Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy XV Will Have to Wait

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Meh, it's been said but I'm gonna say it again. This is exactly why their games don't meet sales expectations. Square Enix is going down and it's their own damn fault. It's like that old analogy about hitting your hand with a hammer. You keep hitting it, and when someone asks why you don't stop, you just say, "But it hurts". Of course it hurts, you are wasting time, money and consumer good will.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
I honestly don't expect we'll see KH3 before 2017 or, god forbid, the start of the next decade.
I look at it this way, if I can actually get completely caught up and LP every single Kingdom Hearts game before Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out, then yay I guess. Seriously I did the first Final Mix over a year ago and I'm barely on Re: CoM for YouTube now. XD

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
So there is no news at all except that Escapist journalists still love to make misleading titles. Wait, even that isn't news. We already knew this, they said it explicitly many different times.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Ponyholder said:
A game only JUST announced a few months ago and you are complaining that you have to wait? A game which has had no actual work done and, much like the Battlefront trailer, was only made for the E3 announcement and nothing more? Yet you and others complain that the game won't be released for years...

I don't get you people.
Um...No? A Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced by Square long long ago. The first actual teaser doesn't mean it was it's first announcement. And the trailer, having been in an actual game engine, being of actual gameplay, and stating to be in production(not pre-production, production, as in all scripts, stories, and characters are made and done, along with level design and enemies and bosses and balancing and what not), it is still disappointing to hear that it is quite a ways off, not just a little more to go. Not to mention, it has been 7 years since the last main line Kingdom Hearts, so it's not exactly asking for much for there to have been a little bit more done on it.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Tony2077 said:
well as long as its made i don't care how long it takes besides doing anything but wait is pointless
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Triforceformer said:
I'm guessing all those handheld games don't count story-wise, eh Escapist?

Terramax said:
That's typical. KH3 announced as a PS3 title to rally up sales of the machine, only to find later they'll have to wait likely a VERY long time for it to appear on store shelves.
KH3 was never announced for the PS3. You mean PS4?
Not officially, but it was consistently teased as a launch title. KH3 is like Half Life 3; no matter how much you say it isn't happening everyone will still think it is. It doesn't help that they say "making the next KH game" and then make all the side games. If it's not the third KH game don't call it KH3 Square, you're just getting everyone's hopes up.
i have to wonder what you mean by that last part
The Kingdom Hearts Games:
Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
KH: Chain of memories (GBA)
Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts Coded (Mobile)
KH 358/2 Days (DS)
KH Birth By Sleep (PSP)
KH 3D Dream Drop Distance (3DS)

That doesn't include console ports or Japan exclusives:
KH Final Mix (PS2 Japan)
KH Re:Chain of memories (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded (DS)
KH 2 Final Mix (PS2 Japan)
KH 1.5 HD Compilation (PS3)
Plus a few more than they don't even tell outsiders about

Apparently after 7 games and a bunch of secretive ports they're only working on "the 3rd part." Seriously, they're worse than AssCreed in this regard, just below the likes of 'Call of Duty 7: PostModern Warfare 6, The Third One.'

Every single time they release a new game they first tease it being the 'next major installment' in the series, leading everyone to think that is it KH3. They then proceed to create a new game for a device no one currently has and call it a necessary part of the story. Fans are obviously confused and ask about KH3. Square's response has always been incredibly squeemish (like Gabe Newell/Valve is with Half life 3). This has been happening since 2007.

"What!? When we said we were making the next KH game you thought we were actually making the next KH game? I'm sorry you were mislead. We meant to say we were making another one, but it isn't actually the next." -SquareEnix

The game numbering rant:
There's the first Kingdom Hearts, but that is really #2, KH CoM is actually #4 as it starts after the end of 1, KH2 is actually #5, Coded takes place at roughly the same time as 2 so it's #6, 358/2 starts during the end of 1 so it's #3, BBS is actually the first part of the series so #1, and DDD actually is the latest at #7. Calling it KH3 'makes sense' because there is no '3' yet, but it is really #8.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
well that will teach me to ask that kind of question. i will never understand people like you

ok we have all these game but there not really the third one but since we have all those other ones lets call it kh8 does that make sense

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Tony2077 said:
well that will teach me to ask that kind of question. i will never understand people like you

ok we have all these game but there not really the third one but since we have all those other ones lets call it kh8 does that make sense
It's quite obvious that Square Enix subscribes to the number counting method that Capcom has, because I'm pretty sure there are way more than 6 Resident Evil games. XD

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Neronium said:
Tony2077 said:

It's quite obvious that Square Enix subscribes to the number counting method that Capcom has, because I'm pretty sure there are way more than 6 Resident Evil games. XD
hmm maybe but even so there will be people that if they did number them with the amount of games that would wonder where 3-7 are

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Ponyholder said:
klaynexas3 said:
Ponyholder said:
A game only JUST announced a few months ago and you are complaining that you have to wait? A game which has had no actual work done and, much like the Battlefront trailer, was only made for the E3 announcement and nothing more? Yet you and others complain that the game won't be released for years...

