Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Kahunaburger said:
Schadrach said:
Technically, yes.
Yep. And since this is a legal question, that's all that matters.
...and Terry stops are in no way racist, because the law itself says nothing about race. =)

What the law says, how the law is actually enforced, and the narratives used to construct cases are often very different things.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Schadrach said:
Kahunaburger said:
Schadrach said:
Technically, yes.
...and Terry stops are in no way racist, because the law itself says nothing about race.
"Are Terry stops racist?" is not a legal question. "Can a person impaired by alcohol consent?" is. This is not hard.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Hollyday said:
What I find 'disgusting' is how this thread was initially about the awful comments sent to a woman who made a youtube video. Comments which included threats of rape. Flash forward 1000 posts and people are denying that rape culture exists and saying that rape is often exaggerated/over-prosecuted/made up. I find it really hard to see how it got to here - where was the tipping point? I might go back and see which post started on this topic because I really can't see how we went from 'threatening someone with rape is vile' to 'women often lie about being raped and are wasting police time and money that should be spent on real crimes'.
The short answer is controversy -- no one is going to argue against 'threatening someone with rape is vile', but they will argue with 'swarm of internet trolls is representative of the gaming community' or 'women are incapable of deceit, therefore an accusation by a woman is the same as guilt' or 'sexist and discriminatory views only effect women or are only important when they effect women'.

I can certainly hold the positions 'threatening someone with rape is vile' and 'an accusation in and of itself does not demonstrate guilt beyond a reasonable doubt; *people* are known to engage in deceit in some cases, therefore not all rape accusations are true' at the same time without a hint of cognitive dissonance.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Kahunaburger said:
Schadrach said:
Kahunaburger said:
Schadrach said:
Technically, yes.
...and Terry stops are in no way racist, because the law itself says nothing about race.
"Are Terry stops racist?" is not a legal question. "Can a person impaired by alcohol consent?" is. This is not hard.
I notice you cut off the other sentence, you know, the one with the point I was trying to make, rather than the example I used?

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Schadrach said:
Kahunaburger said:
Schadrach said:
Kahunaburger said:
Schadrach said:
Technically, yes.
I notice you cut off the other sentence, you know, the one with the point I was trying to make, rather than the example I used?
Yeah, because the "point you were trying to make" was irrelevant to the "question" of whether people impaired by alcohol can consent.

Hollyday

Mar 5, 2012
Schadrach said:
The short answer is controversy -- no one is going to argue against 'threatening someone with rape is vile', but they will argue with 'swarm of internet trolls is representative of the gaming community' or 'women are incapable of deceit, therefore an accusation by a woman is the same as guilt' or 'sexist and discriminatory views only effect women or are only important when they effect women'.

I can certainly hold the positions 'threatening someone with rape is vile' and 'an accusation in and of itself does not demonstrate guilt beyond a reasonable doubt; *people* are known to engage in deceit in some cases, therefore not all rape accusations are true' at the same time without a hint of cognitive dissonance.
And so you should. Those two points of view are ones I hold myself (and are therefore obviously correct *smug smug feminist smug*). And I won't deny that a small amount of women lie about being raped. That kind of miscarriage of justice, where a person is sent to prison on a charge of rape when they didn't do it, is horrific. However, reading the above posts really made me angry. I was going to quote some stuff from them but now I'm not, since I've just read them again and decided that my problem with them is on a purely personal level. There's just something so vehement about the way it's being spoken about and it scares me a bit. Rape, more than any other crime, relies so heavily on believing one or the other party. To have a closed mind on the issue - either believing strongly that women (or men)often lie about being raped or believing strongly that women (or men) never lie about being raped is really dangerous. Innocent until proven guilty is a no-brainer, but so is supporting victims and not making them feel like liars just because of the nature of the crime they may have been subject to.

Again, I'm not sure where this thread jumped from discussing the threats against a feminist pop-culture critic, and a general discussion about the portrayal of women in the media, to miscarriages of justice against men in rape cases. I'm not saying that it's not a topic worth talking about and I take on board the 'controversial' comment but I just don't see the thought process, I really don't. I'd love to be able to say that a discussion about females in video games leading to a discussion about women lying about rape charges is a total fluke but I have a nasty feeling it's not. And that's really really scary.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
lmao so much money for a YouTube video. Haha what the fuck, anybody could do it for free.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Trekkie said:
exactly. also if a woman falsely accuses a man, then that police time and resources has been wasted that could have been used to stop an actual crime.
So women shouldn't report rape?
All women should be blamed for the few that falsely report rape?
All rape isn't really rape but women feeling bad the next morning?
Rape shouldn't be investigated because the women may be making a false accusation?

