Kinect Confirmed for PC

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Not that much of a suprise, really. Considering how limited the console market is in Korea, it's little wonder that Kinect has to be used with PC games to try and garner any success. Of course, it is still unlikely to pay off very much.

tawmus

Apr 28, 2010
If motion control is the future, uggh. I have not once been playing an RPG and think man this would be so much cooler if I could dance around like an epileptic. If I want motion controls I'll go outside and shoot some hoops.

LightOfDarkness

Mar 18, 2010
If you can see your monitor from 6-9 feet away, you have too much disposable income/stop using your TV as your monitor.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
If only there was more room around here... I was really interested in Dance Central.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
You have to wonder about all the nay-sayers here... I mean, if they were remotely close to a typical population sample the Wii would've tanked and there wouldn't be an Xbox 360 or PS3. I met their earlier generation while they were pooh-poohing those new-fangled pointing devices, what're they called, some sort of rodent nickname or something... oh, yes, the "mouse", which they assured me would never amount to much because serious computer users used keyboards.*

I'm not saying that Kinect is the next mouse... I am saying that the nay-sayers tend to follow the conventional wisdom and therefor miss the big changes.

I'll wait and see what happens before making any big pronouncements, myself.

-- Steve

* They also tended to be command-line interface die-hards equally opposed to MacOS and Windows 3.1. On that I agreed with 'em... which shows I can screw up big too.
Oh, yeah. I remember checking out a programming book from the library and the author spent the better part of a chapter decrying this "mouse" thingie and it's inexplicable popularity. It was surreal.

Still, the mouse, like the keyboard and controller, has a couple key advantages over the Kinect. They take very little energy to use and are quite precise. Holding your arms up, even motionless, gets tiring rather quickly. The price tag and large space requirements are further strikes against the thing. I don't doubt that eventually, something like the Kinect, but better and cheaper, will become standard. It'd have to be something where you can point and motion directly at your screen while sitting at your computer.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Um, Minority reports anyone?

Seriously if the Kinect is made available for the PC there are tons of applications that can be used with your computer. As far as the monitor size. I believe you can set up PC to work with most HD TV's now, so it's really not much different then using the Kinect with your Xbox.

The real difference would be the ability to surf the web and interact with it using hand motions, have multiple windows up on your screen you move around with your hand and the ability to directly communicate with people around the world while dragging digital pictures etc into the conversation as needed etc.

Having kinect work with the PC may not have a ton of immediate uses for gaming (Although honestly I can think of a ton more for a PC then for the Xbox) but it certainly will give people a new way to interact online.

One last thing....forget about simple monitors. Have any of you thought that a PC interfaced with a Kinect is just a headseat away from a virtual reality setup? The Kinect can caputure your body movements and relay into the game and the headset could similate a full 3d world for the player. I don't know if any of you ever played the VR game (Think it was called terradactyl terror or something like that) where you and a bunch of others wore a VR helmet and ran around shooting each other and trying to avoid being picked up by the terradactyls....but you could totally simulate that with the Kinect.

Seriously the Xbox is limited to what developers create for the most part. The PC possibilities are limitless. A Kinect based MMO could be sick in many ways. I imagine the second life people are probably drooling right now.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
You forgot to mention that most PC gamers dont have 50" monitors hooked up to their PCs and having them be 6' away from a 22-26" monitor means they cant read the HUD at all XD

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Ok.. well Im not real supportive of the notion of yet another asian based F2P MMO regardless of its gimmick.

However looking at the notion of it seems intruiging. As for the people doubting its viability just consider, if your able to modify the drivers to work on a platform it wasnt intended to, modifying the soft/firmware around it to respect a different aperture focal point does not seem impossible. Instead of having it focused on ones body, have it focused on ones hands and remap the gesture list to respect more hand centric gestures, mimicing the whole minority report or perhaps smart phone touch screen style gestures.

That seems like it might possibly be viable.

Personally I dont get any sort of ambititon to push full body control, especially in an MMO setting. The 10-15 hour play sessions most MMOs are built upon would become exhaustive and reduce anything remotely fun into a tedious chore.

All I really see here is an upstart korean company trying to make their name in a vastly oversaturated market by pushing the notion of a gimmick. Well see how well that works out for em.

Oh and on that company... I know its pronounced "Pree" but.. I cant help but to pronounce the companies name gamepricks, Or I would want to, if EA and activision weren't already in mortal kombat for that title.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
DTWolfwood said:
You forgot to mention that most PC gamers dont have 50" monitors hooked up to their PCs and having them be 6' away from a 22-26" monitor means they cant read the HUD at all XD
You only have to have players standing 6' away if you need to see them from head to toe. That's not necessarily the case for PC games, which could be coded to assume a sitting player and be looking for finger motions.

I'll also add that I sit 6'-7' away from my 26" HDTV when playing my Xbox, and can read HUDs in those games just fine. (Unless they're badly-built HUDs, using whacky fonts or too much transparency or something.)

-- Steve

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Anton P. Nym said:
DTWolfwood said:
You only have to have players standing 6' away if you need to see them from head to toe. That's not necessarily the case for PC games, which could be coded to assume a sitting player and be looking for finger motions.

I'll also add that I sit 6'-7' away from my 26" HDTV when playing my Xbox, and can read HUDs in those games just fine. (Unless they're badly-built HUDs, using whacky fonts or too much transparency or something.)

-- Steve
yes your right im sorry that i used a very general misconception of a new technology in my broad generalization and that it doesn't agree with your very specific situation. my bad

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Vhite said:
Yay, we get the eyetoy thingy. Nice to see that Microsoft remembered that people also play games on PCs but it looks like they already forgot what games people play on them.
No, they didn't forgot, they simply expect it to change because they say so.

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
If you need to be able to do a one armed spinning handstand in front of the camera to pull off the one in the picture I'm probably gonna suck at this game.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
teh_Canape said:
you know what would be cool?

a working powerglove for PC

or even a U-Force, that one worked pretty well on the NES

but kinect?

sorry, but no
It's so bad.