Kick it Like It's 1995 With These New Transparent 2DSs

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Kick it Like It's 1995 With These New Transparent 2DSs

The transparent blue and transparent red 2DS variants launch on November 7.

Everyone knows that back when the original Gameboy launched, only the coolest of the cool kids had the special "transparent plastic" variant released in 1995. Now, Nintendo is once again kicking it like it's the mid-90s, announcing two special transparent plastic variants of its recently released 2DS console. "Wicked-sick!" as they would have said back then.

The transparent blue and transparent red 2DS variants will launch on November 7, and as it was Tweeted from Nintendo UK's [https://twitter.com/nintendouk/status/514323510773420032] official Twitter account, we can assume that they will be exclusive to Europe, at least for the time being. We've asked Nintendo of America if they will be released stateside, but have yet to get a response.

While it's certainly a cool-looking variant, it seems a shame that its only on the 2DS model, which, to be honest, looks pretty damn ugly. It also seems like a waste with the "New 3DS" right around the corner [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137129-New-3DS-with-Xenoblade-Chronicles-Coming-2015].

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/nintendouk/status/514323510773420032]

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
A waste is right.
The New3DS is gonna happen, why should I care about these?

If they are trying to sell the old products by changing skins then that's a good strategy, but I'm not falling for it.

I'll admit they are a neat throwback though. I loved my transparent GameBoy when I was younger.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I like the variant since I own a transparent Gameboy Color but still not worth getting a 2DS over. I like my clam-shell too much.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Nope, sorry Nintendo. Your attempts to bait me with nostalgia have failed... this time.

I still have my transparent Game Boy Color and it still rocks my socks.

I will admit, it's a cool 90s nostalgia trip though.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I LOVE(D), yes...I still has it...my purple transparent GBC.
Then again, I still have my damn 'pocket' GB and my 'brick' GB.
XD

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
Make it a transparent 3ds and I will jump on that with gusto. still got a few old transparent GBA's and gameboys =) but if its just 2ds.....sorry nintendo, not today XP

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
I'm not one to throw away an expensive product I just bought recently just because a slightly newer version comes out, but if I did not have my 3DS and this was made for the 3DS I would throw my money at it so quickly.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
hmm, kind of wishing they had waited and done it with what would most assuredly be the new2ds to go with the new3ds.

It's almost like someone came up with all these variants and started them in production while some other department came up with the new3ds; I bet that made for an awkward interoffice meeting.

Talk about the left hand not knowing what the right is doing.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
Bah, damnit Nintendo. Why did you have to go and waste this idea on the 2DS? Why not save this for the New 3DS? I would pay gladly pay $200 for a New 3DS version of this. Heck I'd probably pay more, within reason of course.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Wait, really? Nintendo, why not do this for the new 2DS, which I assume you're in the process of making? Why are you trying to make competition for your New line, which is more or less a compulsory hardware update? That's weird, Nintendo.

Jiggle Counter

Sep 18, 2014
Slegiar Dryke said:
Make it a transparent 3ds and I will jump on that with gusto. still got a few old transparent GBA's and gameboys =) but if its just 2ds.....sorry nintendo, not today XP
http://noodleboss.com/nintendo-3ds-xl-transparent-design-looks-like-classic-gameboy/

It's not commercially sold, but it shows what a 3DS version would look like.

Regardless, this 2DS transparent version looks kinda cool. It might be worth buying for collectors. I bought the gameboy micro simply for collective purposes.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Uh, Ninty, this might have been a good selling point back when you chucked the 2DS at us a year ago or some time between then and before announcing an updated 3DS. Now, the little kids got their parents to buy them the thing one and only one time, and cash strapped adults bought whichever 3DS they wanted and are saving up for if they are forced to buy the "New" 3DS to play the new games they want.

I never got the clear case craze, anyway. Unless there are cool moving parts, interior lights, water cooling or at least a disc drive to make it a good tradeoff, the transparent cases just look too ugly, with the mold lines, support struts and screws. I can look at the pile of old circuit boards waiting to be cannibalized about 15 ft away from me, if I want to stare at electronic guts.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Oh man The ratio of want vs need could created a gap that would leave the grand canyon feeling tiny. Well on the up side when I destroy my current 3DS from too much Smash Bros. I can find one of these as a replacement.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
T-Shirt Turtle said:
Bah, damnit Nintendo. Why did you have to go and waste this idea on the 2DS? Why not save this for the New 3DS? I would pay gladly pay $200 for a New 3DS version of this. Heck I'd probably pay more, within reason of course.
There probably isn't going to be a "new" 2ds. the 2DS is an entry model for kids, it's supposed to be basic and inexpensive.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I want one to go with my blue see through N64, so help me I do.

I like the 2ds asa piece of design as well, it's a nicer shape for my giant claw hands and I never liked the paper cut out like 3-D anyway.

However, a new 3DS mean a new 2DS must be coming soon as well, so maybe I'll wait a bit longer to play Starfox 64 on the go.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Why put these out now right after announcing that "new" 3ds thing?
Wouldn't a "new" 2ds make more sense?