I don't get you people.
Um...No? A Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced by Square long long ago. The first actual teaser doesn't mean it was it's first announcement. And the trailer, having been in an actual game engine, being of actual gameplay, and stating to be in production(not pre-production, production, as in all scripts, stories, and characters are made and done, along with level design and enemies and bosses and balancing and what not), it is still disappointing to hear that it is quite a ways off, not just a little more to go. Not to mention, it has been 7 years since the last main line Kingdom Hearts, so it's not exactly asking for much for there to have been a little bit more done on it.
All they said was that there would be a formal Kingdom Hearts 3, I hardly consider that an announcement of the game being made (as in it is in pre-production).

Also, in what world do you live in where a game that is in-production (which it currently is as you said) consists of all characters, story, gameplay, level design and bosses already finished? Do you understand what game design is? Do you understand how long it is to create these models, these character designs, the worlds, items, bosses, leveling and on top of all that the rather complex story, finishing it, putting a bow on it, and tieing up all loose ends? All the while making new design choices (which happens more often than not in the actual designing of the game, not in pre-production). Things change, new ideas sprout up, things are moved or removed. Game design is not nearly as simple as you think it is.

It is at the VERY LEAST 5% done.

Also, no. It has been 7 years since the last NUMBERED release of Kingdom Hearts, however every single game (except 358/2 and RE:Coded to an extent) moves the story along quite a bit. Birth By Sleep (released 3 years ago and considered by Square/Nomura to be "Kingdom Hearts 0") and Dream Drop Distance, released just last year moved the story along a lot. Saying that they are "side stories" and not important (which is how you are making it sound) is incredibly naive and quite frankly idiotic.
No, the pre-production stage involves planning out all stages of the game. Whether they fully stick with that or diverge later is completely up to them, however, they do have a plan, otherwise they would not begin working on a game that they have no map for. It's like writing a book a page at a time with no planning for what comes next, yes it can be done, but it typically turns out to be shite. It's the same way for movies, TV shows, hell even paintings, they have to have a plan before hand(more than 5%). Things do change, but they wouldn't go ahead without having some sort of plan. I'm not saying they'll have the characters down to the amount of times they've taken a piss and how that made them the character that they are, but they at least have a plain idea. I know game design isn't simple, it is going to be my profession, and in striving to become a game designer I learned that planning is key, or else you're going nowhere, and from seeing Nomura's other game work, I have faith enough in him that he wouldn't jump in without having some sort of plan before the actual game was made

And I never said they weren't important, however they are still side stories and not the main line series, hence them not getting the number. I love them all and think they all add a great amount to the story and universe and are important to the series, so as a response, putting words into someones mouth is quite frankly idiotic.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Tony2077 said:
hmm maybe but even so there will be people that if they did number them with the amount of games that would wonder where 3-7 are
That's the reason for the HD 1.5, and later the HD 2.5, remixes to be honest, well that and the obvious cash grab. They're bundling everything together so then everyone can access the games on one system.

1.5 is out now and it has Re: Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, and the cutscenes from 358/2 Days. 2.5 is gonna have Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix + more than likely, Birth by Sleep Final Mix, and they'll probably do the cutscenes for Re: Coded like how they did for 358/2 Days again.
You find out about 2.5 from 1.5 after you beat one of the games on the collection. Once you do it'll unlock a special credits on the game select screen that shows stuff that's gonna be in 2.5.

When it comes to Dream Drop Distance I believe they said that they aren't doing an HD remake of that one, but it can change at some point I'm sure.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
klaynexas3 said:
You, and several other people on The Escapist need to get your facts straight.

Congratulations, The Escapist. You're reporting on something that EVERYONE THAT ACTUALLY CARES KNEW MONTHS AGO.
Anyone who gives a shit already knows Nomura is the lead director of both games. He already stated that the KH3 announcement was "a tad early/forced" when he's still very much involved with FFXV. He's a *renowned* perfectionist, he doesn't release a game unless it's completely finished.

And no, KH3 was NOT announced before E3 2013, nor was it for PS3. Any of that is sensationalised rumour. It hasn't *begun* production. Anything that was announced was for 1.5 HD ReMIX or for Dream Drop Distance, not KH3. Get your facts straight.

That E3 trailer, by the way? Not gameplay. Nomura openly admitted it's prerendered, not gameplay at all. Plenty of sites already reported on this. What rock have you been under?

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
MattAn24 said:
klaynexas3 said:
You, and several other people on The Escapist need to get your facts straight.

Congratulations, The Escapist. You're reporting on something that EVERYONE THAT ACTUALLY CARES KNEW MONTHS AGO.
Anyone who gives a shit already knows Nomura is the lead director of both games. He already stated that the KH3 announcement was "a tad early/forced" when he's still very much involved with FFXV. He's a *renowned* perfectionist, he doesn't release a game unless it's completely finished.

