Killing Joke Film Controversy SPOILERS

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
kris40k said:
I'll also mention that The Killing Joke also made me feel a bit like a bastard considering the context when the Joker made the "coffee table edition" joke and I busted out laughing. I didn't remember if that was in the original. Luckily I wasn't the only one in the audience to do so.
Oh it was. haha

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
It's not the Sex scene by itself that's getting people upset though that's the trigger point. It's the entire romance subplot altogether.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Orga777 said:
ecoho said:
so yeah its heavily implied that bruce and Barbra had a thing going at one point in a few of the animated shows and movies.(mostly her pining after him and him resisting and such) to say that this came out of left field is just flat wrong.
It sucked then, and it sucks now. Bringing it back is asinine and just asking for trouble. I was looking forward to this movie, but now... now it seems like it is missing the ENTIRE point of what the Killing Joke was about in the first place. Like they needed a reason for Bruce to care about Barbra in a way that wasn't, you know, platonic in every single way. They had to make them some sort of lovers and pretty much degrade Barbra's character in the process. Unfortunate... Very unfortunate indeed.
I've been giving it some thought, and there's a more generous interpretation of the "why", and it basically would boil down to trying to change things up a bit from the events of Under the Red Hood and Return of the Joker (And War Games[footnote]I think...was that the one where Steph got the "sidekick hazard treatment"?[/footnote] if we want to count the comics). Ward 1 gets tortured and killed, Ward 2 gets tortured and brainwashed, Ward 3 gets tortured and crippled...it's the same song and dance for Batman each time and the producers may have felt the need to change things up for the Killing Joke by suggesting that they were closer to peers than father-figure and ward. Mind you, I maintain that it was a bad call regardless, but that does provide a competing hypothesis for the 'why' behind it.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Sexual intercourse between two consenting, fictional adults. Clearly the work of perverts! How dare those consenting, fictional adults have sex??

This is among the most ridiculous controversies I have every seen.

Shinclone

Nov 20, 2011
That's what people are finding controversial? Not that it is *heavily* implied that Joker rapes Batgirl after shooting her.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Shinclone said:
That's what people are finding controversial? Not that it is *heavily* implied that Joker rapes Batgirl after shooting her.
It's not the sexuality that's controversial (the same implied-rape was in the original comic). It's the fact that the writers had thirty minutes or so of new material to fill out Batman and Batgirl's character, and they jumped straight to "and they're banging, so Batman can be double-plus-mad at the Joker."

It's not a cardinal sin, but it is pretty lazy writing. Batman can have an emotional investment in another character without also investing his dick.

Me, I'm not bothered by it. But I can see why some other people are bothered by it.

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
Man this is a pretty savage review of Killing Joke
Did anyone see it can anyone confirm because it definitely doesn't make me too keen on ever watching it
http://www.newyorker.com/daily-comment/the-sudden-but-well-deserved-fall-of-rahm-emanuel?mbid=social_facebook

I wish Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill had lent their voices to the Dark Knight Returns instead

Feb 26, 2014
Davroth said:
Sexual intercourse between two consenting, fictional adults. Clearly the work of perverts! How dare those consenting, fictional adults have sex??

Oh, it's not just the sex, though that does disgust me in almost every way. It's why they included it. I get that they wanted to pad the movie out a little, but they went ahead and took the role that Barbara originally had in the comic (You know? The victim!) and somehow made it worse. So now she's the victim and the love interest! The sex scene is added to establish a more intimate relationship between Babs and Bruce. But... why? Was their non-sexual relationship really not good enough? Does the new status quo add anything to the story? No. It doesn't. The rest of the adaptation remains unchanged by this relationship and would be the same without it. It's actually rather insulting that the sex scene is added solely so Bruce can have more of a reason to be pissed at the Joker, because avenging a close friend and ally just isn't enough.

All in an attempt to come off as "Dark", "Serious", and "Mature", but, honestly, it comes off as some teenager's terrible fan-fiction. So edge.
Shinclone said:
Yeah, but that's something that the original was accused of as well, so it really isn't all that controversial. At least, no more than the comic.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Captain Marvelous said:
Davroth said:

Oh, it's not just the sex, though that does disgust me in almost every way. It's why they included it. I get that they wanted to pad the movie out a little, but they went ahead and took the role that Barbara originally had in the comic (You know? The victim!) and somehow made it worse. So now she's the victim and the love interest! The sex scene is added to establish a more intimate relationship between Babs and Bruce. But... why? Was their non-sexual relationship really not good enough? Does the new status quo add anything to the story? No. It doesn't. The rest of the adaptation remains unchanged by this relationship and would be the same without it. It's actually rather insulting that the sex scene is added solely so Bruce can have more of a reason to be pissed at the Joker, because avenging a close friend and ally just isn't enough.

All in an attempt to come off as "Dark", "Serious", and "Mature", but, honestly, it comes off as some teenager's terrible fan-fiction. So edge.
Shinclone said:
Yeah, but that's something that the original was accused of as well, so it really isn't all that controversial. At least, no more than the comic.
I'm sorry, what? How is she the love interest? Did we watch the same movie? Just because two people have sex doesn't mean they are going to marry and raise kids in suburbs. They just banged. And it's far from the first time that there was implied sexual tension between the two, I used to read a lot of comics, there was always that undertone. What is gross about two consenting adults having sex? Explain yourself.

