Kelis slams UK for racism

pulse2

May 10, 2008
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/kelis-slams-uk-race-attack-024307736.html

I'm not entirely sure why she's blaming the whole country for a few idiots, maybe some of these American celebs should stay here properly for a while and they'd soon realize that we aren't as intimidating and aggressive as we are made to seem. She blames the entire country but I as a black male have yet to encounter anyone racist towards me in all my 23 years of living in the UK. Maybe people are racist towards me without me noticing but what you don't know can't hurt right?

I suppose I can't be an example because I'm just 1 person, but I do obey the law and I have a variety of different race friends, so I like to think that maybe I can disprove her opinion. I'm kind of annoyed with her in fact, slandering us all and making us seem like the bad eggs in he world is just downright out of order. If anything, we are more liberal than most countries in the world today, we are amongst the most racially diverse countries in the world, we are amongst the most sexually diverse countries in the world and what would not pass as acceptable in most countries is acceptable here. If anything, you could say we are TOO accepting at times.

First and foremost, she queue jumped, I don't know why she felt she had the right to, and what that man said was unacceptable, but I wouldn't blame the whole of Spain just because a few Spanish are racist to footballers for example, she should learn manners if she wants to avoid confrontation.

Anyway, enough of my rant, what do you guys think?

EDIT: What makes me laugh is the fact that if anything, British have collectively taken a stand against illegal immigrants and extremists wanting to change our ways, its only the riots that brought up this White vs Black argument again, otherwise (apart from those who WANT to be the subject of suspicion based on the way they act and dress) its as she said, 'swept under the carpet', and so it should be, we are fed up hearing about racism, races (the ones I know anyway) just want a relaxed life with fellow members of other races, but yet, we have Americans preaching "burn the Quran day" and calling gay people "scum" in most states (except the few that have accepted it now), but that's okay is it?

EDIT 2: For those asking who she is:
- http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=984&bih=753&q=kelis&gbv=2&oq=kelis&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=5883l6399l0l7125l5l2l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0
- http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kelis&aq=f
- Notably: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3JFwd1bk4Q

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I live in North Wales. The only "racism" here is angry welsh people vocally insulting the English.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
scw55 said:
I live in North Wales. The only "racism" here is angry welsh people vocally insulting the English.
Why is racism in inverted commas? It is racism.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
That's bullshit. One sweaty, red, fat probable BNP supporter does not represent the UK as a whole. If anything we're ahead of the curve on issues of race and for her to ignore everything good about our country and focus on one dickhead annoys me something fierce.

I guess she was just very pissed off, but lashing out at the undeserving isn't the way to go about it.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I'm just a little bewildered at the final sentence 'the UK Border Agency was unavailable for comment'... apart from the desk clerk... relevance?

Anyway, I have a multicultural circle of acquaintances, and the extent of 'racism' is insulting the French and taking the piss out of the Scots, Welsh and Irish (like the good English people we are...(!)).

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
So 50 people, British people, on a plane don't say anything after something incredibly embarassing happens? No shit. We're subsumed in our own embarassment, in that sort of situation.

I, thankfully, haven't seen that sort of thing in 23 years of living in this country, either.

Also, who in the UK has seen or read 'Roots'? Of my vague generation, anyway. I'm only aware of it through references on a couple of US TV programmes.

Not defending the bloke, but... she's jumping the gun, somewhat. Some moron at an airport doesn't represent the opinions of the British public.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Lukeje said:
scw55 said:
No it's not. It's xenophobia. Vaguely. And most-likely in a good-natured way.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
Oooh. Banter. My friend, this is merely an idiot in a sea of 'tards. Be the women taking the racism as offense and the said offender saying these words harshly.

My friend is from the Philippines (don't ban me for this moderators) and I call him things like "Ching-Chong", and so on, racial slurs, but only in fun. He finds it so humorous that neither of us take notice of it when we hear others being "racist". He says that if you take racism you are as much in the dark ages as people that are being deliberately and aggressively racist. We also have an African friend who enjoys "the purple drink" (watermelon/grape juice) and does overreact when someone spills it. We call him many things but he doesn't take offence and neither do I when they call me many of the white racial slurs. Again, if you take offence then you are as much of a cretin as the offender. In my opinion.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
She's an idiot and a Hypocrite.

First of all, ONE person said something racist...therefore 100+ million people are racist?

Secondly, she gets pissed that nobody in the line sprung into action to denounce the racist, even though she didn't do anything herself to denounce him. She stood there are took it in silence then gets pissed that everybody else did the same? Hell maybe they scuttled off and tweeted angrily about it.

Thirdly, I doubt that the Official laughed and shook his head out of agreement with the racist "Kunta Kinte" comment, but out of how obscure and absurd the comment was. I don't agree with the sentiment of the racist...but that comment was almost satirical in it's absurdity and that alone would have given me a chuckle; It's so racist that it's hard to believe that someone would really say that.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Lukeje said:
scw55 said:
Hey? The Welsh are a different race than the English?

