Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 15

AkatsukiLeader13

Mar 12, 2012
I got to ask did anyone watch the KH3 trailer and think at the end 'That's like the World War Z movie' and then immediately think 'That makes more sense than World War Z'?

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
I'm not excited, I'm fucking pissed off. But I already ranted on another thread, so I'll be brief, and a little more composed this time.

Final Fantasy has been dead for a long time now, and any fanboys still holding it up are in it for the nostalgia more than the game anymore. Final Fantasy has been so far removed from the core games that we started playing that they're FF in name only. Go back to the library and look at games I though X, they were all great and they had the same gameplay style. Then it went to shit, culminating with XIII where you don't even get to play the game anymore. You just sit back and watch.

And Kingdom Hearts III? I could go on for HOURS on this one. I'm so damn insulted by this I can taste the bile in my throat. This isn't Half Life 3, where we've been waiting and nothing Half Life has come out in a decade. THis is Kingdom Hearts, the game they started on the PLAYSTATION 2, both of the first games before ABANDONING it to make a bunch of shitty handheld knockoffs rather than put the effort into making a REAL GOD DAMN GAME. And now, TWO WHOLE CONSOLES LATER, they finally put KH3 together. THey don't deserve to sell a single copy. The only reason that SE even HAS the Kingdom Hearts IP anymore is because they've made handheld games, cheap, easy, and quick to pump out just to keep Disney from pulling the IP away from them.

I liked Squaresoft, and I have a lot of love and respect for the games they made. Since the merger with Enix, everything has gone to shit(Yes, I know KH1 was SE, not the point). I'm ready to see this company go down.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm really excited for both games, I'm nervous about FFXV because of the development cycle, but the trailer looked really good

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
The dev cycle is literally the only reason to be worried about XV. If you've been following Versus XIII AT ALL for these years you'd know it's basically Nomura trying to recapture the good games.
-Airships
-World Map
-Main character's public persona is brooding type but once he (the prince) is out of the spotlight he apparently is basically Zidane

That kind of stuff plus what he's always described as a weightier Kingdom Hearts sounds great.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'm hyped for KH3, no doubt. Been waiting too damn long. I am however skeptical of the FF series. I still feel FFX was the pinnacle (or Lost Odyssey if you wanna get spiritual) of the series and ever since Uematsu and Sakaguchi's departures from Square, the series has lost something.
FF13 didn't feel alive to me, while visually stunning... It just lacked in so many areas I can't even say what really set me off. I won't even comment on X2 or XII.
Still Kingdom Hearts hasn't been butchered yet, and I hope they can deliver something that keeps the warm fuzzies I get whenever I watch the opener for KH1 alive.
When you walk away, you won't hear me say
Please... Oh baby, don't go...
Simple and clean is the way that you're making me feel tonight
Its hard to let it go.
Hold me, whatever lies beyond this morning
Is a little later on
Regardless of warnings the future doesn't scare me at all
Nothing's like before

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
Kinda off-topic, but is it confirmed that you need PS+ to play online?
Yes it is, but you get free games every month just like the Vita and PS3 versions of the service. I've been using it for about 2 years now on my PS3 and it definitely pays for itself withing the first few months. Seriously, we get Uncharted 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Saints Row 3, Little Big Planet Karting, and XCOM: Enemy Unknown for free this month. That's an awesome deal.

OT: I creamed when I heard Kingdom Hearts 3 was coming.

Kingdom Hearts is the series I grew up with as a kid. It's my favorite game series, right behind the Persona series

I can't wait to see what direction they take the franchise. Square has all of my hype until Persona 5 is announced.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Well... That looks nothing like a Final Fantasy, they need to stop misusing that title, and cramming whatever game they want into that poor, innocent franchise (They won't, but a man can dream). It does look like an interesting game, though, so... yeah, I'll keep an open mind on it... for now.

Kingdom Hearts... eh, I never really got it, but I hope you have fun with that.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
And Kingdom Hearts III? I could go on for HOURS on this one. I'm so damn insulted by this I can taste the bile in my throat. This isn't Half Life 3, where we've been waiting and nothing Half Life has come out in a decade. THis is Kingdom Hearts, the game they started on the PLAYSTATION 2, both of the first games before ABANDONING it to make a bunch of shitty handheld knockoffs rather than put the effort into making a REAL GOD DAMN GAME. And now, TWO WHOLE CONSOLES LATER, they finally put KH3 together. THey don't deserve to sell a single copy. The only reason that SE even HAS the Kingdom Hearts IP anymore is because they've made handheld games, cheap, easy, and quick to pump out just to keep Disney from pulling the IP away from them.

I liked Squaresoft, and I have a lot of love and respect for the games they made. Since the merger with Enix, everything has gone to shit(Yes, I know KH1 was SE, not the point). I'm ready to see this company go down.
I'm not sure if you've played any of those "shitty handheld knock-offs," but some are better than others, and the way I see it the last two on the PSP (Birth By Sleep) and on the 3DS (Dream Drop Distance) are evidence they're really trying again. I'm a bit ambivalent on Chain of Memories and Coded, and I haven't played 358/2 yet (only recently got something to play DS games), but I won't quite call them "knock-offs" because they do continue the story. The closest one to a "knock off" as far as I can tell is Coded, simply because it tells a story that's a bit contrived to fill in a space of time that didn't really need filling[footnote]It takes place just after Sora is put to sleep after the events of Chain of Memories.[/footnote].

