminded of him hurling nonstop insults at some random stranger on the internet. (Whatever the provocation, his behavior was really vile.) He immediately laid into me, calling me fat and stupid, accusing me of calling him a racist and a bigot (I did neither) and people in my twitter feed - which is largely game journalists, as you might expect - picked up on it. Many of them are *also* fans of Justified, and were just as disappointed as I was. And then people in their feeds picked it up, and so on. Searcy laid into all of them, as well.

So that's why a bunch of game journalists ended up arguing with an actor all day yesterday. The intention was never for this to be a story, but it kind of became one.
It sucks finding out that the man playing such a lovable character is such an asshat. I love art mullen and for me I wont be able to simply not know whats going to happen between him and raylan this season. Have you decided whether to watch or not susan?
I haven't. I adore the show, but it'll be difficult to enjoy any scene with Art in it now. Of course, he's not a huge part of the show, so perhaps it won't be that bad. Definitely won't be watching for a while, though.

Sarge034 said:
Susan Arendt said:
He did name drop the show, actually, as proof of how he is a "somebody" and the people replying to him were "nobodies."
Then the story was reported badly. Nothing in the article said that he did and none of the tweets shown did either. A big part of the end of the story was people calling for his head, so to speak, so the rational as to why the executives should have given a damn was pertinent information.

Anyway fat jokes are bad but people are allowed to have opinions that conflict with your own. If that one guy thinks homosexuality is akin to incest that is his prerogative and I give massive props to this Sercy guy for standing up for his friend. He was being inflammatory sure, but you and everyone else who felt the need to reply are just as guilty in the situation.

I can relate to Sercy in a roundabout way. Due to my life experiences and personality I often have the "unpopular" view and I'm not afraid to share it. Sometimes I share it in earnest and sometimes I share it just to bring out the hypocrisy of the social justice warriors. Those who would fall on the sword to preserve "free speech" up until the point they don't like what you have to say.

Sorry, but I vehemently disagree. I wasn't wrong to state that I found his behavior disappointing. I have no problem with someone stating an opinion, but hammering away on someone by saying "you're fat" isn't doing that. If he wanted to defend his politics, fair enough, but that's not at all what happened. Also, if you think he was in the right to then respond to me saying that his actions were disappointing by calling me fat and stupid, I cannot fathom your reasoning.

FalloutJack said:
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Occam's Razor to me suggested that the amount of actors who like flushing their careers down the tube with increasingly stupid and inane comments is rather nil. Put simply: Show me the lawsuit proving he dun it and I'll believe it. 'Till then, it's up in the air.
If you're looking for proof that the tweets are, in fact, coming from Searcy himself, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMnGleAN92E

Admiral Reasonable

Feb 25, 2014
Country
Australia
Baldwin has been known as a little too similar to Animal Mother for some time now. And Nick Searcy was on the Right, I just don't think people knew how far to the right.

The thing I've found interesting about all this, is how willing he is to engage with ANYONE who tweets him. Albeit, you can't have any kind of discussion with him without him at best saying you were calling him a racist (no one was) or at worst calling you fat. Also, the "I'm a big successful star" stuff is actually kind of sad.

If I had to psyche 101 him, then I'd say he is a deeply insecure man at the end of his career (it is always looking like Art is going to be written out of Justified), and this has manifested itself into a victim complex against an ideology he disagrees with.

But yeah, both sides have not come out of this looking good. But I've gotta say - the people in this thread who are talking about how 'funny' making homophobic statements is, efffectively oppressing people's freedom as consenting adults, probably should have a bit of a reflect on what kind of people they are.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
People here are actually defending him. Holy fuck, now I've seen it all. I bet you agreed with the pope when he defended pedophile priests as well. Disgusting.
Someone call me whenever this guy dies, I'll be sure to celebrate. People like him are bullies, and bullies are, to me, on a lower level than what I scoop out of my cat's litter bin on a daily basis.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Sarge034 said:
the hypocrisy of the social justice warriors. Those who would fall on the sword to preserve "free speech" up until the point they don't like what you have to say.
Remember, that cuts both ways. If Searcy has the right to stand up for his friend (let's set aside the distinct possibility of trolling), everyone else has the right to call him out on it.

Also, did any of the people who jumped into the ring with Searcy make a serious effort so silence him?

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
The people taking this seriously are the best part of it all. Apart from Searcy's wonderfully played apology song.