Kiardras

Feb 16, 2011
Who the hell is Kelis?

Lukeje said:
scw55 said:
No its not. The welsh do it to the english, the English to the scots, the scots to other scots, and everyone does it to the Irish. The UK has the most love-hate relationship between countries ever.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
I as an American have only one thing to say about this. Sorry guys.

You see we have started to ignore them more since we realized they don't know what the @#$% there talking about half the time and are paid to be pretty not smart.

A lot of us have since stopped caring what their views are or who they think should run the country into the ground.

Like a bad child they are now bugging strangers to try and get attrition. Just ignore them and they go adopt a poor child or something to get the spot light back. Again sorry they leaked over into your country. We would try to get them more under control but as you know we Americans have really just stopped caring. We seem to have bigger thing to worry about then what some Hollywood talking head is doing.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
scw55 said:
I live on the Wirral, the only "racism" here is angry English people vocally insulting the Welsh. :p

But yeah i don't really know what she's talking about. Islamaphobia is a problem here, but not racism against other racial minorities- that all largely died out in the 80's.

I'm also slightly irked she would make such generalising statements about a nation which i doubt she knows much about, then again perhaps it's all just publicity.

lolmynamewastaken

Jun 9, 2009
if she spends alot of her time in london then surely by now she will have noticed what lengths alot of people go to to NOT be racist... "seasons greetings" opposed to marry christmas springs to minds...
i wont say that we're not a racist free country, but to slam the whole UK for one group of people seems slightly hypocritical...

Feb 13, 2008
pulse2 said:
Anyway, enough of my rant, what do you guys think?
She was at the Isle of Wight...Is the Isle of Wight even part of the UK?

Regardless, the irony of someone criticizing three(?) distinct races and numerous racial mixes for a comment of one individual, (The official could have been confounded by the name) seems just a little "overboard"?

Especially given "racially decades behind progression" doesn't even make sense. And Kelis herself is American - where I don't think America or Nigeria can preach about immigration policies or black history.

Lukeje said:
scw55 said:
Not really. There's little to no racial difference between us. Not after all this time.

By the way Kells,
"Kunta Kinte"
I don't think that's quite what he said. And then you'd be looking for sexism.

Seriously, you're expecting a bigotted racist to have read "Roots"? He's probably lucky if he can read "Nuts".

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Lukeje said:
scw55 said:
Hey? The Welsh are a different race than the English?
Yes. They're typified by having a different geographic ancestry [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_%28classification_of_human_beings%29].
thylasos said:
Lukeje said:
scw55 said:
No it's not. It's xenophobia. Vaguely. And most-likely in a good-natured way.
Why are the two mutually exclusive?
Kiardras said:
No its not. The welsh do it to the english, the English to the scots, the scots to other scots, and everyone does it to the Irish. The UK has the most love-hate relationship between countries ever.
So... it's not racism if everybody does it? That argument doesn't make sense.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
It's pretty bad here in the South West, although it's getting better. Around 99% of the population is white, and people just don't know how to react...generally it's a good reaction, but there's a significant minority that are racist. A small percentage of them will be vocal about it.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I see racism everywhere I go around where I live. Quite a few people are vocal supporters of BNP, EDF and UKIP for reasons of "Why should people who aren't British be allowed to have our jobs?" They hate anyone who's not white, noticeably only calling out the ones who look like they WON'T beat them up, and believe it's their duty to rid England of the "non-british". They obviously don't use that term but you get the idea.

However, doesn't America also have people who are like this? Racism is, unfortunately, everywhere, not restricting itself to a single country or area. By the sounds of it, she's judging the whole country on this one man on this one island who was racist. That sounds unjust, and if she goes off saying "I hate the UK, they're all racist," then I will eat up the sweet, sweet hypocrisy.

That is hypocrisy right there, right?

Finally, on her comments of us being decades behind, behind in comparison to what? To the countries surrounding Israel? To the Indian borders? Okay, you're obviously talking about the USA, but racism is the same in both countries and they are being sorted in both just as much as each other. You get the odd people who say it'd be better if all people who aren't of this country to get out and people try to ignore it. Why? Because there is no reasoning with these people. Trying to reason with them is hard, very hard. It's like trying to convince the Westboro Baptist Church to go into a gay bar. They refuse to listen to reason because they believe that they are right, everyone else is wrong, and that they are the sole hope for humanity.

Finally, I'd like to emphasize this little gem I found on her Wikipage.

Kelis' Wiki page said:
In March 2007, Kelis was detained by police in Miami Beach, Florida, and charged with disorderly conduct. The arrest report said the officers were posing as prostitutes along a main avenue in the South Beach nightclub district when Kelis started screaming racial profanities at them. She was sent to Miami-Dade County Jail, and was later released on a $1,500 bond. Citation
Calumon has no views of Racism. He loves everyone. Move along.