Kids Shows Suck Today

GrizzlyCow

Apr 3, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
So I'm a troll now, huh? I thought this thread was rather civil in comparison to others I've seen. Anyway, I feel this post is more flame bait than anything else that has been stated in this thread. But I don't like being called a troll, and I don't like being called an idiot.

Of course things are going to be subjective! There has never once been a time when everyone agrees unanimously, that is why there is discussion in the first place. I feel concerned that children's shows have lost meaning nowadays. Yes, I am biased towards older shows that I grew up with, but I can not go into a new kids show and find any redeeming features that were present when I grew up.
Hmmm, I wasn't being too bright when I posted, but I'll defend myself regardless.

I never said you were a troll; I said you were probably a troll. That's a big difference there. I honestly couldn't understand why a person would name a thread "Kids Shows Suck Today" when trying to discuss it rather than "Does Kids Shows suck today?". The former implies you do not want to discuss the matter but rather want to invoke people's emotions. Y'see, the word "suck" is a load word, a word used to invoke emotion, to invoke a specific idea. This is opposed to the latter which ask a certain question: Does kids shows today suck? That would be implying you didn't already have your answer and was willing to discuss the matter. The title you went with showed that you just wanted to ***** and complain about kids shows today without actually discussing it. And to my credit, your opening post does not indicate this willingness to partake in a debate whether these shows suck. It seemed like, to me, that you were just saying kids shows sucked. The only question brought up was "Why do kids shows suck?". What indication besides your opinion in which I already stated is not fact is there that cartoons suck today? None, that's how much.

That is why I called you probably a troll. Not my exact words, but you can infer that is what I meant. I did call you an idiot bitching about shows that didn't pander to your wishes too, a statement I stand by. See the use of the word "or" in my post to Grounogeos to which you responded.

Soviet Heavy said:
GrizzlyCow said:
LogicNProportion said:
You're just as susceptible to nostalgia, but unlike other people, you are too stubborn to admit you're wrong. The fact is you're doing what all the other "Older is better" fanboys are, comparing the worse of today with the best of yesterday. You can't even admit that it is all in your opinion.... It is not just nostalgia that binds you but fanboyism, too. You admire the past and can't comprehend something being better, so you think your opinions as facts and try to pass them off as so.

P.S.
If you want to see the very best of the 50s or 60s, dress up as a black man and go to the past that way. Society began degrading in the 80s, he says. Become black and go to those times, and then you can tell me that society was better.

I'm outtie, ya'll. For real. If you got something to say, private message me.

-GC
So now a topic that you've already stated was subjective can be considered wrong? So you accuse others of fanboyism because they don't agree with your opinion? So now your opinions give you the right to tell others that their own opinions are wrong?
Odd, Soviet Heavy, I explicitly said PM me if you have a problem. I only said that because I thought the thread was going through the process of death, but you couldn't have possibly have known that. I could forgive your first reply because there was a chance you didn't read my next post, but seriously, I stated to PM. Oh, well, I guess. I'll address your point.

I didn't say the thread or topic was wrong. I said that LnP's opinion--which he totted off as fact--was wrong. Get it right. I accussed him of fanboyism because he wished to go back to a time he never been in or experienced. He found things in the past to be generally better than things in the present, ignoring certain facts about. If he was Japanophile making the same claim about Japan, he'd get slammed. Hard. I called him a fanboy because his general disposition is not too dissimilar to that of a fanboy's. Y'know, if walks, talks, and acts...

Lastly, why shouldn't I use my opinions as facts? You, him, and others are doing it. Is it because I'm not in your cool club, or is it because I called you out on your bullshit? At least I can admit part of my argument is based solely on my opinion.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
LemonLife said:
That might have something to do with the fact that you're not a kid any more and when you combine that with taking off your nostalgia glasses, stuff is going to be pretty lame.
Back when I was young (and throughly unlearnt in English) I was watching the French version of 'Reboot'...
some 15 years later, I rewatched those episodes in English and got 20-odd jokes I didn't get back then :)

GrizzlyCow

Apr 3, 2010
Grounogeos said:
GrizzlyCow said:
I'm glad I was born in the 90s; I dislike the Looney Toons-styled cartoons. Not only do I find them mostly not funny but offensive (not offensive as in the Moral Guardian sense, but offensive as in the "Coon"-sense).

Anyway, I digress, you're bullshit, and your argument is bullshit:
1st) Dora the Explorer's targeted demographic is toddlers and young children. Looney Toons-styled cartoons' targeted demographic are preadolescences and up. Dora the Explorer carters to an extremely specific demographic, and Looney Toons appeals to a larger group. It is reasonable that you don't like because--pay attention now--because you were not meant to like it! Comparing the two shows your bias.
2nd) Like I mentioned before, it all boils down to your opinion. Yeah, you liked cartoons from a time ago, and yeah, people here seems to agree with that. Don't take it as a fact that cartoons' quality is in decline. It is your opinion that cartoons back then were better than cartoons today. The whole subject is bullshit because the whole matter is subjective. This thread is for people to ***** about shows on today that they don't like.
3rd) Looney Toons wasn't a kids show. It was a cartoon for young adults (young men to be exact), but most people apparently thought it was okay for their children to watch. When I asked before, it was rhetorical.
4th) This thread is probably a flamebait when I think about it. The subject matter is too subjective to have any discussion over. The OP must have been a troll. It's that, or he was some idiot bitching about kids shows today because they don't pander to his opinions.

