Kelis slams UK for racism

JordanMillward_1

May 19, 2009
Notice that she was only insulted when she tried to jump the queue at the passport desk.

So she tried to jump a queue.
In the UK.
And she wasn't lynched.

She's lucky to still be alive, since queue-jumping is a capital crime over here..

Vandy

Apr 18, 2011
Well, her milkshake did bring all the boys to the yard.
Don't trip, just a has been trying to get noticed.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
One thing I do find odd about the article is that she said the guy called her a slave... That part doesn't sit well with me. Is she sure it was a Brit that said it? Look I'm not even going to attempt to deny that there isn't racism in the U.K. There is, I know it, I live in Barnsley which is pretty notorious for its racism. Which means I hang about with racists quite a lot. Not once have I heard them use a word like "slave".

Its not something a Brit would say. We don't really have that kind of culture if you understand. Slavery to black people isn't seen as a big part of our history (we did do it, no denying that but its not something that most racists here would think of). That sounds more of an American racial slur given the meaning of it and how deep it is in Americas history.

That and well... They'd be no way of knowing who this girl is or her country of origin. So they'd be little context in the racists mind to use that slur. Look I'm about to say some nasty words here so if your offended look away. A racial slur from a Brit would be more on the lines of "Coon, Gollywog, Paki, ****** (not quite as common though) foreigner, ginner and so on" Slave really isn't one I can see being used.

I'm not denying that he said something, perhaps he called a "silly black ****" that's something I'd imagine coming from a Brit.

As far as the crowd not saying anything. Us Brits are almost famous for being reserved. Even if we didn't agree with the prick or thought it was horrid, we'd keep it to our selves or probably discuss it to the person next to us quietly. We're not the type to start screaming out because it would cause a fuss.

That being said, even if this prick did start screaming slave and was a Brit. Despite all I've said, shes still in the wrong for blaming an entire country on the actions of one silly racist. Though honestly, I just imagine her getting told off for pushing in (which is a big deal over here... take it seriously, shit'll get you killed) and going over board over it.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
But there are people like that everywhere. You only say something like that when it's the entire town that throws rocks at you.

I mean, hell, I was on the train today and some guy starts cursing out this white dude, calling his a nasty cracka. This same dude also tried to push an older lady out of getting a seat on the train.

It's defined as a moron and you keep on moving with your life.

IceStar100 said:
I as an American have only one thing to say about this. Sorry guys.
Aww, man you don't have to apologize for her behavior. If someone truly believes her point of view or intelligence level defines all of us, that person is just as bad as her.

She's not intelligent, we realize that, and we ignore her. You should just be upset this made news in the first place.

captcha: nsativM Lord,
Um...Are you trying to tell me something captcha?

Small Waves

Nov 14, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
Well she didn't obey a certain UK custom.

Thou shall not budge in the queue.

It's actually considered extremely rude in the UK. She should of abided by our customs. There's no wonder she got shouted at. It would be the same for anyone including me, and trust me i have been shouted at for it by complete strangers in the past.
Being ACCUSED of queue jumping =/= being guilty, and I'm sure as hell am not going to take the word of a blatant racist into any consideration. Also, I consider calling someone a "disgusting Nigerian" and a "slave" significantly worse than cutting. Even here in the States doing that shit would send a pink slip flying at your face at Godspeed.

The amount of hypocrisy in this thread is astounding. Whenever one American does something stupid you all go "lol typical gun-loving Amerifats", but the one time out of twenty it happens anywhere else, you immediately get upset at us for generalizing and even attack the victim and white-knight the people acting like assholes in the situation. Fucking unbelievable.

Mercsenary

Oct 19, 2008
Why does it sound fabricated?

I mean it really really does.

"Kunta Kinte" - the name of a slave in Alex Haley's book Roots
That's really specific. And why would a racist read a book about a BLACK PERSON. DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT RACISM MEANS? They dont like X race and usually dont have anything to do with X race.

Couldn't one I dont know lodge a complaint somewhere?

Oh but then you wouldn't be in the news. Never mind.

Conclusion: Maybe she was discriminated. Maybe she wasnt. I'm leading toward the latter.

JordanMillward_1

May 19, 2009
LostTimeLady said:
RyanRohypnol said:
scw55 said:
I live in North Wales. The only "racism" here is angry welsh people vocally insulting the English.
I too live in North Wales. Turns out if you go to Chester on like Midnight of Sunday I think, within the city walls, an Englishman may shoot you with a longbow.
The version I heard was that if a welshman was found within the city walls after dark they could be shot with a crossbow. York had a similar law about Scotsmen that also alegidly hasn't been officially repealed.

