Justified's Nick Searcy Goes Rage-Nuts On Twitter

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Baresark said:
Floppertje said:
It is wrong to call someone's bullshit on a forum that everyone can see, and then act like you are surprised and hurt when they turn their loud mouth on you. The best way to deal with people like that moron is to ignore them, not publicly talk about them on Twitter. Or you can, you know, leave out the references to them that link your comment to there twitter page. But they didn't do that, so I almost feel like they deserve what they got and that it's disingenuous of them to write an article on the site that makes them sound like victims.

I think you have the subtext correct, actually. People who are against SSM draw some pretty gruesome and pretty inappropriate parallels with other things. One of the more common comparisons is that with beastiality. They say, "what's next, people gonna start marrying their dog". They make some pretty specious arguments regarding something that literally has no effect at all on their lives.
Aren't you supposed to tell idiots when they're exhibiting unacceptable behavior? but yeah, it's kinda naive to call someone out on their asshattery (it's not swearing when you're talking about a hat shaped like a donkey) and not expect some kind of retaliation.

Also... weren't we kindof over the whole dehumanizing other groups of people thing? you know, apart from when we label them terrorists.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
GarouxBloodline said:
Robot Number V said:
GarouxBloodline said:
Robot Number V said:
Wait...The main thing I'm taking away from this is that the guy who played Jayne on Firefly is homophobic.

I mean...that kinda sucks.
GarouxBloodline said:
At this point, there is nothing else to do short of acting like a victim. And at least he gets brownie points for avoiding that option.
Or he could, you know, get off of Twitter.
That falls under the same category as watching everyone work themselves into a tizzy. Unless you are new to the Internet, you already know this. ;)
Well, that definitely isn't true. If he's not there, he's not watching anything. Sure, people will still be fighting on Twitter, but separating himself from it would still be miles better than actively contributing to it, especially in such a childishly aggressive manner.

OR he could, you know, make the slightest attempt at acting like a grown-ass adult. I'm sure people are being equally horrible to him, but he could just ignore those people and only respond to the civil people, in an equally civilized manner.

Right now, he's just lashing out at everyone with childish nonsense. Are you really going to try to say that this is best possible option?
Cannot really say that I appreciate you putting words into my mouth.

1. Suggesting that he leaves Twitter permanently over this is asinine, especially in his line of work. So yeah, it does fall under the same category because whether he responds, does not respond, or takes a short break from Twitter, it still all winds up to him coming back and seeing everyone with their panties in a bunch.

2. Please show me where I ever said what he is doing now is the best option. The only time I ever said anything about preferable actions is that at least he is not playing the victim game. So please, in the future, read my comments thoroughly before you respond to them, because I really do not like the redundancy of repeating myself.
Fair enough. Here:
GarouxBloodline said:
You are quoting me as if I was defending him even in the least. Ultimately, all my post meant is that in one comment, he was attacked by an Internet mob mentality, and how he is enjoying (he quite obviously is enjoying this) watching everyone get themselves up in a tizzy while he can. At this point, there is nothing else to do short of acting like a victim. And at least he gets brownie points for avoiding that option.
The part in bold is mainly what I was referring to. I thought you meant there was nothing else for him to do, other than what he is currently doing (i.e., throwing a tantrum on the internet). Besides, he's not just watching people get worked up, he's actively fueling the fire. There is absolutely a difference between those two things. How you can possibly think otherwise is a mystery to me.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Robot Number V said:
GarouxBloodline said:
Robot Number V said:
GarouxBloodline said:
Robot Number V said:
Wait...The main thing I'm taking away from this is that the guy who played Jayne on Firefly is homophobic.

GarouxBloodline said:
At this point, there is nothing else to do short of acting like a victim. And at least he gets brownie points for avoiding that option.
Or he could, you know, get off of Twitter.
That falls under the same category as watching everyone work themselves into a tizzy. Unless you are new to the Internet, you already know this. ;)
Well, that definitely isn't true. If he's not there, he's not watching anything. Sure, people will still be fighting on Twitter, but separating himself from it would still be miles better than actively contributing to it, especially in such a childishly aggressive manner.

OR he could, you know, make the slightest attempt at acting like a grown-ass adult. I'm sure people are being equally horrible to him, but he could just ignore those people and only respond to the civil people, in an equally civilized manner.

Right now, he's just lashing out at everyone with childish nonsense. Are you really going to try to say that this is best possible option?
Cannot really say that I appreciate you putting words into my mouth.

1. Suggesting that he leaves Twitter permanently over this is asinine, especially in his line of work. So yeah, it does fall under the same category because whether he responds, does not respond, or takes a short break from Twitter, it still all winds up to him coming back and seeing everyone with their panties in a bunch.

