Keeping Batman Original

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Keeping Batman Original

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Batman, I'm more of a casual user. While I can understand the desire to keep things original with new villains for each Arkham game, there is a reason why a clutch of Batman's villains are a lot better known than others

Read Full Article

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Bahahahahaha! 'Wonky Vision'? Isnt that just a villian too into ketamine? Then again, hallucinogenics are quite common in this batverse

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Well anyways, The doctor could consider himself a judge of sorts, only helping those he feels worthy, while horrifically mutilating those he dislikes of disagrees with. Maybe begin with someone relatable that slowly slips into insanity with past mental pains and present bad company

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Personally I hope that they stop making batman games and try out something else, I would love a flash game.

Oct 30, 2010
Yeah, Catman got gritty, and it was fantastic (ironically, Deadshot and Bane were in the series too).

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I agree that the new-villains policy needs to go. It's the same problems that has always plagued superhero movies. At this rate, it won't be long before we see an Arkham Asylum remake/reboot.

I am of course over exaggerating, but it really does bug me how much of a missed opportunity Arkham Origins is.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I'd like to see how hilarious a gritty version of Calendar Man would be. He's pretty damned comical as is so getting all edgy and stuff would be some funny stuff.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
The Crime Doctor was actually given an episode in the always excellent Batman: TAS.
Synopsis and episode right here:

http://dubbed-scene.com/batman-animated-series-53-paging-crime-doctor

"Dr. Matthew Thorne, forced into losing his medical license and becoming the crime doctor by his younger brother, crime bass Rupert Thorne, must perform delicate surgery on Rupert. He cant do it alone, and kidnaps Dr. Leslie Thompkins to assist. Batman discovers Leslies disappearance, and rushes to track her down. In the process we learn how Matthew is basically a good man: when he learns that Ruperts men will ultimately kill Leslie, he goes against his brother to save her."

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
antidonkey said:
I'd like to see how hilarious a gritty version of Calendar Man would be. He's pretty damned comical as is so getting all edgy and stuff would be some funny stuff.
I think they gave him fair treatment in Arkham City.

http://kotaku.com/5851356/how-to-get-arkham-citys-one+year-calendar-man-achievement-in-one-hour-probably

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
antidonkey said:
They already beat you to it.

OT: I would like to see a gritty version of the TV series villains . Egghead was as gimmicky as any of the Batman villains get, but at least it had on his favor that was played by Vincent Price in the 60s. Also bring King Tut, who was original of the series and was similar to Maximilian Zeus (Egyptian themed instead of Greek mythology)...

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
I'm a little ashamed at how long I laughed at the proposed grittification for [the?] Crime Doctor.

This article reminds me, one of the reasons I was excited for Arkham Asylum leading up to its release was because I heard that Killer Moth would be in it, a parody of all the silly, gimmick-based D-List supervillains this article is about. It's even more disappointing that Arkham Origins's focus on lesser-known villains didn't warrant his inclusion, especially since a prequel would be a prime opportunity to introduce some levity instead of being even darker and bleaker than Arkham City for some reason.

(Mind you, after awhile the comics disappointingly transformed him into a giant moth monster named Charaxes, so Arkham Origins likely would have gone with that version of the character and upped the ante by making Charaxes as generally Shelob-like as possible.)

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
chikusho said:
antidonkey said:
I think they gave him fair treatment in Arkham City.

http://kotaku.com/5851356/how-to-get-arkham-citys-one+year-calendar-man-achievement-in-one-hour-probably
I had no idea he was in City. One of these days I'll play it. I've had it for quite a while but can't quite bring myself to play it. I tend to find other games more appealing in my queue of crap I've purchased ages ago and need to play.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I had better be thwarting some Hostess snack based crimes in the next one or I'm not buying

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
squid5580 said:
I had better be thwarting some Hostess snack based crimes in the next one or I'm not buying
Or Popsicle Pete [http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-8-most-baffling-food-mascots-all-time_p3/].

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
antidonkey said:
I had no idea he was in City. One of these days I'll play it. I've had it for quite a while but can't quite bring myself to play it. I tend to find other games more appealing in my queue of crap I've purchased ages ago and need to play.
He's only in there as a side character, mostly like a delivery mechanism for easter eggs.
Kind of like how Zsasz just showed up for a moment in the beginning of Arkham Asylum.

Synthetica

Jul 10, 2013
themilo504 said:
Personally I hope that they stop making batman games and try out something else, I would love a flash game.
There are enough flash games. Oh, wait, that other flash... Ehmm... There... is... a TF2 scout hat that looks like part of his costume?

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Thanatos2k said:
I'm a fan of the Clock King myself.
That would be awesome. Though I only know him though the DCAU. I don't know how well a straight fight between them would go, (In the series he knew the exact timing for all of Batman's moves.) but it would be cool to at least see him running a string of crimes with a team planning every move down to the second Task Force X style.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Let's not forget that several of the most loved rogues gallery villains in Batman were jokes originally. Like Mr. Frieze. Before The Animated Series of the 90s came along, Mr. Frieze wasn't very interesting or compelling. He was just a character with a cold gimmick. So, I'm all for them trying out some of the lesser known villains, just as long as they actually do something to make them interesting.

And really, another facet I want to see explored is the question of why are there so many loons in Gotham? You don't see that in the other DC comics characters. The rogues gallery of Superman and Wonder Woman are all sane as can be. So, what is it about Gotham that brings out the loons? There's an interesting question to explore.