PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Review

A bit of overwrought genius.

Read Full Article

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Honestly I think the art style is really ugly. and combat looks like a cross between God of War and Fable, which does seem promising. I haven't seen that much of it though, I will have to give the demo a try.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I thought the same thing about the world when I got out of that first dungeon in the demo. It was beautiful. I was also glad the daggers were a blast to use. It's a shame it seems some abilities don't work how they should, but I'll still have fun mixing and matching them.

Edit: Also, the video isn't working for me.
Edit of the previous edit: Ah, there it goes. But I feel compelled to say, "Go Yankees!"

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I'm really conflicted about this one. I disliked the demo and the intro sequence to the game was completely impenetrable to me. But I usually adore open world RPG's and people have been heaping praise on the game.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Ooh, I'll sure check out the Demo when I have the time and it's on a Steam Sale.
I'm glad this Western RPG doesn't appear like the generic ones which crawl out of the primal ooze. It looks distinct in a good way and thus I am interested.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I've been looking forward to this game since E3 last year, and it's because of a feature from the Escapist, so I'm very happy to see your review.
It's such a shame that the demo was based on old code and outsourced to a separate dev, cuz I think it really hurt the game. Still, I've been reading reviews all day and I'm really excited to play it!
I love action and RPGs, I love huge games and I'm tired of the lack of new IPs and colours in modern games. This game may finally give me hope for the future.
Also, love that I was manage to get all the in-jokes about Justin from having listened to the podcast.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
castlewise said:
I'm really conflicted about this one. I disliked the demo and the intro sequence to the game was completely impenetrable to me. But I usually adore open world RPG's and people have been heaping praise on the game.
scw55 said:
Ooh, I'll sure check out the Demo when I have the time and it's on a Steam Sale.
I'm glad this Western RPG doesn't appear like the generic ones which crawl out of the primal ooze. It looks distinct in a good way and thus I am interested.
Regarding the demo, it's based on 3 month old code and handled by an entirely different team. There are a lot of bugs that are apparently fixed in the full game, though it will still give you a good idea of how the game will be. castlewise, don't judge it on the demo alone and scw55, don't expect too much from the demo.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
The aesthetic is alright, but from what I've seen from the demo the music is terribad. First time ever i've had to turn the music way down. Overdramatic yet generic crap. Odd that my love of melodrama doesn't translate into melodramatic music. And the camera... Ugh I still feel sick just thinking about it.

And I did get the feeling that the Role Playing side of the game was gonna be a bit weak. Maybe i'll give this one a miss. I don't think the combat and lore can carry the game through the lack of RP in a bloody RPG.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, that's relatively consistent with what I saw of the demo. Although I was not as admiring of the story.

Incidentally, most of the interface problems described above have been fixed on the PC version and replaced with other less annoying ones.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
This is one of those strange times where I can't even come close to comprehending why the game is liked so much.

The combat is fun, yeah, but the universe, to me at least, felt so dull and "been here, done that" that I wasn't drawn in even a bit.

And I SWEAR I've heard of the Well of Souls before in a separate fantasy universe, AND it looked like that >.>

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
I played the demo (3 times). I've read all the 'hail a new era of RPG has arrived' reviews plus the vomitous name dropping and 'hey, look what we did better than Skyrim' PR churned out by, I guess, EA. But I'm still totally unconvinced. There's nothing original here. It's looks and plays like Fable and has a levelling system straight out of Torchlight. Which is fine. And I'm sure it will be a fun game to play and I will pick it up sometime in the future when it's nice and cheap. But all this, re-defining of the genre nonsense is just laughable. There are so many fantastic RPGs available now and coming soon which strive to be original and defining in their own sense. KOA just isn't one of them.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
No, the reason I don't want to play it because it looks like JUST another hacky slash generic fantasy RPG, where you and only you can change [fate/destiny/tide] and save the [kingdom/world/people] by defeating the evil [empire/overlord/monster].

The graphics look... eh.. scenery looks ok, but frankly I'm so used to beautiful graphics even in my MMO's now that some pretty backdrops don't really rouse that much attention, especially since it looks like many others I've played.

I want something NEEEWWW, or hell even just a bit different, how about we get to play a necromancer who isn't evil, but constantly gets hounded by the forces of "good"... I might go write this down.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
I will probably get this, it is always nice to support a new developer and considering I hated Skyrim it might be a nice alternative.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
I really want to play this game, but steam doenst like running this on my computer. Makes me a sad panda. I have been looking for a new game to play in this dreary months of winter

Omega Deuse

Sep 4, 2009
Well, after playing the demo, I'm a bit torn on this. On one hand, I find the graphics to be overly reminiscent of WOW (which is to say sub-standard), the music has no concept of propriety (seriously, it goes into dramatic orchestrals at the drop of a hat, I was fighting a pair of easily-owned-with-a-rusty-knife? mooks and wondering if it should be hard because of that music)and the story (at least in the beginning)seems pretty forgettable. On the other hand, combat seems fun, especially with chakrams and scepters, and I'm curious to see how the leveling system works out.
All in all, I'll probably get it used or after it's comedown in price and I've had a chance to work my way through all the other new games that are coming out.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Hmmmmmmmmm...
Well...
Ummmmmmmm...

Three words come to mind :
- cliche
- uncreativity
- clone

Wait, make that four words :
- crap

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I won't pass because it's a new IP from a new company. I'll pass because last time I trusted you I threw away $60.