K Computer Makes Your Gaming Rig Look Lazy

Eefness

Jan 25, 2011
And here i am, not once in my life owning a decent damn computer*sigh* I cant wait to save up enough money to play as many games on the absolute highest settings possible with 0 lag. T_T back to my laptop then.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
The fun thing about supercomputers is just how many of the big ones are used in weather forecasting. Think about that for a minute, or rather think about how often your local weather forecasts are wrong. Almost all of the computers are weaker than that, an interesting commentary on computer power and the unpredictability of weather. :)

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
TimeLord said:
£10 says it still can't run Crysis on ultra settings and chugs when things get busy!

I'm not saying it ain't a darn impressive machine. But Crysis is trial by fire for a computer.
You're living in the past, we have tamed the Crysis beast. Metro 2033 however...

I wonder how they are cooling it?

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
(Obligatory "But can it run Crysis on max settings" joke)
...Ninja'd. D=
Some how I doubt all of that would fit into a Gundam though...

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
As a country, Japan is known primarily for three things: animated characters with eyes that would make a baby deer jealous, inventive culinary applications for raw fish, and an overriding obsession with the latest and greatest technology.
Seriously?

SERIOUSLY??

You're listing the things for which Japan is known, and schoolgirl uniforms doesn't make the short list? Did you even do ANY research for this article?

;-)

On topic, I like this picture better:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/20/top_500_supers_june_2011/

noolli

Feb 5, 2008
MercurySteam said:
Haven't they heard of water cooling or Noctua?
They wouldn't use cooling like that the amount of water needed would be a lot and with 68,000 CPUs they likelihood of 1 going wrong would be high and dangerous. But those types of cooling require more space than what is available in those server racks and so larger fans which go over many racks are used, server room cooling is never quiet and with a lot of cooling fans the noise will add up.

thethain

Jul 23, 2010
TypeSD said:
Annoying Turd said:
What do they use such supercomputers for anyway? Mining Bitcoins? The SETI project? Protein Folding problems? Or simply calculating pi? :p

check out TOP500 to see applications that Supercomputers are running and their hardware. Some are classified.

http://www.top500.org/
So I went to the site. Apparently over half of the proccessing power of the top500 super computers is being used for "Research" and "Not Specified".

I guess I was wishing for something a little more detailed. Like knowing if they are protein folding or the like.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
thethain said:
TypeSD said:
Annoying Turd said:
What do they use such supercomputers for anyway? Mining Bitcoins? The SETI project? Protein Folding problems? Or simply calculating pi? :p

check out TOP500 to see applications that Supercomputers are running and their hardware. Some are classified.

http://www.top500.org/
So I went to the site. Apparently over half of the proccessing power of the top500 super computers is being used for "Research" and "Not Specified".

I guess I was wishing for something a little more detailed. Like knowing if they are protein folding or the like.
Probably stuff a little more complicated than that. Look them up on wikipedia individually and each supercomputer's page should tell you.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
That's very diplomatic, but I think we can all see where Japan is going with this whole "K computer" project. I mean, who did you expect would pilot that life-sized Gundam they built [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99302-Japans-Life-Sized-Gundam-Returns-With-Active-Weaponry]? Whiny teenagers?
Oh god. It all makes sense now; they're building the Gundam's Mind! The supercomputer will run the Gundam from afar as it wreaks havoc down upon our puny mortal realm and nobody shall be able to stop it! We're doomed! We're all doomed! Now; where's my Robot Apocalypse Survival Guide?

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
It runs Linux. So no, it can't run Crysis.

Still, I'd like to know what kind of research they actually perform with it.
However, something tells me it'll involve portals. And deadly neurotoxin, obviously.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
immovablemover said:
"In layman's terms, that would be 8.162 quadrillion floating point operations per second."

uhm...anyone care to put that in actual Laymans terms? I mean, if you don't expect the layman to know what a petaflop is do you really expect them to know what a floating point operation is?
It means it can run TWO copies of half life 2 AT ONCE and STILL have the memory left over for a game of solitaire whilst they load.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/253824

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I always thought Skynet was to be based in America... meh, once its operating for like a week, Lulzsec will have it cracked.