And no, KH3 was NOT announced before E3 2013, nor was it for PS3. Any of that is sensationalised rumour. It hasn't *begun* production. Anything that was announced was for 1.5 HD ReMIX or for Dream Drop Distance, not KH3. Get your facts straight.

That E3 trailer, by the way? Not gameplay. Nomura openly admitted it's prerendered, not gameplay at all. Plenty of sites already reported on this. What rock have you been under?
The rock that doesn't allow me to go to other gaming news sites, this is my main source for gaming news. And yes, I knew he was the director of both games, so don't talk down to me like I never knew that. I also knew Kingdom Hearts 3 was coming out after FFXV, this entire article is in no way news, which I had already stated in another comment if you had bothered to look up just one more from the one you just quoted. And as for the production part, unless you have the source stating otherwise, even in the prerendered teaser itself it says it was currently in production, meaning either that was straight false advertisement or YOU are the one that needs to get some of YOUR facts straight. God, if I wasn't on probation, the many things I would not be afraid to say to the many people of high egos and little respect for anyone else.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
klaynexas3 said:
The rock that doesn't allow me to go to other gaming news sites, this is my main source for gaming news. And yes, I knew he was the director of both games, so don't talk down to me like I never knew that. I also knew Kingdom Hearts 3 was coming out after FFXV, this entire article is in no way news, which I had already stated in another comment if you had bothered to look up just one more from the one you just quoted. And as for the production part, unless you have the source stating otherwise, even in the prerendered teaser itself it says it was currently in production, meaning either that was straight false advertisement or YOU are the one that needs to get some of YOUR facts straight. God, if I wasn't on probation, the many things I would not be afraid to say to the many people of high egos and little respect for anyone else.
Most of my post wasn't fully directed at you, but well done going on a wild tangent there.

I do not think you know what "In Production" actually means, especially for a game the scale of Kingdom Hearts 3. I repeat, Nomura is a renowned perfectionist. If it's a *main* title, he's going to fully complete everything. No DLC. Full game.
The words on the teaser trailer were "Currently in Development". You made the assumption in your posts that "the majority of the game is done. Areas, gameplay, characters, story." That's not what "Currently in Development" means. Like, at all. As someone else said, as of that E3 trailer, it was barely 5% made. They're literally in the early design stages. Nothing has been officially announced. FFXV has been Nomura's top priority, and he hasn't been satisfied enough to want to release it in its previous form.

And if you're really getting all your gaming news solely from The Escapist (baaahahahahahahahahahahaha... oh wow..)? I feel bad for you, son. Siliconera or gtfo.

Also; Captcha = SOUND OF SIRENS. Seems legit.

EDIT: "The first actual teaser doesn't mean it was it's first announcement. And the trailer, having been in an actual game engine, being of actual gameplay, and stating to be in production(not pre-production, production, as in all scripts, stories, and characters are made and done, along with level design and enemies and bosses and balancing and what not), it is still disappointing to hear that it is quite a ways off, not just a little more to go."

Oh, okay, I wasn't aware Squeenix saying "There is going to be a Kingdom Hearts 3" is a binding contract that it's actually being made right then and there. That's not an announcement, that's a statement of something that is highly likely to happen in the future. No solid confirmation was given. The PS4 E3 briefing was the first official showing that it's actually happening next. Anything previously was forced rumour and speculation. And anyone who believes that crap clearly isn't that smart.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Kingdom Hearts fans have been waiting for the conclusion to the Xehanort saga as well as answers to dozens of questions, but fans are going to have to keep on waiting.
I think Kingdom Hearts III was literally the one title that would've enticed me to purchase a PS4. But no, don't worry Sony, if you dont WANT my money, I'll keep a hold on it.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Loop Stricken said:
Kingdom Hearts fans have been waiting for the conclusion to the Xehanort saga as well as answers to dozens of questions, but fans are going to have to keep on waiting.
I think Kingdom Hearts III was literally the one title that would've enticed me to purchase a PS4. But no, don't worry Sony, if you dont WANT my money, I'll keep a hold on it.
isn't that a bit much they said to wait not that it wasn't coming

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Really getting sick of the super trolling of Kingdom Hearts fans. I already had gigantic sums of hatred directed VS. XIII/XV for holding up the bandwagon, and I thought that E3 had finally put that hatred to rest, but NOPE.

...hurry and come out, KH3 D:

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Okay. So with all that being said:

When can we expect Final Fantasy 15? Because honestly, it looks pretty good. I'd like to see a little unscripted gameplay before I get my hopes up, but it looks like a very strong contender to restore some of Square's image. Maybe.

Who am I kidding? I'll probably end up buying both at launch. Final Fantasy, why is it so hard to quit you?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Zombie_Moogle said:
Oh, we're gonna have to wait even longer?

http://images.wikia.com/glee/images/1/14/Haha_no.gif

Square, I thought you were trying to get it together? Focus on & release one, then I'd be fine waiting for the other
Especially good when you consider that it's disc-based games that's killing them.

Like, totally.