Mate, your attitude is more than a little disgusting. If a person is raped and the report it to police they deserve, nay, absolutely must have their claims taken seriously.

If you want to have a go at someone have a go at the predatory nature of US prosecutors who instead of simply presenting the facts have an almost psychopathic drive to win at all costs.

It's not just rape defendants who get the hard end in the US justice system. Prosecutors often go for the highest possible charge regardless of whether it may fit the crime. Usually it is to cow the defendant into taking a plea bargain because nobody is sure that they can "win" a jury trial. But sometimes I have to wonder at the ethical landscape that prosecutors live in.

Possession gets turned into trafficking, lending a car to a mate gets turned into a murder charge, completely innocent accidents turn into manslaughter charges, miscarraiges get turned into murders.

It's fucked.

BUT IT IS NOT OKAY TO BLAME WOMEN FOR RAPE.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
ACman said:
Trekkie said:
exactly. also if a woman falsely accuses a man, then that police time and resources has been wasted that could have been used to stop an actual crime.
So women shouldn't report rape?
All women should be blamed for the few that falsely report rape?
All rape isn't really rape but women feeling bad the next morning?
Rape shouldn't be investigated because the women may be making a false accusation?

Mate, your attitude is more than a little disgusting. If a person is raped and the report it to police they deserve, nay, absolutely must have their claims taken seriously.

If you want to have a go at someone have a go at the predatory nature of US prosecutors who instead of simply presenting the facts have an almost psychopathic drive to win at all costs.

It's not just rape defendants who get the hard end in the US justice system. Prosecutors often go for the highest possible charge regardless of whether it may fit the crime. Usually it is to cow the defendant into taking a plea bargain because nobody is sure that they can "win" a jury trial. But sometimes I have to wonder at the ethical landscape that prosecutors live in.

Possession gets turned into trafficking, lending a car to a mate gets turned into a murder charge, completely innocent accidents turn into manslaughter charges, miscarraiges get turned into murders.

It's fucked.

BUT IT IS NOT OKAY TO BLAME WOMEN FOR RAPE.
what does this have to do with asking for a thousand bucks to make a fucking youtube video

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Grahav said:
Chemical Alia said:
Grahav said:
Chemical Alia said:
I don't follow the point you're trying to make, based on what I said.
The point is that it seemed to me that you think that what the "misogynistic" game producers thoughts about the issue are either irrelevant or non-existent. If you don't know why they make such games, how do you want to convince them to stop making them or making "gender positive" games?

More, it weakens your position if the target of your discourse discovers that you consider them as just non-thinking idiots.
Whoa, where the hell did all this come from? "Non-thinking idiots" and misogynists? These people are talented and amazing, and I talk with them all the time. That doesn't mean they don't sometimes fall into habits and forget to think outside of the box when it comes to variety in characters. It's a pretty narrow demographic among game developers, and it's easy to fall back to the default of what they personally think is "sweet" or "sexy", but it's not some evil conspiracy or even always done on purpose.
Well, it seems I misinterpreted your phrase. So you are saying that the portrayals used among developers are something born more out of habit?

Chemical Alia said:
Grahav said:
snowplow said:
I've seen numerous complaints about bad female characters, but ZERO tips on making good ones.
Excellent point. It is easy to be destructive, but difficult to be creative.

An effort shold be made in this direction.

I explored this idea when I was still in school with a project I did. I looked at the design process for the TF2 cast and applied the same kind of decision making to model a couple playable female versions. I made the models downloadable to the general public, and the response I got on them has been overwhelmingly positive (even with my crappy first two ones, when I was still new to modeling.) I just finished up with the fourth one, and from the feedback I've gotten from the community, there's definitely an interest in having variety along with having straight up fan-service.

But making good female characters shouldn't be any different than making good characters of any kind. They deserve the same exploration, research and variety as any other thought-out character. Relying too hard tropes and derivative material makes for boring characters, male or female, and I think that's an area of game development that needs more creativity and broader backgrounds.
That's progressive. Keep up the good work.