But otherwise, CoM did more to introduce Organization XIII so the beginning of KH2 had more context, Birth By Sleep goes into keyblade and keyblade-wielding lore[footnote]And, for me anyway, felt more like a Kingdom Hearts game than even KH2. KH2 lost way too much fun and lightheartedness in my opinion, and the reaction commands pissed me the hell off. But BBS brought back a lot of those lighthearted moments and made the battle system feel satisfying and driven by the player again.[/footnote] I haven't quite finished Dream Drop Distance yet, but from where I am at this point it is a true sequel to KH2. It takes place after the events of KH2, and begins with Sora and Riku returning to Yen Sid's tower in response to that letter they'd received.

So basically what I'm saying is, while you've been sulking around for a console release, Square has been doing a lot of worldbuilding. And as far as a fan of the game since it first released like me can tell, duly honoring the spirit of their franchise. It would be one thing if they were just "knock-offs," but at worst what they've released have been experiments. Experiments in different ways of telling the stories of Kingdom Hearts and utilizing the idea of a keyblade in a battle system. They've built no further than the foundations already laid down by KH1 and KH2.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
FF15 looks like FF12 to me, with the whole political situation and people getting invaded. As long as the main character isn't like vaan.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
For anyone else who is just as excited as I am for Kingdom Hearts 3 finally getting some development time, I give you something for nostalgia:

God that's so beautiful.

And also I'm excited for Final Fantasy XV, simply because I enjoy ARPG elements, but would like it to see outside of just Kingdom Hearts, and would like it as a reason to get into Final Fantasy. Also, Nomura, just saying.

TheFinalFantasyWolf

Dec 23, 2010
Ah dreams do come true.

Plus two in one day, what are the odds.

Then again these are still trailers, it'll be a while before we can get our hands on any of the actual games.

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
Glongpre said:
FF15 looks like FF12 to me, with the whole political situation and people getting invaded. As long as the main character isn't like vaan.
Balthier was the main character in Final Fantasy XII. I don't care what reality says to the contrary.

Anyways, Looking forward to these games. Really curious about XV. Looking forward to seeing if the gameplay changes work as a main entry to the series. Was never the biggest KH fan, but enjoyed the games well enough to be enthusiastic about a sequel. (And for the love of Benji PLEASE put the Marvel Universe in it. You know you want to, Disney)

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
This going to sound really stupid coming from someone who uses Squal as their avatar but I'm not a huge fan of the Final Fantasy games. I only played 7 and 8 and clearly I liked 8 but I've never been interested in the gameplay of the other final fantasy games. But after seeing the gameplay for XV, I'm actually interested in it seeing as its an action adventure game

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Glongpre said:
From what we have been hearing, he is much like Zidane and Cloud combined, depending on the situation.
Zidane is one of the best characters Square has created. I mean when he finds out he is just a clone and...the feels are coming back. I loved what they did with Zidane and Vivi, and then they switch it around at the end. Brilliant.

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
A note about Final Fantasy XV...

It looks a bit... Well... True to life?

Well... I guess they said "Fantasy based on Reality"... But its still odd looking at it...

Nothing strikes me as visually interesting any more than a tour of Italy would, and we've all seen Italy/Rome in other games a lot more... But on the other hand, it doesn't look as Grey and uninteresting as said "other games" usually play it.

The rooms Noctus runs through look appropriately colorful and nice for a real world palace's attempt at decoration... But not anything like what we expect a fantasy magical place to look like.

It's ... "Normal".

...This also applies to the Monsters to some extent...

In the end... I have to keep going back and watching the trailer to confirm that its not grey or dull... Its just... The scenery is a bit too natural to actually take any real stock of the scenery... I just missed it entirely... Like my brain didn't even register it.

...And no I'm not saying its boring scenery or visual design... As anyone who's been to Europe would probably say otherwise...

I'm saying compared to what the characters are doing its like there's no reason to take note of it.

On some level... I guess that may be able to bring focus back to the characters. In that The characters look pretty awesome... and the story feels mighty dramatic.

But the bad news... It begins to feel like... While Noctis is dealing with a giant Dragon and a Cerberus or whatever... The way it all looks makes it come across as nothing of particular interest. Its like... "Hey a dragon, actually never mind, not important, city falling apart and guys trying to kill me".

Basically... It all starts to feel like I shouldn't be thinking anything I see is special, and I should accept it all with the same tone we would regard normal things in real life. Which I suppose makes this game, or what we've seen of it so far... Probably a lot better suited to telling a dramatic story than previous installments...

In that other installments, things like visually stunning worlds full of Fire-work like fauna, locations and events distract you from the more important events of the character's tale, which would take a bit of the edge off of the Drama in favor of action.

In the end, this game is turning out to be a major counterpoint to FFXIII, in almost every way. And i'd love to see more of it.

Still though... Considering my personal tastes swing more in favor of FFXIII, I'm going to have to say until we see more, I've temporarily got other games I'm more exited for.

...Although... I imagine I'd be right back if I saw a few more scenes that took place at night... The original Trailer when it was FFVS13, and the trailers following... When they took place at night and covered in Moonlight... Everything suddenly looked awesome...

I want more of that... And it fits better with Noctis' Name... And the feel of the story... And cities just plain look better with the lights on at night... Don't deny it.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
When I saw that Disney logo my heart literally skipped a beat. Then I thought it was just another HD remix. But then they started showing all the previous games and I thought there could only be one reason they're doing that...

...And then all my dreams came true and I experienced a nergasm the likes of which I haven't felt since the Brawl trailer all those years ago.

So, yeah. I'm excited!

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
I had a feeling that kindom hearts 3 would make an appearance. I don't know why.

Either way, I'm stoked. Still have to wait 2 or 3 years though.