(I come from Chester so I know that story well. :) Me personlly, I never came across any racism on either side, but then again I was eleven when I moved so, maybe there was I don't know.)
From Chester here too, and that law got repealed a few years ago, just because they were worried someone might try doing it :p

And the law was that Welshmen inside the city walls after dark could be shot with a longbow, I believe.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Oh gee, cry foul on an entire country based one dumbass. Good job. I would like to apologize to all peoples of the UK on behalf of America. I've been to your lands before and
I can say that the vast majority of people there are very warm and accepting and have even embraced outside cultures (especially the food from said cultures). This twit shouldn't have jumped to a conclusion based on one fat jagoff.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Yes America and Britain are the posterchildren of racial inequality while warlords in Africa slaughter and starve rival ethnic groups by the millions >_>

RQshadowe

May 22, 2010
Yeah.
Lets accuse the first country to abolish the slave trade of being racist.

50 people were on a plane and didn't get involved?
Someone who has obviously never been around many brits. Generally as a people if we see a fight break out we ignore the hell out of it until it goes away. Especially when people don't give a damn.

And the whole, English hate the english, welsh hate the english, scots hate the english the english hate the irish and the irish hate the english thing.
At this point it is honestly reverted to little more than typical jokes to be spouted that earn a modicum of laughs depending on the social situation, no more racist than making a good natured black guy's love chicken joke. Having lived in Aberdeen(North East Scotland) Bangor (North West Wales), Shropshire(West England) and Oxford(England) i can honestly say that the only serious racism i have ever observed is anti-islamic. And that was just after the london bombings. Hell, even when the IRA was at its worst in the 90's there wasn't massive antipathy towards the irish.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
RQshadowe said:
Yeah.

50 people were on a plane and didn't get involved?
Someone who has obviously never been around many brits. Generally as a people if we see a fight break out we ignore the hell out of it until it goes away. Especially when people don't give a damn.

And the whole, English hate the english, welsh hate the english, scots hate the english the english hate the irish and the irish hate the english thing.
At this point it is honestly reverted to little more than typical jokes to be spouted that earn a modicum of laughs depending on the social situation, no more racist than making a good natured black guy's love chicken joke. Having lived in Aberdeen(North East Scotland) Bangor (North West Wales), Shropshire(West England) and Oxford(England) i can honestly say that the only serious racism i have ever observed is anti-islamic. And that was just after the london bombings. Hell, even when the IRA was at its worst in the 90's there wasn't massive antipathy towards the irish.
And remember; The English hate the people down the road, the people in the next town, the people two towns over, the next county, the next city, the North or the South. We just gang up on whoever's furthest away really.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
RQshadowe said:
Yeah.
Your argument might be stronger if you left this out considering Britain went on to colonize as many brown countries as they could with the idea it was in their best interest to be ruled by white people. Just sayin'.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
pulse2 said:
One man? Erm, I think there was more then that, double check the articles and news reports, they arrested several who actually did burn a Quran.
Maybe more than one person burned a Quran, but there was only one man preaching about Burn a Quran Day, and that was Terry Jones. You said that "Americans" (plural), were preaching about Burn a Quran Day, but there was only one American doing that, and that was Terry Jones. If it was a unified movement of 1,000 Americans or so it might be something to talk about, but there are fringe groups in every country that do stupid, racist shit, and you shouldn't blame the country for what they do.

And yeah, as I said before, gays are not treated fairly here in the US, but that's not a race thing.

I honestly don't understand the point that you're trying to make with this thread. Maybe I'm just an idiot.

Apr 5, 2008
Idiot woman is being a racist. Painting an entire nation with the same brush because of the actions of one bigotted pr**k is pretty much the dictionary definition. It's sad she had to experience that and yes, unacceptable, but that fool is not representative of the UK as a whole. We're light-years ahead of the US and any other European nation in terms of race acceptance, relations, tolerance, racism, equality and multiculturalism.

So screw you lady, whoever you are.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Rest of world tells Kelis to go back to whereever the hell she's been hiding all these years.