Nowhere did the movie state that Barbara was a motivation for Bruce to hate the Joker. If that was the case, the ending would make a lot less sense. He never brings Barbara into it, it's about the Joker and Batman, and actually nobody else. He's not acting like someone driven by revenge for his love interest, at all.

The writer of the comic has already stated way back that the Joker didn't rape Barbara. That discussion is moot.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
So I take it this is what's getting so many panties in a twist?

Yeah, sex, whatever. I'm more interested in that edgy, edgy dialogue.

"You haven't been taken to the edge yet. Of the abyss. The place where you don't care anymore. Where all hope dies. Darkness. No parents."

(Damn it, somebody beat me to it.)

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Zhukov said:

"You haven't been taken to the edge yet. Of the abyss. The place where you don't care anymore. Where all hope dies. Darkness. No parents."

Ha. Exactly what I said it was and why it makes sense. Batman is Bojack Horseman level broken.

The only thing that would of made that scene better is if she had placed his hand on her hip for him.

Also, is that Tara Strong? Cause I'm getting total Twilight Sparkles vibe.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I don't get why on one hand we want women to be strong but on the other as soon as they use their strength to do something we disapprove of we deem them weak malleable playthings at the hands of the man in their life who is taking advantage of their womanly dumbs. In fact, being strong entails being free to make any choices, even choosing submissive vulnerability. The importance is that one is allowed to choose, not what they choose.

And to the ones who say that it is the writers, not her, making the choosing. Yes, welcome to fiction. Same goes for whatever other character, including the strong women that you like. They, too, are written by a writer and designed to tickle someone's fancy in some way. Sometimes its yours, sometimes it isn't, the fact that a writer and not the character makes the choices, however, is ubiquitous. To point it out only here so as to discredit this choice, purely because you dislike it, is intellectually dishonest.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zhukov said:

I don't think it's the sex scene itself is what is getting people mad. It's a combination of the fact that Bruce Wayne can most likely be tried for statutory rape, that he's always been a sort of father figure to Barbra and Dick so this is kind of creepy, and the fact that in the end this was only put in the movie to double down on the Women in Refrigerator trope. In the original comic Barbra's only purpose was to get shot and crippled to torment her father and Batman, and now they're adding another layer to it.

It's just...LAZY!

EDIT: And before anyone says anything I know that they had a relationship in Batman Beyond but A. they were both much older then and B. everyone hated it then too.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
erttheking said:
Zhukov said:

I don't think it's the sex scene itself is what is getting people mad. It's a combination of the fact that Bruce Wayne can most likely be tried for statutory rape, that he's always been a sort of father figure to Barbra and Dick so this is kind of creepy, and the fact that in the end this was only put in the movie to double down on the Women in Refrigerator trope. In the original comic Barbra's only purpose was to get shot and crippled to torment her father and Batman, and now they're adding another layer to it.

It's just...LAZY!

EDIT: And before anyone says anything I know that they had a relationship in Batman Beyond but A. they were both much older then and B. everyone hated it then too.
Yeaaaah, I know.

I'm just incapable of getting my dander up over a couple of cartoon characters engaging in some off-screen fucking. It's an adaption I have no investment in of a story I was unimpressed by featuring a character I don't care about who has been portrayed in many ways by many different people. Throw this one on the pile.

I get the argument. In the original story the sole female character was only there to suffer and drive the conflict between three men. (Or die to advance the story of a male in the case of Joker's wife, if she actually existed.) They try to flesh out her role in the animated adapted and end up just doubling down on the "error" of the original by having her exist to fuck the male lead then suffer to drive the conflict blah de blah de blah.

I get it.

But I have no intention of dying on this sad little hill.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
So, after seeing the movie.

... That's what people were getting upset about?

I mean, yeah, the movie was pretty "Meh" overall, and the whole "Killing Joke" thing is something people are pretty aware of at this stage, so, there's very little that people who know much about Batman are going to be surprised by.

So, I guess when you consider that, it makes sense they play to the whole Batman and Barbra having a fling, but, it's a pretty minor point in the storyline and doesn't really serve much in the way of Batman's motivation. If anything, he seems to not really care much. But, It's Batman, he's not supposed to be emotional. So, he isn't.

In regards to Barbra being raped and that whole thing. It's The Killing Joke. The joker is a murderer, there's nothing redeemable or above him. You're supposed to hate him, you're not supposed to say, "Oh, well, how dare he! That's real awful of him". Yeah, no shit.

So, I mean, even as somebody who's not hardcore into Batman and so on, nothing unexpected.

I was pretty surprised to see Barbra assault a guy for saying he needed space from his girlfriend. Holy shit Barbra, you're supposed to be one of the good guys.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
circularlogic88 said:
Just another disappointing DC Animated movie. Nothing out of the ordinary since Justice League War.
How can this be?!

Bruce Timm worked on this?!

Oh wait he is only producer....Brian Arazello is the screenwriter and Sam Liu is the director.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Am I the only one disappointed by how half-assed the sex scene itself was?

I mean we literally got to see maybe 2 seconds of Barbara in a bra and that's it. Come on, they could've shown so much more...I mean if you're going there, might as well commit to it.

The Lunatic said:
I was pretty surprised to see Barbra assault a guy for saying he needed space from his girlfriend.
No that was fine, nobody is making a deal out of it. A girl should be able to let off some steam if she wants to. It's empowering.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
I guess it's cool to hate on the DC animated movies now? Kids these days.. I guess I'll never be cool.