Admiral Reasonable

Feb 25, 2014
Country
Australia
Flammablezeus said:
The people taking this seriously are the best part of it all. Apart from Searcy's wonderfully played apology song.
I imagine people who have their lives affected adversely by people who have views like Searcy's, an overwhelming amount of whom seem to be in the US Legislature, probably would take it seriously.

Are you someone who rallies against the cry of "white male privilege" as being in the minds of "liberal victims"? If so, you should probably give a bit of empathy a try. I don't know if it is true of you or not, nor do I really care, but you come across as someone who has never experienced adversity.

Oct 20, 2010
Mersadeon said:
RoonMian said:
Mersadeon said:
"You're only offended by fat-shaming because you're fat!"

Yeah, just like you can only be offended by racism if you're black. Jesus Christ, that guys logic...

And apart from that, I will not talk about this. Otherwise I'll just rant about the way people twist free speech arguments AND I WILL NEVER STOP RANTING.
Funny you mention racism... Here is the dialog that I think was at the core of the whole thing: http://www.peacock-panache.com/2014/02/adam-baldwin-and-nick-searcys-anti-gay.html

Note how Searcy calls Peacock a racist completely out of the blue, too.
I didn't mean to imply he is a racist (I don't know if he is), I just wanted to say that his logic is flawed, since he essentially tries to legitimize his hate by saying that anyone who feels offended by blatant insults is somehow exactly what the insult says they are, and that somehow makes it ok in his mind. I just can't (under)stand that.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for an healthy lifestyle and I do have some criticism with the whole "it's totally ok to be morbidly obese"-crowd, but insulting people just for the way they look (or he thinks they might look, since I doubt he even googled most of the people he insulted) is blatantly wrong and abhorrent, and he can be GLAD that he lives in a country where that shit flies, because here he might have been sued for insult. Sure, he would, at most, get a small fine for that, but it would mean that if he did it again the punishment would get worse and worse.

Ten bucks sez this degrades to name calling and Fat jokes. / gets popcorn

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Sorry, but I vehemently disagree. I wasn't wrong to state that I found his behavior disappointing. I have no problem with someone stating an opinion, but hammering away on someone by saying "you're fat" isn't doing that. If he wanted to defend his politics, fair enough, but that's not at all what happened. Also, if you think he was in the right to then respond to me saying that his actions were disappointing by calling me fat and stupid, I cannot fathom your reasoning.
I'm working off the information given in the article. So the only information I have is that the homosexuality statement was made, the social defense force attacked Adam Baldwin for his views, Nick Searcy stepped in to defend his friend, and the first shot fired was AT Searcy with the passive aggressive quip by Tim Peacock. At that point perhaps he decided to troll the fuck outta everyone because he was angry at the hypocrisy, he might have been angered that random people were commenting on something without knowing the whole story, he may simply have become combative on the subject after being attacked, or maybe he really is a world class douchebag, I just don't know.

And no, you were not wrong to state your opinion on the matter. HOWEVER, once things got personal it was everyone's fault that continued it. That Tim Peacock guy was not attacking the idea but basically saying Baldwin or Searcy (article didn't show who his comment was directed at) shouldn't have a job because of their stance on homosexuality. Let's turn that around and see how flamebait-y it is , shall we? "You should be fired because you support homosexual rights." This is what I'm talking about with the hypocrisy of the social warriors. They would vehemently oppose that statement but are fine with "You should be fired because you oppose homosexuality".

Animyr said:
Remember, that cuts both ways. If Searcy has the right to stand up for his friend (let's set aside the distinct possibility of trolling), everyone else has the right to call him out on it.

Also, did any of the people who jumped into the ring with Searcy make a serious effort so silence him?
I have to remind myself of that every day, and I don't have a problem with conflicting opinions. I personally don't feel that homosexuality is akin to incest and I would say as much, but when people started personally attacking these folks for their views it crossed the line. Make no mistake Searcy crossed the line too by making personal insults, but quite a few of these social justice warriors are looking to destroy his career because of his views on homosexuality. That's the biggest crock of hypocritical bullshit I've seen in a while.

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Sarge034 said:
I get why people are mad at what he said, but what I don't understand is why people think the management over at Justified should do anything about it. He was on his own time, his own twitter account, and didn't name drop the show...
He did name drop the show, actually, as proof of how he is a "somebody" and the people replying to him were "nobodies."
its amazing at how people don't understand what he is doing.

