Kicking The Habit

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
Doom-Slayer said:
Salad Is Murder said:
My friend has a doctorate in ancient religion, do you want to go to him for medical advice? I can give you his email.
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Claiming that medical doctors can't call themself doctors because they don't have a doctorate is beyond silly, especially when the primary definition for "doctor" is "a person who is qualified to treat people who are ill" (Oxford dictionary). I go to my GP all the time. He's called Dr. (name), but doesn't hold a doctorate. How does that work?
The term doctor describing a person that practices medicine, and the title doctor are two different things. This has been said many many many times. This is not a difficult concept.

From the freaking Oxford Dictionary.

doctor

Pronunciation: /ˈdɒktə/
noun

1 person who is qualified to treat people who are ill: [as title]: Doctor Thornhill

2 (Doctor) a person who holds the highest university degree:
THIS IS NOT DIFFICULT. Popular/Common usage is irrelevant. That is what the word means. Deal.

ANYWAY. Its actually a very interesting article because even without knowing that Dr.Mark played WoW(up until he says it) you can get the impression that he has been through that exact situation. A good read all around, I might need to send in my own question at some point.
Ugh, the dictionary quote...truly the last gasp of a failing argument. I came here to respond to a post of mine that you quoted, only to find that you've changed the content of your message, but that's neither here nor there anymore.

You are treading dangerous semantic territory here, the difference in the definitions (that you listed) are very context dependent. I would say their usage in this case is very relevant, as I was attempting to state through heavy-handed and completely passed-over sarcasm and humor (would you see a doctorate in english about a toothache kinda stuff here), when I really just came here to make that Dr. Mario joke and defend my profession.

Captcha: never give up

You got it, robot that detects other robots, I won't.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Salad Is Murder said:
You have been arguing about the meaning on the word and its usage, so I gave you its defined meaning. That quote is its defined meaning and multiple other organizations have that same meaning. It doesn't matter if it isnt "common" usage or if people might get confused when you use it that way, its what it means.

You haven't made a single logical argument this entire time, so heres a simple framework for you which is used in arguments and thought experiments.

1.One meaning of doctor is the use of it as title by people with doctorate(as per the words definition)
2.Mark Kline has a doctorate.
3.By 1 and 2 Mark Kline can call himself a doctor.

Which part of this dont you understand and/or disagree with?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I was hopelessly addicted to WoW. One night I skipped raiding to go out to a bar with friends.

I never logged in again.

My gaming addiction was not beat-- it was grown out of.

mkline

May 12, 2010
Thanks to all who have commented on the article. People who write to me have serious questions about gaming-related issues, and I know they benefit as much from the contributions of fellow readers as they do from my thoughts.

As to my credentials, I am a psychologist with a doctorate in clinical psychology. I'm also a licensed health service provider in practice for 22 years. While anyone with a doctorate can technically can themselves "doctor," and some who are not health service providers choose to do so (I have known academics who prefer to be called "doctor" rather than "professor"), it is common practice to refer to a psychologist as doctor because we are both academically doctoral and health service providers.

It is no big news that some people are skeptical of psychology as a profession and believe we aren't real doctors and/or have nothing to offer. I don't encounter this attitude much in my work, as these folks are unlikely to seek my counsel.

As stated by others above, my intent in writing this column is to share knowledge of gaming issues gleaned from years of professional practice as well as from my own experiences as a gamer.

I have greatly enjoyed hearing from many thoughtful members of The Escapist community, and I'm pleased to know that some of you have found the columns interesting and helpful. Keep your great questions coming!

Mark Kline

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
See that's what I was saying the whole time. Even the other doctor agrees that not all doctors are dr. doctors.

Maybe it's just too complicated, the only one's who understood what was going on was a Dr. and a Doctor.