I might be put in probation because of this post. Oh, well, I guess...
Well, if this quote is any indication of what your future responses will be like, I'm probably wasting my time, but I still think this needs to be said:

There's absolutely no reason to get this hostile over someone trying to explain how they see something. And I fail to see how my opinion is any more biased than your response to my opinion is.

Whenever it comes to how people feel about certain things, there's going to be bias. I suggest you either get used to that fact and stop attacking people over insignificant forum posts, or you stop looking at forum posts altogether.
How can you discuss this? There is no neutral grounds, here. There aren't any facts; everything is just opinions. What can be properly debated here? Nothing. This wasn't even a discussion topic. I outlined the reason above.

Oh, yeah, the reason I consider my opinions and points less biased than yours is because I generally feel they are in fact less bias. I liked some of the old shows. Most shows I watch today are just recordings of the old shows I used to watch when I was a kid. I am a 90s child after all. I even watch the cringe worthy shows like Pokemon and Digimon with awe. Because of some nostalgia and my opinion of "good", I find these shows still pretty good, and I find that many shows today do not catch my attention like my old shows. That being said... I still understand all of this is nostalgia and a matter of opinion. I'm not being hostile, I'm being agitated. You see this kind of hate everywhere. I can understand the reasoning, but there is no logic to it. No point. Pathetic.

The problem with this thread specifically, and indeed the topic itself, is that there is no middle grounds. No facts to draw from. Bias should be beaten down by reason, logic, and facts. None of that has been presented on your side's argument. It essentially boils down to "I don't like so it sucks" mentality. And for the same reason someone loves a show, someone could hate it and vice versa. Prove me wrong. There is no scale for the quality of cartoons except for each individual's opinion. Some try to inject logic and reason into their argument, but they fail at it. They don't use sound logic or reason. Worse, yet, is the fact that you can't put facts in this argument. If you can't use either facts, logic, or reasoning in a argument, it is not a real discussion or debate. It is, however, a whining ceremony, the kind of ceremony you frequently see on blog sites. Y'know, the kind of ceremony bloggers partake in, whining about stuff while ignoring a very important fact: it is their opinion.

Do you disagree? Prove me wrong. Prove to me that this wasn't originally a thread for just whining about shows you don't like. It is evident that it is solely from the thread title and opening post, but go ahead, try to prove me wrong. Heck, I may brazen and generally mean-spirited, but am I wrong? No, I'm not. But you can go ahead and try to prove me wrong anyway, friend. I just won't hold my breath.

Oh, and to clear this up, I do dislike this thread and topic, but I never meant it was bad. Sorry if I implied that. I just meant it is bullshit, illegitimate, and unintelligible. And, oh yes, lacking a good foundation to debate/discuss on. That is also what I mean by too subjective: no foundation to truly discuss it on.

Grounogeos, are you beginning to understand the basis of my argument. I believe this post drilled it all in well, but I'd like to be exact and have your feedback. We can take this to PM or continue this on this thread. The choice of environment is yours. Just don't quit. That would be sad if you quit because you don't agree with me. It'd say a lot about your character...

HiReception

Nov 19, 2009
I was in a rather odd situation growing up. As someone who watched Animaniacs religiously as a 4/5-year-old (around 1997/8), when that show was taken off the air, I was converted to Cartoon Network. The shows on there, i.e. Dexter's Lab, Cow and Chicken, were amusing, but they didn't have that same "vibe" as A! did. So I'm on the samee side as you, but it was less "Kids Shows Suck Today compared to Yesteryear" and more "Kids Shows Suck Today compared to YesterDAY".

And another thing: I never liked Dexter's Lab at all, solely because he always fell victim to his family's ineptitude, regardless of his own achievements. Felt like too much of a downer to me...

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Ed, Edd n' Eddy was hilarious. I can't believe they actually ended the show, there was so much golden nostalgic humor in there. At least they ended the show by adding at least ONE more character into the fray for 10 minutes at the very end.

The Simpsons, 21 years and their quality has gone down faster than a Toyota on the slope of Mt. Everest. You couldn't really blame them, it's the longest animated series and longest primetime sitcom in history (and always the greatest), but the thing that irks me the most is that the showrunners refuse to cut the cord even when the show already ran itself dry. The last three seasons are tasteless, and the previous episode was by far the worst episode in the show's history.

