Kissing: why is it still a social taboo?

beniki

May 28, 2009
It's a bit rude really. Kind of like eating a giant cake in front of everyone, and not offering a bit to them.

That's how I feel really, even in those singular occasions when I'm the guilty party.. No need to go flaunting your relationship to the lonely buggers.

ryanxm

Jan 19, 2009
because so called "friends"make it a pain in the uh...butt to even talk to them

IM LOOK AT YOU MATHEW AND KASEN!

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
Pecks are fine. I don't mind my girlfriend pecking me on the cheek in public, it's harmless isn't it? But having to see and HEAR two people trying to inhale each others insides out of their gobs and can't keep their hands off one another, especially when I'm on a train when I don't want to hear ANYONE doing ANYTHING at all, I become enraged.

There's a place for a couple (or more...) to molest each other and it's in their house.

That's not prudish, that's just courtesy.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
The girl I love dislikes PDA, which is difficult for me, because I'm can't help myself but kiss her constantly. She does have a not around children (or stairs :p) rule that I've been good with.. sorta.

Then again I don't blame her, because me hands seem to make my way up her shirt at the same time.

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
I find it sort of immature for young enough people to just kiss when i find that kissing should be a solid couple thing, and thus of course i think people that rush relationships can ruin most of the "monumental" experiences such as a first kiss, intercourse and the such, and more people are experiencing these far too early.
Does anyone think that kissing too often is kind of off-putting in anyone before, say, 15 years of age? I don't think kids below about that age should have to worry about those things, especially having an active relationship. i mean, the majority of these early relationships fall through for a reason, dontcha think??
and kissing leads to all that other stuff.
well, i went beyond the original post, but you have to look at the whole picture.

as always, i don't say I'm undeniably right and all others are false, i just voice my opinion.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
What do you mean by kissing? The kissing that's just a couple giving each other a quick peck on the lips or the kissing where the two are all like "OM NOM NOM NOM NOM!" to each other's faces. Because I've seen both, and so long as the latter isn't too in your face (as in they're in a corner or somewhat out of the way) I don't see a problem with any of them. And I don't think that a lot of people see kissing in public as taboo, at least where I live.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Evangelion_01 said:
Azure-Supernova said:
I kiss my beloved in public, why shouldn't I?

It's perfectly acceptable. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly socially awkward... or a prude...
If someone doesn't agree with you that instantly makes them socially awkward? Stop making generalizations.
It's not a matter of agreeing with me or not. Kissing is a perfectly natural, social interaction between two people who share affection. If that were to you uncomfortable then yes, it's pretty safe to say that you would be socially awkward with that particular interaction.

VGStrife

May 27, 2009
tiredinnuendo said:
Azure-Supernova said:
tiredinnuendo said:
Azure-Supernova said:
People who refer to their significant others as their "beloved" without irony, on the other hand...

- J
And what's wrong with a term of endearment D:
If you and yours enjoy it, by all means. For the rest of us, when someone refers to "their beloved" or calls them "my love", it makes us roll our eyes and think you've read too many sappy novels.

Without putting too fine a point on it, you sound like something written by Meyer.

- J
rest of us -1.

I think it's cool you can call her/him your beloved.

As for 'my love' where i come from that is a common turn of phrase for opposite sex friends, let alone significant others.

OT: As pretty much everyone has said,extended makeouts are a bit....weird to experience from the outside.

Ok with a sly bit of tongue though :p

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I certainly don't mind if a couple kiss in public; if they really are taking it one step ahead, I might be a bit distracted, but I wouldn't be offended.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
Me and my girlfriend kiss in public all the time, though neither of us are much for caring about the opinions of those around us. We love each other and if we want to show it thats our issue. You want to look at us do it, thats your own issue.

Enigmatic Master

Aug 19, 2010
LostTimeLady said:
Recently it's struck me as odd the number of people who find other people kissing in public, so called PDA (public displays of affection), inappropriate or even so much as offensive.

The reason I find it odd is the amount of sexualisation that we're exposed to everyday people no longer bat an eyelid at half naked pictures on the cover of magazines, but genuine expression of love is still frowned upon. (Not that I?m condoning the sexualisation of society by any means!).

I personally used to have a problem with public kissing, that is when I was younger, but these days I think that kissing is an innocent, if sometimes passionate, expression of love and people can kiss if they want to.

So I ask you, fellow Escapists, do you think it's ok to kiss in public places and would you kiss someone you liked/loved publicly?

Discuss!

P.S. sorry moderators, I've not clue why this has posted twice and made two threads!
My opinion is that it's frowned upon because the people who don't have someone to show affection to can't and it makes them sad

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Azure-Supernova said:

It's perfectly acceptable. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly socially awkward... or a prude...
Yeah, it's not a social taboo, prudish dickheads just think that it is.

SkellgrimOrDave

Nov 18, 2009
In public my last girlfriend and I spent most of the time with tongues in eachothers mouths or retorting to "get a room"

You're getting off with someone, who cares how people react to it?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Well there's a difference between kissing someone and getting off with them, which is an important distinction.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
I don't have a problem with kissing, not at all. I usually don't even notice.

The only thing that makes me a little uncomfortable is people who will be right in public making out, groping, whatever. Whether they're at a doorway or in a corner or whatever, I think it belongs in private. I'm not a prude at all, but that's just my opinion. I'd love a world where we could all be affectionate without getting dirty looks from people, but getting freaky in public isn't cool. Little kids see a man groping a girls boob while her hand is on his crotch and . . . yeah.

That being said, a short kiss is fine. No matter what you're doing, I'm not going to be an asshole and just glare at you.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
I don't know if this sort of thing has been mentioned, but my personal view is it's fine once or twice, but you get these people who just stand there and constantly do it over and over.

I'm not a prude, nor to I have any problem with people showing affection (no matter your orientation). What annoys me, and as an example, is like the other day. I work as a cashier and earlier in the week, I had a massive queue and while I'm trying to serve this young couple, they're ignoring me when I'm asking them what they want (being that they waited ages in the queue and didn't even have anything on them to buy), and they're just standing their chatting to each other and every other sentence, they're kissing.
Maybe it's just because I was stressed at the time due to work and still had a queue of people waiting, but when people do that sort of thing, they just piss me off...

Once or twice as a show of affection is one thing. Making out in full view of others is over the top IMO.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
I personally have no problem with a quick kiss on the lips in public but I have seen two people french kissing incredibly passionately complete with noises and that is where I draw the line.It's okay if two lovers exchange a quick sign of affection but some things are meant to stay in private.