2. Please show me where I ever said what he is doing now is the best option. The only time I ever said anything about preferable actions is that at least he is not playing the victim game. So please, in the future, read my comments thoroughly before you respond to them, because I really do not like the redundancy of repeating myself.
Fair enough. Here:
GarouxBloodline said:
You are quoting me as if I was defending him even in the least. Ultimately, all my post meant is that in one comment, he was attacked by an Internet mob mentality, and how he is enjoying (he quite obviously is enjoying this) watching everyone get themselves up in a tizzy while he can. At this point, there is nothing else to do short of acting like a victim. And at least he gets brownie points for avoiding that option.
The part in bold is mainly what I was referring to. I thought you meant there was nothing else for him to do, other than what he is currently doing (i.e., throwing a tantrum on the internet). Besides, he's not just watching people get worked up, he's actively fueling the fire. There is absolutely a difference between those two things. How you can possibly think otherwise is a mystery to me.
How I can possibly think otherwise is you putting thoughts into my head now. I am not going to re-elaborate: you are simply going to have to quote where I ever said that what he is doing is right in any form, and you are also going to have to quote me saying that there is not a difference between '''JUST''' watching and fueling the fire (it is too late for him to just watch now, which is why I never listed that as an option). Because last time I checked, I made no such claims.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
RoonMian said:
Mersadeon said:
"You're only offended by fat-shaming because you're fat!"

Yeah, just like you can only be offended by racism if you're black. Jesus Christ, that guys logic...

And apart from that, I will not talk about this. Otherwise I'll just rant about the way people twist free speech arguments AND I WILL NEVER STOP RANTING.
Funny you mention racism... Here is the dialog that I think was at the core of the whole thing: http://www.peacock-panache.com/2014/02/adam-baldwin-and-nick-searcys-anti-gay.html

Note how Searcy calls Peacock a racist completely out of the blue, too.
I didn't mean to imply he is a racist (I don't know if he is), I just wanted to say that his logic is flawed, since he essentially tries to legitimize his hate by saying that anyone who feels offended by blatant insults is somehow exactly what the insult says they are, and that somehow makes it ok in his mind. I just can't (under)stand that.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for an healthy lifestyle and I do have some criticism with the whole "it's totally ok to be morbidly obese"-crowd, but insulting people just for the way they look (or he thinks they might look, since I doubt he even googled most of the people he insulted) is blatantly wrong and abhorrent, and he can be GLAD that he lives in a country where that shit flies, because here he might have been sued for insult. Sure, he would, at most, get a small fine for that, but it would mean that if he did it again the punishment would get worse and worse.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Reed Spacer said:
Yes, but was it justifiable?

Yes, I went there.

Is it just me, or is Twitter equating with insanity recently?
You know; 'justifiable'? Because the show's called Jus...

Ah, screw you guys; I'm goin' home.
Oh damn it...

Seriously, though, at this point Twitter breakdowns are as common as Fox News fearmongering.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
RoonMian said:
Mersadeon said:
I didn't mean to imply that you meant to imply he was one.
Oh. Sorry. I guess I didn't read that properly. I'm trying to think of a way to include the word "imply" here to keep the joke going, but I kinda can't think of a way that wouldn't be overly forced. Oh well.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Mersadeon said:
RoonMian said:
Mersadeon said:
I didn't mean to imply that you meant to imply he was one.
Oh. Sorry. I guess I didn't read that properly. I'm trying to think of a way to include the word "imply" here to keep the joke going, but I kinda can't think of a way that wouldn't be overly forced. Oh well.
:D

That's all right, at least you noticed it. That already makes me very happy :D

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
ScrabbitRabbit said:
FalloutJack said:
Oh, for god's sake, Escapist. It's obviously a troll. Do actors REALLY go around calling people fat, stupid, and ugly all the time if they want ever to retain anyone's commission? My guess would be an angry Ex-Escapist giving you the run-around.
The Blue Tick on Twitter means that the account has been verified as the official account of that celebrity. This is actually him.
And so is every X-Box user whose kid started buying stuff at random, racking up hundreds in bills. So is every person who ever got their identity stolen to be used illicitly or just for laughs. And so on. We can't ALL be Charlie Sheen, you know. If it sounds like a child talking, then Occam's Razor, perhaps it IS a child talking.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
FalloutJack said:
ScrabbitRabbit said:
FalloutJack said:
Oh, for god's sake, Escapist. It's obviously a troll. Do actors REALLY go around calling people fat, stupid, and ugly all the time if they want ever to retain anyone's commission? My guess would be an angry Ex-Escapist giving you the run-around.
The Blue Tick on Twitter means that the account has been verified as the official account of that celebrity. This is actually him.
And so is every X-Box user whose kid started buying stuff at random, racking up hundreds in bills. So is every person who ever got their identity stolen to be used illicitly or just for laughs. And so on. We can't ALL be Charlie Sheen, you know. If it sounds like a child talking, then Occam's Razor, perhaps it IS a child talking.
What you're suggesting is that somebody broke into a TV actor's account just to have a go at some game journalists? Wouldn't Occam's Razor suggest that, maybe, the guy is just a bit of stupid dick?