HiReception

Nov 19, 2009
GrizzlyCow said:
Grounogeos, are you beginning to understand the basis of my argument. I believe this post drilled it all in well, but I'd like to be exact and have your feedback. We can take this to PM or continue this on this thread. The choice of environment is yours. Just don't quit. That would be sad if you quit because you don't agree with me. It'd say a lot about your character...
It would certainly say a lot about his...
*puts sunglasses on*
Cartoon character.

Hmmm... In hindsight, it wasn't really worth it. Oh well...

the secend child

Feb 17, 2010
yah i miss the shows like scoobydoo,dexter,loonytoons wish i could find my loonytoons dvds oh and Popeye the sailor man they were awsome and to end my depressing memories HELLO NURSE

DoctorWhat

v11.1 beta2
Apr 10, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
But if you want a good kids movie, go see How to Train Your Dragon.
which, from what I've seen in the trailers, is NOTHING like the book it's based on, except that there are Vikings and dragons...

You know what I hink is the worst? These crappy spin-offs they try to pull off.
Example:

"hey, remember the rugrats? Well, surely the kids who watched that are grown up now, right? So why not make a show where the RUGRATS are grown up too?!?! Surely the kids will want to see how their favourite characters turned out! And because they're all grown up now, they should be able to relate!"

"Johnson, you're a genius! I'll get started on it right away! We should call it 'Rugrats: All Grown Up!'"

"Thatll go down a treat! The fans will love us!"

Wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG!!!

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
I kind of agree and disagree with this thread. I agree because looking back to when I was younger I can pull up a huge ass list of all the cartoons I absolutely loved. When i watch cartoons today I can really only pick out a hand full that are fairly decent.

It's still not a fair comparison though because for every Batman TAS there was a Street Sharks back in the 90s too. 80s had its fair share of shit as well. Also, being that I'm older now I really can't judge flap jack or chowder now since I'm out of the age range it was meant for, so of course I wouldn't like it as much. Also there are some gems of modern day like Billy and Mandy and Avatar. Johnny quest also isn't too bad but I see it as nothing more than a backwards and less funny rip off of Dexter's Lab.

I will admit though, no shows of today have matched the creepy fun that was Courage the Cowardly Dog. It was so wild and twisted I still love it even now. Favorite episode has to be the bitter and hateful scientist who makes misery a solid weapon and shoots people with it as he travels across the city in his walking tower.

Also I don't let kids cartoons bother me too much anyway. Instead I'll just watch cartoons meant for adults like Venture Bros and all is good.

Oh and whoever said kids today can't watch shows of old on tv anymore was incorrect. That's what channels like Boomerang are for. Also I don't miss Toonami either since there is a Funimation channel. Mushi shi is an awesome show.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
What I miss are the old British productions. Characteristically, they would often have the most insane shit in them (like a circus clown being trapped on a desert Island, or a Welsh locomotive that communicates through a bassoon) yet they would be extraordinarily calm and placid. Is there still a place for that in kids tv?

SupabadMan

Feb 26, 2010
Everythings so bad, I agree.

There are some good ones out though... Spectacular Spiderman is a cartoon that I follow. I think it's awesome.

It's just that everything nowadays is meant to be stupid humour rather than funny and original humour. Thanks to the many bullshit newly weds covering little Jimmy eyes. I also partly blame MTV and Disney's real life shows. Thank the Lord that Hannah Montana's finished.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Let me just say, my soul died with Toonami.
Epic Anime
Epic Movies
Epic Host

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
The entertainment industry has run into the problem of EUTSWTTMCIASM, or Everything Under The Sun Wants To Turn My Child Into A Serial Murderer. If they make anything with even the slightest mention of drugs, over-the-top violence, sex, etc., they'll be ripped to piece by parents complaining that their little shit kid will turn violent.

Watch Tom & Jerry. Smoking, over-the-top violence everywhere, etc., and that's what made the series great.

Now watch, let's say Johnny Test. Unfunny, unentertaining, low violence...

We need the good old shows that they canceled to make room for Flashy Unfun Cartoon #45000. Courage the Cowardly Dog, Ren & Stimpy, Invader Zim, and all the lot.

I hate nostalgia.

Just Pman

Oct 18, 2009
Furburt said:
LemonLife said:
You'd be surprised, take Animaniacs. I never watched it as a kid, I didn't even know about it, so there's no possibly way I could be nostalgic about it. When I watched it recently, I loved it, I absolutely loved it.

I think the reasons they were better in the old days were that they were aimed at adults as much as kids, and they weren't clearly being run by committee over what's 'acceptable' for the tykes.
Maybe it's because Animanics was created by Steven Spielberg. But I get what you mean.
I was watching Spongebob today with my dad and our kid neighbor and It kept referencing back to itself (it would make a joke about something and a couple minutes later would variate on the joke and make it funnier.) Newer shows just make joke after joke which are pretty much hit and miss.