One thing I noticed about design in fighting games. There is almost always a freak or ugly character, but they are always male. I remember one arcade fighting game with a (very) old woman and nobody used her. People said that they were bad with her, although the AI was hellish with her. I don't know if this is relevant.

About the project. I hope she discuss the tropes reasons of use instead of just rambling about the damages. Going to the roots of the problem are the most pratical to solve it, and, hey, it can delve into the society's psyche which is always interesting.
Yeah, that's what I meant. People get complacent sometimes, especially when deadlines and shit are involved. Plus, sometimes the more eyes you have on something, the more watered down it ends up getting in the end. Too many cooks spoiling the broth, so to speak v:

SkellgrimOrDave

Nov 18, 2009
Eating cheese on toast and reading this thread is incredibly interesting. Just thought I should let you guys know.

Point 1: Rape is very very bad.
Point 2: False accusal of rape is bad, even if a conviction isn't sent through, a social stigma, and a very powerful one at that, is forever over the man's head.
Point 3: Rapists lie about not being rapists.
Point 4: Women can (and indeed do) lie to discredit others. Case brought to mind is where after a messy divorce, a woman complained her ex-husband had threatened her with a shotgun. He'd sold all his guns 6 weeks before the date she mentioned and had reciepts and the gun shops sold to to prove it. Summed up, an accusation is not always true.
Point 5: Just because the above is true, does not mean rape accusations are false.
Point 6: I've learnt some very interesting things through this thread.
Point 7: Femenism is the belief that women should have equal rights to men.
Point 8: Thus follows that they should also have equal responsibilites to men. No first dibs on lifeboats by virtue of gender, etc.
Point 9: Can people please make more constructive and responsive comments and concede when someone you don't agree with makes a point well? Common couertesy and maturity is a good thing.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
TheKasp said:
Balobo said:
what does this have to do with asking for a thousand bucks to make a fucking youtube video
Videos of a certain quality need money. It costs (surprise, heh?) and most people pay with ad revenue. She does not create ad revenue and funds her videos with donations or funding by other sources (when asked to creat videos by other websites).
I see plenty of people make quality videos for free. What makes hers different?

Is it because she's fighting for the rights of women everywhere by researching (Googling) about female characters in vidya and making a video about it? (lol)

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
SkellgrimOrDave said:
Eating cheese on toast and reading this thread is incredibly interesting. Just thought I should let you guys know.

Point 1: Rape is very very bad.
Point 2: False accusal of rape is bad, even if a conviction isn't sent through, a social stigma, and a very powerful one at that, is forever over the man's head.
Point 3: Rapists lie about not being rapists.
Point 4: Women can (and indeed do) lie to discredit others. Case brought to mind is where after a messy divorce, a woman complained her ex-husband had threatened her with a shotgun. He'd sold all his guns 6 weeks before the date she mentioned and had receipts and the gun shops sold to to prove it. Summed up, an accusation is not always true.
Point 5: Just because the above is true, does not mean rape accusations are false.
Point 6: I've learned some very interesting things through this thread.
Point 7: Feminism is the belief that women should have equal rights to men.
Point 8: Thus follows that they should also have equal responsibilities to men. No first dibs on lifeboats by virtue of gender, etc.
Point 9: Can people please make more constructive and responsive comments and concede when someone you don't agree with makes a point well? Common courtesy and maturity is a good thing.
I think this is the only post in this thread that I have agreed with completely without, you know, writing it myself. Aside from the spellcheck I just ran it through.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hollyday said:
Therumancer said:
You put your argument really persuasively but I really couldn't disagree with you more. I don't see how anyone can say that the portrayal of women across the media is balanced.

There are too many possible examples to look at this through, but one which illustrates the point well is this:

http://www.empireonline.com/100-greatest-movie-characters/default.asp?c=100

There is one female character in the top 20 (Ripley at number 9).

Don't you think that's, well, really really odd? Surely there should be a pretty 50/50 split? Even if it was mostly men voting (which I believe it was) it's still possible to identify with female characters. Why such the vast difference?

I think it's because there just aren't as many memorable roles written for women in films. Female characters are often portrayed as tired cliches in even the most worthy, interesting, fun films. I voted in this poll - you had to submit your 5 favourite characters - and all my choices were men. I'm finding it really hard even now to think of any female characters who might deserve a place on this list. Is that because women aren't as interesting as men? aren't as heroic? aren't as easy to identify with? of course not. It's because these great, iconic roles just aren't written for women. A woman in the vast majority of films is there to be eye-candy, to provide momentum for the plot (like her being kidnapped/attacked/killed), to be a love-interest or just be there as a token nod to prove that they are aware that women exist.

