Kickstarted to Death

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Yeah, that's the trouble with not having things like detailed designed documents, well-spaced, thought-out goals and just general good thorough planning.

1. Proper
2. Planning and
3. Preparation
4. Prevents
5. Piss
6. Poor
7. Performance.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Mmm, rabbi bacon. Erin's face in the first panel tells me she knew ahead of time that the project was going to go tits-up. What an evil *****.

Barbas said:
Yeah, that's the trouble with not having things like detailed designed documents, well-spaced, thought-out goals and just general good thorough planning.

1. Proper
2. Planning and
3. Preparation
4. Prevents
5. Piss
6. Poor
7. Performance.
Sufferin' succotash, possibly a p-p-perfect pmnemonic!

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
This pretty much highlights my biggest issue with kickstarter in general. Say what you will about project managers from a publisher, but they are something of a necessity. When a creator is only beholden to their fans, deadlines are missed, projects go over budget... and it has happened time and time again.

A lot of these teams getting money do not seem to be lead by a person who knows what they are doing, and they really need that.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Barbas said:

1. Proper
2. Planning and
3. Preparation
4. Prevents
5. Piss
6. Poor
7. Performance.
Oh I like that one, I'm going to appropriate it for personal usage (Fair Use!!!) XD

OT: Well this is timely, and interesting material. Also now I want unicorn burgers... I don't care if it isn't a thing that exists. I demand unicorn burgers be a thing and I won't have it any other way, Burger King said I could have it my way.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I like the comic but it really fails to properly place the blame on the company swearing they can make a burger worth $1,000 if you give them that instead of the $5 they set as their original goal. Extreme stretch goals are the culprit.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Teoes said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Thanks, tovarishchi, but I stole it from the army who, it has to be said, are much funnier than me.

OT: At least we have Pillars Of Eternity. It is nice when a plan comes together; it tends to bring us all closer as a result. I hope Star Citizen managed to pull of what is increasingly sounding like a miracle, because I don't look forward to years of bitter recriminations, legal action and resentment.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Reminds me of that guy who made a potato salad and crowdfunded it, and then he got so much money he decided to throw a huge party. Imagine if he'd only made a potato salad with it and kept the money. Imagine the outcry at him doing exactly what he said he'd do.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
The burger needs wings and be able to float in space, you know, to better convey what "bloat" project is of mention here. Oh yes, I know that Star Citizen is a complete flake of a game by doing this and that on top of that and this. They've extended their game's projected release by years thanks to just throwing more money to make "a better game". Derick Smart my be a complete tool with the way he approaches things, but he does have some valid points on the way Star Citizen is being handled as a consumer product.

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
This is brilliant, exactly how I feel about how Kickstarter is being used currently. If something has a cult following or is backed by some internet celebrity people will overfund it to hell and back for absolutely no good reason, while at the same time thousands of projects don't even meet the most modest goals.

Crowdfunding has become a mirror of how investor funding worked. Entirely too much money thrown at things that are expected to do well anyways, while no money at all is "risked" to fund innovative ideas that might fail.

Kickstarter: "Ohhh look, the Oatmeal guy is doing the illustrations for a card game, so clearly this game needs 6000 times more money than it asked for, while no other card game can even raise it's basic goal! Fuck anyone who doesn't have illustrations by someone I've heard of before!"

Maybe a celebrity should start a Kickstarter to raise money to spend on kickstarters that actually deserve it.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Don't worry guys, I have no doubt that you'll never be in danger of having too much kickstarter money to know what to do with!

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
MarsAtlas said:
Yeah, I've always figured that this was kind of obvious. You fly too close to the sun and you crash. Its why I never spent money on any kickstarters that were being severely overfunded, Star Citizen being the most blatant example. If I pay a few bucks more for it at release if its any good than so be it, but I don't wait another year or two for the game I purchased a copy of to become available only to end up disappointing me.
I've found that the secret to not being disappointed by crowd funding is to not give a shit. I've now backed... around 10? projects so far, and almost all of those are still in development. But what I don't do is follow every last dev log or whatever that the project puts out, because game development takes a while, and I would get real impatient real fast. Instead I just check in every 4 or 5 months to see how things are going, and eventually, something will come of it. Or not.

The thing is, I really don't care too much about the result for most of these, because I'm usually not funding that specific project so much as an idea. In Star Citizen's case, I funded because at the time there was a dearth of space sims, and I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to help show the industry that the genre was still one with a demand. And that happened. Since the overwhelming success of the SC crowd funding campaign, we've gotten more space games available and many more in the pipeline. At this point, even if Star Citizen were to fail completely, I'd still feel justified in the money I spent(though to be fair, I didn't spend much; some of the more insane contributors might feel otherwise). Hell, I already feel I got my money's worth just in the sheer entertainment factor of getting to see Derek Smart go on another ridiculous rant. I didn't realize how much I missed his trolling.

There're only 3 projects I funded that I actually care about the end project for, all of which I feel fairly confident in. The rest are either like the Star Citizen situation where I was really funding my vote in a neglected genre, or a project that I thought looked kind of neat and was willing to plunk down $10 on. Hell, I've spent more money on games that have sit untouched on my Steam backlog.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
No kidding. It's why I'm worried about Star Citizen and Might No. 9 not being all they were cracked up to be, but at the same time I'm feeling pretty confident about The Mandate and XO.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
erttheking said:
No kidding. It's why I'm worried about Star Citizen and Might No. 9 not being all they were cracked up to be, but at the same time I'm feeling pretty confident about The Mandate and XO.
lol... XO was an impulse backing for me. I know almost nothing about the project other than someone on another site recommended it, and I thought it looked kind of neat. I look forward to seeing what the hell I actually put money toward.