Zyntoxic

May 9, 2011
I can't say much about the political situation of the UK, but here (Sweden) we are pretty much told that UK just like the rest of the western world is currently experience a rise in racist opinion and more "nationalistic" parties and groups are gaining strength all over both Europe and USA, but still sympathizers of racist ideology are still a minority.

but this is all natural, the entire west have in these past years been rather economically unstable, and there is often a link between economic downs and racist ups.

anw, the only negetive thing I've notice but not enought o judge the country as a whole, was last summe when I went to London, I got this feeling that there was a next to extream segregation of London when i came to race.

the closer you got to the center of the city the more white people you'd see, and the further out you got the more people of other races you'd see, like there was this fear of mixing...
but this might have been wrong, I was only there for a few days so, not really enough time to get a truthful picture of the city.

but it was a great place for vegetarians =D

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Comando96 said:
Its like calling the French cheese eating surrender monkeys.
Someone watches top gear. Or it's a common phrase in Europe, I wouldn't know I'm Australian.

OT: Yeah, that guy was an idiot but the irony in slandering an entire country for being racist based on the actions of one guy... That made me chuckle.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Mercsenary said:
Why does it sound fabricated?

I mean it really really does.

"Kunta Kinte" - the name of a slave in Alex Haley's book Roots
That's really specific. And why would a racist read a book about a BLACK PERSON. DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT RACISM MEANS? They dont like X race and usually dont have anything to do with X race.

Couldn't one I dont know lodge a complaint somewhere?

Oh but then you wouldn't be in the news. Never mind.

Conclusion: Maybe she was discriminated. Maybe she wasnt. I'm leading toward the latter.
Indeed... Thats another little hitch I failed to pick up on with the above. That's one highly literate and cultured racist... And the bloke at the checking point knew what it was too? Wow. Maybe this Kelis lady thought she heard that but its very close to the word **** which is used here. Probably got called a **** for jumping in cue and she's not understood. I hear that word (****) isn't used often in America and carries a much higher offence then it does over here (where you'd call your best friend it) so maybe she hasn't heard the word often and got it confused with a reference to a book (that as pointed out, is highly unlikely to be read by a British racist).

Small Waves said:
Being ACCUSED of queue jumping =/= being guilty, and I'm sure as hell am not going to take the word of a blatant racist into any consideration.
Being ACCUSED of racism =/= being a racist, I'm sure as hell not going to take the word of a blatant racist who got arrested for it (Kelis) in the past...

Small Waves said:
Also, I consider calling someone a "disgusting Nigerian" and a "slave" significantly worse than cutting.
Indeed but as said I have doubts on the slave part, Kunta Kunite part too, specially coming from a Brit. Disgusting Nigerian I can buy but that's also a tad specific.

Small Waves said:
The amount of hypocrisy in this thread is astounding. Whenever one American does something stupid you all go "lol typical gun-loving Amerifats", but the one time out of twenty it happens anywhere else, you immediately get upset at us for generalizing and even attack the victim and white-knight the people acting like assholes in the situation. Fucking unbelievable.
So we're supposed to take Kelis side on all this, that Briton is a racist country because of one arsehole supposedly through a racist remark at her... All for the sake of sounding like hypocrits... Riiiight. Also, I imagine if this was the same thing happening over there. Most people would be saying the same thing.

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
RQshadowe said:
Yeah.
Considering England abolished the slave trade due to economics rather than due to the idea that slavery is bad (hence why it didn't also abolish slavery at the same time), was the second-largest of the Atlantic slave traders when it wasn't abolished, and it went on to conquer a number of other countries because of a need to "civilize" them because they weren't capable of doing it themselves, you probably shouldn't ever try and bring this up as an argument in its favor.

Sovvolf said:
Small Waves said:
Also, I consider calling someone a "disgusting Nigerian" and a "slave" significantly worse than cutting.
Indeed but as said I have doubts on the slave part, Kunta Kunite part too, specially coming from a Brit. Disgusting Nigerian I can buy but that's also a tad specific.

Small Waves said:
So we're supposed to take Kelis side on all this, that Briton is a racist country because of one arsehole supposedly through a racist remark at her... All for the sake of sounding like hypocrits... Riiiight. Also, I imagine if this was the same thing happening over there. Most people would be saying the same thing.
I agree about the Kunta Kunite part, but Nigerian doesn't seem too specific. I've heard comments like that more than a few times.

Also I don't think Small Waves' issue is that no one's defending her; it's that when incidents like this happen in the US, people in other countries like to pride themselves on using it as a reason to bash Americans in a generic sense, but when it happens elsewhere, you don't see those "lol, typical of the UK/France/etc" comments. It's alright to generalize Americans as doing stupid things, but how dare someone do it to anyone else--that sort of mentality, in a subconscious sense, maybe, is pretty common, especially in these forums.