Khan May Actually Be In Star Trek 2

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Khan May Actually Be In Star Trek 2

Contrary to early reports, Khan may actually show up in the next Star Trek movie, but you'll be surprised to hear who won't be appearing.

Back in October, it was confirmed (via an anonymous source) that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104740-Report-No-Khan-in-Star-Trek-Sequel>Khan wouldn't appear in the sequel to Star Trek. Well, now it turns out that may not be entirely true, and this time the information is coming directly from a named source.

Speaking to MTV, the movie's co-writer Damon Lindelof talked a little bit about the sequel without giving away too much actual detail. However, he was very firm on one thing: "We know what the movie's about, we know what the key relationships are, what the stakes are, who the bad guy is...or girl...or Borg. No Borg. No Borg. We can rule out Borg."

However, Lindelof also mentioned that Khan isn't entirely out of the running as the next movie's villain:

"To Khan or not to Khan was the jumping off question and we actually put a big list up on the board: pros and Khans, because it's a pun, and sort of weighed it all out and had a big debate and came to a decision, and once we came to that decision we stuck to our guns."

Honestly, that first bit is probably for the best. The Borg were intriguing, scary, villains on The Next Generation when they first appeared, were amazing antagonists in Star Trek: First Contact, and then kind of got overplayed in Voyager. If Khan is included in the new movie, though, it'll be interesting to see how he'd be implemented considering that everything is different from the original universe canon thanks to the reboot provided in the first film.

Source: <a href=http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/675839/damon-lindelof-knows-what-the-key-relationships-are-in-star-trek-2.jhtml>MTV via <a href=http://io9.com/5826402/who-will-be-the-villain-of-the-star-trek-sequel>io9

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Well, wouldn't Khan be in suspended animation onboard the Botany Bay? Using the same basic origin story the original series used would be a good way of introducing the character again. But who to cast? Javier Bardem?

EDIT: Just read a rumor suggesting Nestor Carbonell AKA Batmanuel. OK you may know him better as Richard Alpert from LOST or the Mayor from The Dark Knight.

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
I think I'm the type of person that Trekkies hate. I loved the new Star Trek movie (One of my all time favourite movies, really), and I don't know a damn thing about Star Trek lore, including, who the bloody hell Khan is. Other than the fact that he's apparently pretty wrathful and has a wicked-bad goatee (I think?).
Anyways, it doesn't matter to me who the main bad guy is, I CANNOT wait for this movie.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
I'm eagerly anticipating the film whether Khan is in it or not, however, I don't think anybody will be able to replace Ricardo Montalban...

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Who is Khan and why is he so important?
If only there'd been a Wikipedia link or something included in the article...

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Who is Khan and why is he so important?
Khan? genetically engineered evil super-genius and buff dude. Once upon a time he was an evil dictator a la Hitler, but he takes off into outer space when his empire is overrun. Kirk & friends find his drifting spaceship and wake him up out of suspended animation, whereupon Khan becomes a 100% Grade-A pain in the ass.

EDIT: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Khan_Noonien_Singh

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Sounds cool I wouldn't mind seeing how they portray Khan.

However, I still haven't seen the reboot yet...

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I have a question. When are they seriously, for the first time ever, going to officially. I say OFFICIALLY, announce that there will indeed be a sequel coming out soon? I mean when, if ever, is it coming out?

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
This will be Star Trek 12 thank you very much, and the Simpsons already subtitled it "So Very Tired."

In all seriousness I don't really know if it's a good idea or not. They may pull it off well, but it might just feel like trying to piggy-back off the highest regarded film in the franchise.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Meh at TOS, Meh at new actors rebooting ToS and a resounding Meh at rehashing retreaded villains from ToS

I love Star Trek, but I absolutely hate ToS, and anything to do with it. So it pains me to know that there are at the very least still 2 more films that are going to continue to perpetuate this line of narrative.

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
*grrrrr* KHAAAAAAN! KHAAAAAAAAAAAN!!

Heh, I'd see the movie if that line was in it.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
The way the latest movie ended says to me there will be no Kahn in the new timeline. Buried deep in each ship's computer there will be a message to every captain to be delivered anytime someone utters the words "Botany Bay." It will be from Ambassador Spock and it will contain orders to torp any ship bearing its name. "Kill me will ya..."

JackJL

Jun 18, 2011
Remember the tagline from the first reboot movie "This is not your father's Star Trek". However that film was packed with in-jokes and references, they just forgot to make it a good movie.

There are no depths these hacks will not sink to, so I suspect Khan will be in there and be an emo *****.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
In ST 90210, the whole plot was black holes being used as wormholes, or some such. I tend to repress and block out severe Physics Fails. I can't remember "The Core" at all.

I can only imagine what Khan's schtick will be in ST 90210: The New Class...

He has a weapon that can blow up suns but leaves the planets within the system intact, completely habitable, and all still with sunlight.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
WaReloaded said:
I'm eagerly anticipating the film whether Khan is in it or not, however, I don't think anybody will be able to replace Ricardo Montalban...
I agree. Whoever they cast as Khan has big shoes to fill and will have to work hard to make the role their own.

thetruefallen

Mar 12, 2008
I never had time to get into the old Star Trek. It seems like the kind of thing that un-makes lives like WoW (joking) and if i started to watch the old stuff i probably wouldn't be able to stop until i had marathoned the entire thing. I like the new movies, i will enjoy what ever story they decided to go with unless it fails as hard as the Transformer films did in story and direction.