Killzone Devs Pushed for Curved Triggers on DualShock 4

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
I honestly don't know how to feel about this. On one hand, I do like the hefty 360 controller. I like it so much I got one for my PC. On the other hand, the PS controllers always felt perfect for my dainty female hands.

Bu then, I'm far more worried about this novel idea of a touch screen. What the hell will they even fit there? Having never even seen a Wii U pad, I feel skeptical about a controller that takes my eyes off the screen for any reason.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Jumplion said:
Let's be honest; the Gamecube controller is what would happen if someone decided to slap buttons together on some fly paper. I would always mix up where the X and Y buttons were on the Gamecube, and that C-stick thing was almost never used in any game I played/ But damn were those triggers fun to use. Click-clack.
Those triggers were to die for, the face buttons weren't much but when you played as link on Soul Caliber, didn't matter.

That heavy click clack the shoulder buttons did... its the same feeling you get when you change gears on a Ferrari, its like a hammer from heaven, greased with olive oil.

Jumplion said:
The Xbox controller always seemed to hurt my fingers when I used it. Then again I've only ever used Xbox controllers with battery packs on the back, I don't know if they have other types of wireless controllers for the console. My fingers would end up squeezed against the thing and it would hurt like hell after an hour or so. The dualshock controller was always fine for me, I dunno.
I always find that my little fingers grip and pull apart a Xbox360 controller, its like they curl and curve harder each minute, but with a DualShock my hands just rest in place not thinking about holding onto it.

But that's just me, I'm wierd, as evident by my previous statement.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The real question isn't about the shape per se. The real question: Will I still be squeezing marshmallows, or will they finally have a decent action on them?

TecnoMonkey

Jul 2, 2012
Mechalynx said:
I honestly don't know how to feel about this. On one hand, I do like the hefty 360 controller. I like it so much I got one for my PC. On the other hand, the PS controllers always felt perfect for my dainty female hands.

Bu then, I'm far more worried about this novel idea of a touch screen. What the hell will they even fit there? Having never even seen a Wii U pad, I feel skeptical about a controller that takes my eyes off the screen for any reason.
It's not a touch screen, it's a touch pad, probably to help navigating menus and such. So it's likely that you wont be taking your eyes off the screen to look at the controller since nothing is going to be displayed there.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Issurru said:
Looks like I'm in the minority, I don't like this controller or the 360 controller either. I loved the old dualshock controllers and find the 360 controller rather uncomfortable to hold and don't like the dpad and analog stick being moved around. Sure hope they make a "classic" controller for the ps4 or something akin to that.
Albeit my complaint isn't worth much since I don't really play console games anyway, this generation is the only one I'll be sitting and waiting instead of just rushing out and buying everything within a week of it launching
Agreed mate, PS3's controller walks all over the 360's, fits perfectly in my hands.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
TecnoMonkey said:
Mechalynx said:

It's not a touch screen, it's a touch pad, probably to help navigating menus and such. So it's likely that you wont be taking your eyes off the screen to look at the controller since nothing is going to be displayed there.
You mean like scrolling through the menues? Because that sounds silly. We already have the D-pad and the left joystick for that and I wll have to move one of my hands to the top of the controller to utilise the touchpad.

I wish they'd just show how the controller works at the press release.

Captcha: stop wasting time

Fine, Captcha, I'll dive back into the c++ book.

Aug 31, 2011
kortin said:
The PS3 controller is great. I love it. These changes are bad.
I'm in agreement. As for the xbox users wanting offset analog sticks, just stick with the xbox then. I despise the 360's controller. If I could find a way to use a PS3 controller with the 360, I would. The only reason you prefer the offset analog sticks is because you're familiar with them. Most PS3 users are familiar with how they are now; changing them would be irritating to the people who actually use Playstation as their primary console. One isn't better than the other because your muscles get trained to whatever you use.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
What I like about the PS3 controller is that R1 and L1 are the Primary shoulder buttons, and you can use the middle finger for R2 and L2. I hope it stays that way.

At the 360, you had to awkwardly shift your positions to get the bumpers. It's obvious they wanted it to be like gun triggers or something, but I didn't like it.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
I don't really get it. I'm looking at my DualShock 3 and to the best of what I can tell it has curved triggers already. So I suppose the earlier prototype controllers didn't or that the DS3 just wasn't curved enough for their tastes? If it's the latter I don't really see how it would make a huge difference so I guess I'd just have to get my hands on it to see how it works out.

DigitalSushi said:
I always find that my little fingers grip and pull apart a Xbox360 controller, its like they curl and curve harder each minute, but with a DualShock my hands just rest in place not thinking about holding onto it.

But that's just me, I'm wierd, as evident by my previous statement.
I seem to have a similar issue with it. If you're anything like me I think it might be more that you don't really hold a DualShock controller so much as you do balance it using your thumbs and middle fingers. Since it's smaller and lighter this is really easy to accomplish but with the larger and heavier 360 controller the weight is a bit off so it more easily slips out of balance and you have to use the ring/pinky fingers to compensate more.