The fact that he's STILL arguing on Twitter right now would suggest it wasn't a stolen account. If it was, the account would be disabled or back in his hands by now. He even posted a picture of himself for mocking purposes.

https://twitter.com/yesnicksearcy/status/438430124480815104/photo/1

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
I love justified and his character art mullen too much to go boycotting or anything but it is a shame. though I wonder what sparked this kind of outrage?

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
ScrabbitRabbit said:
FalloutJack said:
ScrabbitRabbit said:
FalloutJack said:
What you're suggesting is that somebody broke into a TV actor's account just to have a go at some game journalists? Wouldn't Occam's Razor suggest that, maybe, the guy is just a bit of stupid dick?

The fact that he's STILL arguing on Twitter right now would suggest it wasn't a stolen account. If it was, the account would be disabled or back in his hands by now. He even posted a picture of himself for mocking purposes.

https://twitter.com/yesnicksearcy/status/438430124480815104/photo/1
Well you see he didnt specifically target anyone. This didnt involve games journalists until they commented on it so the claim that his twitter is hacked is still plausible though barely so.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
rbstewart7263 said:
Well you see he didnt specifically target anyone. This didnt involve games journalists until they commented on it so the claim that his twitter is hacked is still plausible though barely so.
True, but FalloutJack was suggesting that he might be a peeved ex-Escapist, which would suggest the account was compromised for this purpose.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
josemlopes said:
What I dont get is why game jornos (and probably other jornos) had to go there all passive agressive on his crap, arent they supposed to simply report what happened instead of throwing stones?

I dont see tv reporters going up to someone famous that recently did something wrong and say passive agressive things to him while filming to get a reaction.
Well, given that I started it, I can answer that. I wasn't speaking as a game journalist, but as a fan of the show. I found his behavior on twitter to be very distasteful, and it impacted my opinion of him, and genuinely made me question whether or not I'd be able to keep watching the show. I won't be able to see his character without being reminded of him hurling nonstop insults at some random stranger on the internet. (Whatever the provocation, his behavior was really vile.) He immediately laid into me, calling me fat and stupid, accusing me of calling him a racist and a bigot (I did neither) and people in my twitter feed - which is largely game journalists, as you might expect - picked up on it. Many of them are *also* fans of Justified, and were just as disappointed as I was. And then people in their feeds picked it up, and so on. Searcy laid into all of them, as well.

So that's why a bunch of game journalists ended up arguing with an actor all day yesterday. The intention was never for this to be a story, but it kind of became one.
It sucks finding out that the man playing such a lovable character is such an asshat. I love art mullen and for me I wont be able to simply not know whats going to happen between him and raylan this season. Have you decided whether to watch or not susan?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Occam's Razor to me suggested that the amount of actors who like flushing their careers down the tube with increasingly stupid and inane comments is rather nil. Put simply: Show me the lawsuit proving he dun it and I'll believe it. 'Till then, it's up in the air.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Robot Number V said:

That's what I said. It's like, "Goddammit man, you were Superman."

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
He did name drop the show, actually, as proof of how he is a "somebody" and the people replying to him were "nobodies."
Then the story was reported badly. Nothing in the article said that he did and none of the tweets shown did either. A big part of the end of the story was people calling for his head, so to speak, so the rational as to why the executives should have given a damn was pertinent information.

Anyway fat jokes are bad but people are allowed to have opinions that conflict with your own. If that one guy thinks homosexuality is akin to incest that is his prerogative and I give massive props to this Sercy guy for standing up for his friend. He was being inflammatory sure, but you and everyone else who felt the need to reply are just as guilty in the situation.

I can relate to Sercy in a roundabout way. Due to my life experiences and personality I often have the "unpopular" view and I'm not afraid to share it. Sometimes I share it in earnest and sometimes I share it just to bring out the hypocrisy of the social justice warriors. Those who would fall on the sword to preserve "free speech" up until the point they don't like what you have to say.

drschplatt

Aug 18, 2010
Wow, he called someone fat and everyone gets their knickers all in a wad.

How many super start Hollywood have gone on vulgar, profanity laced, racist, antisemitic, hateful rants yet still get basically no real response from anyone about it? This is a story because some game journalist got their poor feelings hurt.

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
Sarge034 said:
I get why people are mad at what he said, but what I don't understand is why people think the management over at Justified should do anything about it. He was on his own time, his own twitter account, and didn't name drop the show...
Well the pack of people on the internet disagrees with something that was said. So therefore, in their minds, they are right to not only silence him, but get him fired from his job. It seems a popular thing to these days.