If Will Ferral did this would you think he was having a meltdown? No you probably wouldn't. This is just Nick's sense of humor.

Of course raging against someone who is calling people fat who is reciving death threats is kind of an odd thing to do.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010

I don't really care who's in the wrong or in the right or who's trolling who. His tweets are just plain hilarious. I don't think it even warrants any serious discussion. Just grab some popcorn and watch the show.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
FalloutJack said:
Oh, for god's sake, Escapist. It's obviously a troll. Do actors REALLY go around calling people fat, stupid, and ugly all the time if they want ever to retain anyone's commission? My guess would be an angry Ex-Escapist giving you the run-around.
Except you can see that the twitter account is verified, so unless his details were compromised, that really is him.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
clippen05 said:
FalloutJack said:
Oh, for god's sake, Escapist. It's obviously a troll. Do actors REALLY go around calling people fat, stupid, and ugly all the time if they want ever to retain anyone's commission? My guess would be an angry Ex-Escapist giving you the run-around.
Except you can see that the twitter account is verified, so unless his details were compromised, that really is him.
No no, we got past all that. I made the theory of hacking, because that happened before, and then Susan pointed out a video in which the guy was singing offensive remarks. Turns out he WAS being that dumb.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Sarge034 said:
the first shot fired was AT Searcy with the passive aggressive quip by Tim Peacock.
The one where he talks to the company and calls it shameful? That was clearly talking about Baldwin. At any rate, Peacock pointed out what Baldwin said to his employers and let them know he disapproved of Baldwin, and implied that he thought less of them for employing him. While you might disagree about whether or not Baldwin's actions warranted that, I fail to see how any of those things were inappropriate, illegal, or hypocritical to do.( Mind you, I have no idea who Tom Peacock is.)

Sarge034 said:
quite a few of these social justice warriors are looking to destroy his career because of his views on homosexuality.
How so? Also, from what I can tell, Searcy has not so much expressed his views on homosexuality so much as his views on how much everyone he doesn't like weighs. From what I can also tell, Searcy is also the only one who has routinely misrepresented the views and positions of his opponents. Both of these things are very different from simply expressing political views and, dare I say it, providing rational arguments.

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
FalloutJack said:
clippen05 said:
FalloutJack said:
No no, we got past all that. I made the theory of hacking, because that happened before, and then Susan pointed out a video in which the guy was singing offensive remarks. Turns out he WAS being that dumb.
no he was trolling twitter essentially. He was mocking the people who get up and arms over the slightest thing

Just listen to his apology song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMnGleAN92E

If you don't understand the significance of the song then look up Short People got no reason to live.

Admiral Reasonable

Feb 25, 2014
Country
Australia
bobdole1979 said:
FalloutJack said:
clippen05 said:
FalloutJack said:
no he was trolling twitter essentially. He was mocking the people who get up and arms over the slightest thing

Just listen to his apology song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMnGleAN92E

If you don't understand the significance of the song then look up Short People got no reason to live.
But this really goes to the heart of the problem - equating homosexuality with incest (which was the essence of Baldwin's original asinine, logically flawed tweet) is not people "who get in arms over the slightest thing". That is hate speech.

The person who "got up in arms" was Searcy, who could not assemble a coherent defence of Baldwin's hate, and resorted to bullying, name calling, and most damning of all, issuing a 'strawman defence' of being called racist, which I have failed to find anywhere in the discourse. He invented a charge against himself, so he could dismiss any actual discussion over Baldwin's original assertion with more fallacies.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
bobdole1979 said:
No no no, what you missed was basically that my opening theory about the Ex-Escapist was proven incorrect by Susan, so there's no need to inform me.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
bobdole1979 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Sarge034 said:
I get why people are mad at what he said, but what I don't understand is why people think the management over at Justified should do anything about it. He was on his own time, his own twitter account, and didn't name drop the show...
its amazing at how people don't understand what he is doing.

If Will Ferral did this would you think he was having a meltdown? No you probably wouldn't. This is just Nick's sense of humor.

Of course raging against someone who is calling people fat who is reciving death threats is kind of an odd thing to do.
It is hard to believe how many people are thick enough to not see this for what it is. However, if it wasn't for them, this wouldn't be as entertaining as I've found it.