Regardless I know that many of my massively palmed friends are very happy to see a larger DualShock controller so they can more easily grasp onto it. Personally thankful they didn't move the analog sticks around. I don't notice any difference in performance between the 2 controllers across multiple games (minus fighting games in which case the 360 controller had its knees shot out for unrelated reasons) but I assume it's just my personal longer use of DualShock controllers that leaves me biased towards the analog sticks being next to each other.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Souplex said:
Proverbial Jon said:
Curved triggers, headphone jack, indented analog sticks...

So... basically it's more like the Xbox 360 controller now then?

About bloody time. I have a preference for my 360 simply because it has the superior controller.
Agreed.
Somewhere between the Gamecube controller and the 360 controller lies the formula for the perfect controller.
The PS4 controller looks like the first comfortable Sony controller, although they still need to swap the left stick and control pad.
Yup. My thoughts too!
Having the analogues so close together always feels weird to me. But that really is the smallest of my gripes as the DS4 looks really promising and I was hoping they would substantially change the DS3.

I hope that when it turns out the be as good as it looks, that the PC drivers are available for it :p

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
If it feels like a 360 controller then this has me almost in the net.

The headset configuration is an added bonus and this coming from the Killzone people has my trust.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
Korten12 said:
mjc0961 said:
Too bad nobody could get Sony to fix their d-pad, though.
What..? Doesn't everyone consider Sony's D-pad superior to the 360?
I think he's confused???

I see no point in altering the triggers, as every PS shooter aside from a few use the R1/L1 for shooting and aiming. Curving the "triggers" only ruins the controller for all the other genres Sony is known for.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Korten12 said:
mjc0961 said:
Are there any games out there that really use the d-pad other then once in a blue moon. I dont think I have ever played a ps2/ps3 game that really gave the d-pad an important feature.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
Curved triggers, headphone jack, indented analog sticks...

So... basically it's more like the Xbox 360 controller now then?

About bloody time. I have a preference for my 360 as a console simply because it has the superior controller.
Yes and no to that. I do like how you have a headphone jack on the 360 controller and it's easier to do voice chat but that controller mangles my hand after a bit of gameplay. The PS3 never caused pain like that xbox one does. Maybe it's just me. :(

edit: I think the problem is the height of the sticks. I'd like adjustable buttons and sticks on a controller in the future.

LiMaSaRe

Mar 6, 2012
It's pretty funny to see people trying to have a debate on a topic that is entirely up to opinion. The sticks are obviously in the wrong/right place on the ps3/Xbox.

I wish there could be a perfect controller, because its wrong for people to have to pick a console because its the only one comfortable to play.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
DigitalSushi said:
The Xbox360 controller was designed with FPS in mind, the original PS was designed with fighters in mind, so the ergonomics are targeted towards lots of button presses for the Sony control and lots of small finesse movements with the Xbox360. I like the DualShock since the Xbox360 gives me cramps after 5 minutes of play (I actually prefer the Duke controller when it comes to Xbox)

I'm left handed so the offset analogue sticks really fuck with me, not to mention that most games nowadays don't have natural feeling control scheme for us lefties.

I'm not sold on the touchscreen though, how the hell is that ergonomic?
Interesting, I did not know the motivations behind the different design choices. Being right-handed myself I also never considered how the stick positions would affect a left-handed player. I don't have an awful lot of trouble adapting to either controller on a stick layout basis... although 360 would still be my preference. Perhaps the majority of my games are better suited to that layout?

As far as the touchscreen goes... it's difficult enough on the DS/3DS when you have to remove a hand from the device to physically use the touchscreen. The 3DS is damn uncomfortable held in one hand, so many pointy edges! I don't want to have to take my hands off the controller for any in-game reason.

Jfswift said:
Yes and no to that. I do like how you have a headphone jack on the 360 controller and it's easier to do voice chat but that controller mangles my hand after a bit of gameplay. The PS3 never caused pain like that xbox one does. Maybe it's just me. :(

edit: I think the problem is the height of the sticks. I'd like adjustable buttons and sticks on a controller in the future.
I have big hands and I just find there is too little of the PS3 controller for me to hold. I end up looking like an old crone trying to grip something with claw hands! If I'm using the L1/L2 R1/R2 buttons for something like an FPS then my thumbs have an uncomfortable time reaching the sticks as well.

Curious how much disconnect there is between players over the controller designs.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Korten12 said:
mjc0961 said:
The d-pad on the 360 controller is unusably bad. Can't argue there. I still don't think the ones Sony uses have ever been good though, just less bad. The split in the center (rather than having it be a single, continuous piece, i.e. a solid plus/cross shape like Nintendo's have always been) makes my thumb sore after using it for a while, and I even got blisters from the d-pad on the original PSX controllers once or twice. If they'd just close the gap between the segments, it'd make me much happier. It's already much more accurate than the crappy disc ones MS uses, but it could be a bit more comfortable to use.