Kinect v2 Priced at $200 for Windows, Coming July 15

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Kinect v2 Priced at $200 for Windows, Coming July 15

After unbundling the Kinect from the Xbox One, Microsoft hopes Windows users will buy the Kinect.

The second version of the Kinect sensor will launch for Windows on July 15, according to a Microsoft store listing. It will retail for $199.00.

Kinect v2 launched with the Xbox One, bundled with each console. Microsoft removed the Kinect as a mandatory part of the Xbox One in May. The console packaged without the Kinect costs $399. Interestingly, while the difference between an Xbox One with Kinect and without Kinect is $100, the cost of Kinect v2 for Windows is twice as much.

The peripheral will work with voice- and gesture-based applications for Windows, but users can't speak to Windows with Kinect. Microsoft finalized the hardware in March. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133341-Microsoft-Finalizes-Kinect-for-Windows-v2-Hardware]

Kinect for Windows director Bob Heddle said the Kinect will allow people to develop innovative touch-free applications. "Both the Kinect sensor and the new Kinect for Windows sensor are being built on a shared set of technologies," he said. "Just as the new Kinect sensor will bring opportunities for revolutionizing gaming and entertainment, the new Kinect for Windows sensor will revolutionize computing experiences. The precision and intuitive responsiveness that the new platform provides will accelerate the development of voice and gesture experiences on computers."

Kinect v2 for Windows sensor doesn't ship with software; it's intended to be used with Kinect for Windows SDK 2.0 for building applications.

Microsoft is holding a virtual training event [http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/liveevents/programming-the-kinect-for-windows-jump-start] on July 15, the same day as the Windows peripheral releases, designed as a "jump start" for any developers looking to use Kinect v2 to enable speech, gesture, and human understanding in applications and experiences.

Source: CVG [http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Kinect-for-Windows-v2-Sensor/productID.298810500]

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
The peripheral will work with voice- and gesture-based applications for Windows, but users can't speak to Windows with Kinect.
This seems... a wee bit silly.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Trying to palm that shit off to PC users now? Not gestures, but gesture "experiences". Of course. "Precision and intuitive responsiveness"...Christ, this speech is utterly divine.

"Just as the new Kinect sensor will bring opportunities for revolutionizing gaming and entertainment, the new Kinect for Windows sensor will revolutionize computing experiences."

...*Hnkrnfgbk*...my chest...

Cee Lo Green said it best, Microsoft.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Now that's a market I can see it succeeding a bit more, at least in certain applications. I know a few people in the indie film scene that have used hacked kinects for motion-capture and would love to get their hands on upgraded versions. Dat price though...

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Removing the Kinect makes the XBox1 cost $100 less, but the peripheral on it's own costs £200 for PC? How does that work exactly?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
So they're selling the Kinect for 200 dollars but the Xbone only costs 100 less when they remove the Kinect. Isn't that basically a price increase on the core hardware?

Barbas said:
Trying to palm that shit off to PC users now?
Considering all the applications that made use of Kinect well were not Xbox related, I don't see why not. Selling a model directly to Windows users means they can actually do something good with it.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
you know, the Leapmotion tried motion interaction for pc, and it was a helluva lot cheaper, more compact for a desk-space use, and still didn't get very far last I knew. face it M$... the kinect is a failure except for hackers, DIYers, and the gimmick crowd......and people who actually like it for xbone menu/netflix.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Does less.. costs more.. has very little useful application for gamers.. doubtful application for everyone else.

Come on MS, have you learned nothing?

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
When I read the title:
Sorry Kinect, I'm not going to waste my money on a peripheral with minimal use and that tells Microsoft about all the children I have in hamster wheels to power my PC...oops

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Can't use the kinect to yell at your computer? Well, crap, that's the one use I'd want to use it for, if only to pretend like you're in a sci-fi film of "COMPUTER! Do this. I would, but I can't be arsed". As for doubling the price because they want PC nerds to develop apps for it rather than do it themselves... Actually, you'd get some who'll probably do that, who am I kidding. I look forward to someone modding kinect compatibility to FTL, though.

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
*looks at $45 webcam sitting on monitor*

*sees Kinect is now essentially a webcam for $200*

*Decides to keep $45 webcam and laugh at whatever Micro$oft is trying to accomplish here*

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Kinects are awesome for tinkering.
However, why get a new, higher price one with limited functionality when xbox one-owners are getting rid of theirs for 50?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I can see a niche market for it, people working on omni directional treadmills and with oculus rift have been using Kinect so an improved version might appeal to them.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Just as the new Kinect sensor will bring opportunities for revolutionizing gaming and entertainment, the new Kinect for Windows sensor will revolutionize computing experiences
Hmm, I guess 'revolutionize' doesn't mean what I thought it meant.

revolutionize: verb: change (something) radically or fundamentally
Oh, nevermind. Must just be PR bullshit as usual. Unless Microsoft thinks that the future of home and office computing is standing six feet away from the screen flailing wildly to try and change browser tabs whilst actually opening MS Paint then reformatting your hard drive. All for the low, low price of way too much.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
kailus13 said:
Removing the Kinect makes the XBox1 cost $100 less, but the peripheral on it's own costs £200 for PC? How does that work exactly?
Because they don't need to make any money with Xbox hardware, all the profit comes with games/subs/micro-transactions. But if they sell it to PC users they will not get a cent after the one purchase, so anything they pocket needs to come in the base price.

llamastorm.games

Apr 10, 2008
It's like everyone has suddenly forgot about all the cool things people were doing with Kinect for PC the last time Kinect came out for pc, this is probably because everyone hates Microsoft more nowadays...
Why wouldnt the people doing these kind of things want an updated version.