This isn't the situation because we want it to be - how could anyone think that it's normal to ignore/marginalise 50% of the earth's population in this way? - it's the way it is because this is the way it's always been and no one is trying to change it. Your comment that everything is fine as it is and by making writers include more women we would somehow take away from the experience is absurd: how can we possibly know that until we try? As a woman I know that I want this to change - however, I know that many other men and women don't see a problem at all. That's fine. There will always be these types of films for you to enjoy. But surely equal representation is not just entitled whining, it's what needs to happen?

On a quicker note, your point about male stereotypes, with muscles and steroids etc. is valid up until a point but there is a big difference between a sexualised character and a power fantasy. Early posts on this thread explain that much better than I could though.

Actually the big muscles are a sexual fantasy along with a power one. That's considered to be attractive, women go gaga for "hunks", there is a reason why groups like the Chippendales are mostly bodybuilder types. A big part of the fantasy of having the huge muscles is getting the girls with them.

It's sort of like breasts, not every guy finds large breasts attractive, but enough do where it's a safe bet that if you have big ones your odds of finding someone you find attractive who wants you go up substantially.

Those guys who pump iron at the beach don't do it to show off their power. The whole thing is "hey ladeez look at thuse massive arm boulders and this six pack... watch me flex, oh yeah...". It's like the male version of swimsuit behavior. :p

-

Your arguement about movie characters is inherantly loaded. You can take any list point to who isn't there and claim it's in some way biased, especially if one group dominated. It's like saying that a lack of white players on certain recent sports lists of best players is actually proof of some racist conspiricy to keep the white man down. I'm sure you could take a look at a "100 best characters list" which is pretty much an opinion piece, and probably find 20 or 30 groups you could claim it's bigoted against. In reality the most you can claim is that your taste in what makes a good character is differant from Empire's or those that care enough to have answered the polls.

That said, being an "all time" list also loads it, because while sexism is currently not an issue, and most definatly not within video games, in past decades it was an issue. Back when feminism actually stood for something valid in like the 1960s and 1970s the various "Bond Girls" were a big deal due to the way they were breaking stereotypes by not being demure and covered all the time. Women showing sexuality there and in control of it, and in things like Playboy was actually empowering. Things, and the flow of them changed, but if you figure it's only been a non issue for the last few decades it's less surprising. If you were to say limit the list to say "best 100 movie characters from the last 30 years" going back to say 1982 which is around where this battle had been more or less won and started to become more political than anything, your more likely to see more stand outs. Likewise when it comes to opinion pieces it depends on who you ask or is compiling the data.

Besides which, none of this has to do with anything, the discussion is about some Vlogger claiming that the tropes/characters in video games are sexist and offensive and campaigning to get people to fund a bigger platform for her, so she can spread the message of how wrong and male dominated it all is.

The kind of thing she's getting on is say asking the question of why a character like Bloodrayne runs around killing people in a leather catsuit. The answer is "because it's more fun that way" and that's not just from a male dominated perspective either. When women write their killer vampire characters they tend to also do a lot of their violence in exotic and sexy costumes, oftentimes irregardless of the period. There is nothing inherantly wrong, exploitive, or one sided about the character. Indeed Bloodrayne (which was a mixed success, it did get a sequel and a few B movie tie ins) was probably green lit because it's such a universally appealing image, and one which hadn't at that time been exploited much.

Take a bunch of popular characters from mainstream fantasy novels aimed mostly at women (many of which have gone successfully cross gender in their artwork) and think about how they would look if rendered as video game characters. On average, they would wind up being exactly like what we see now, in part because it's those kinds of characters that inspire the ones in video games and such. The gaming industry doesn't do it because they are "ignoring 50% of the potential audience" but because this is what women as a whole and want and create/read about on their own, and it also happens to have universal appeal.

If someone decided to make an Anita Blake video game, or one based off of Kim Harrison's "Hollows" series (which I read) ladies like this Vlogger would be screaming a proper representation of the characters would be "exploitive male fantasy", which is lulzworthy because of both the author, and the target audience they were created for.