Kickstarted to Death

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Just that its the kickstarter projects themselves ho promise more crap for more money.

No one actually goes to them as Erin did and says "i will give you lots of money for lots of features"

Furthermore good kickstarters have their overall goals and stretchlines laid out from the very getgo and when the last stretchgoal is reached thats it.. no more features.

A bad project will simply add features and features even thought theres only so much money can do. Ofcourse people are gonna eat that shit up when they are starved for a certain game.

However the "overfunded" category only seems to have ONE participant right now. All other projects that failed did infact not fail due to overbudgeting but because of personal drama most of the time.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
I wish it was like this, most of the time to me it seems like the other way around, they promise everything and don't know how to budget or how much taxes they have to pay so they end up with not enough money and just fail outright or seriously under-deliver.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Oooh.
That is a tasty burger.

I wonder if she unlocked the stretch goal of a white rhino milk thickshake in a panda skin cup?

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
Is this supposed to be a joke about people giving absurd amounts of money in kickstarter?
Or about people demanding their absurd demands be fulfilled NOW?

Or is this a comedy rorschach test where everyone sees the joke they want to see?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Deathfish15 said:
The burger needs wings and be able to float in space, you know, to better convey what "bloat" project is of mention here.
I see your space burger and raise you this.

Where's my Space Helicopter? Chop Chop people.

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
I have some complex feelings about Kickstarter. I tend to back pen and paper RPGs and some like Feng Shui 2 and Nightwitches are fantastic and have brought me absolute joy while others like Second Skins from Monsterhearts https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1571708637/monsterhearts-second-skins and Urban Shadows (a WoD hack of the Move System), have been a disappointment. Though both of these projects were completed, they failed to either meet their stretch goals or incorporate player feedback during the game's development phase. The Second Skins particularly are an interesting misfire because the creator was able to make an initial product which I enjoyed greatly, but most of the extra money went to the designers extremely high (and unexpected) medical bills and none of it to the stretch goals (he was going to hire a bunch of folks to do extra work with that money). I suppose the attitude you can take is that a Kickstarter is more of a patronage than an investment. You are supporting an artist so they can create their art and rather than Patreon which gives a money in increments. Therefore, you are tossing a bunch of money their way so they can work on one specific project.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The issue of planning is by no means unique or to Kickstarter; mismanagement of projects and design expectations is as old as ambition itself. The only thing Kickstarter does differently here is highlight just how unrealistic audiences expectations can get. They only deal with the finished product, not the long, difficult process of creating something as complex as an ambitious video game.

ravenlordhun

Jun 27, 2012
I think civility is the key, for both sides.

I've started kickstarting when Larian did Original Sin. It was a really impressive story; they really delivered on almost every goal, and the fans weren't in riot over the missing feature (such as day and night cycle).

I find the prevalent attitude of "kinda like online shopping" towards KS really confusing. Development is risky, so the end result is never guaranteed. If you can't accept that, then don't back - buy the finished product instead... IF it ever gets done, that is.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Jake Martinez said:
Don't worry guys, I have no doubt that you'll never be in danger of having too much kickstarter money to know what to do with!
Damn dude! Roshi, take it away for me will ya? I need to go lay down.