Kissing: why is it still a social taboo?

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
Recently it's struck me as odd the number of people who find other people kissing in public, so called PDA (public displays of affection), inappropriate or even so much as offensive.

The reason I find it odd is the amount of sexualisation that we're exposed to everyday people no longer bat an eyelid at half naked pictures on the cover of magazines, but genuine expression of love is still frowned upon. (Not that I?m condoning the sexualisation of society by any means!).

I personally used to have a problem with public kissing, that is when I was younger, but these days I think that kissing is an innocent, if sometimes passionate, expression of love and people can kiss if they want to.

So I ask you, fellow Escapists, do you think it's ok to kiss in public places and would you kiss someone you liked/loved publicly?

Discuss!

P.S. sorry moderators, I've not clue why this has posted twice and made two threads!

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
I kiss my beloved in public, why shouldn't I?

It's perfectly acceptable. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly socially awkward... or a prude...

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
GamesB2 said:
It's a social taboo? o_o

People must hate me then...
I've just found recently that people don't like seeing it but have bizzare double standards about it. Like they'll kiss a person they've only just met in a night club but if they're in a long term relationship, they wouldn't kiss their partner in public. It's strange stuff like that that I've come across of late.

Roamin11

Jan 23, 2009
I never thought it was.... Can't say I've ever told someone to cut it the hell out, or have been told to cut it the hell out when I had someone to be affectionate with,

Now if it was like the one time i saw a guy and a blow up doll, if there were kissing I would have to deflate his fun >.>

You don't bring that stuff on a public bus!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Is it? Sure is the first time I'm hearing that. At first I thought you were from the USA, as they're notoriously prudish there, but I didn't know it was like that in the UK as well.

Kissing's cool here in Holland though. Hell, there are movies made for children with topless women in them.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
The only kissing I really mind in public are those that become more extended periods of face sucking or make out sessions. A simple kiss is fine, but it becomes somewhat awkward for those around when you take it a tiny bit further.

krychek57

Some Random Dude
Apr 13, 2010
All depends on who, what, where.

For good grief give her gum back...

Edit:
Rednog said:
The only kissing I really mind in public are those that become more extended periods of face sucking or make out sessions. A simple kiss is fine, but it becomes somewhat awkward for those around when you take it a tiny bit further.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
LostTimeLady said:
So I ask you, fellow Escapists, do you think it's ok to kiss in public places and would you kiss someone you liked/loved publicly?

Discuss!
There is kissing and there is kissing.

A couple kiss each other good bye at a train station = fine

A couple devour each others faces for half an hour on a crowded train = not fine

Ross Gilligan

Aug 30, 2010
I don't think anyone has a problem with you giving your beloved a quick affectionate kiss, it's the extended sessions of sucking and public humping that normal drives people to judge you.

Perhaps they are reminded of a face hugger... Or maybe they just decided the couple was ugly and should commit such acts in the darkest depths of hell.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
It really depends. Kissing is fine by me, but blatant face-eating is just gross and I'd rather people did it somewhere else.

Before any ignoramus fucks try and tell me not to look, some times, you just see it accidentally. That kind of thing happens, tis' life.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Hey, I'm trying to get public blow jobs to be allowed. At least yours is legal :(

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
I think it's making out in public, not kissing.

If you look over and see two people saliva swapping for 10 minutes that's awkward and frowned upon.

You see someone give a kiss and then go back to something that's acceptable. At least with me

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Well, you know, when I'm stuck in the metro near two people who engage in endless kissing sessions, always making loud sounds and never actually caring that people are aroung, I get the feeling that they should, you know, get a room. No?

Well, maybe I'm just a prude? Well, I'd still be grateful if people didn't do that. I have nothing against kissing but when it's making me uncomfortable and feeling as if I'm invading someone's privacy, such things I believe should stay generally frowned upon.

wisemithrandir

Nov 21, 2010
For me personally, I don't like it. Mostly because I'm gay, and if I start to kiss my bf in public, people look at me with disgust, sometimes we receive threats. But some guy and girl can suck each others face off, and its ok. That's my two cents :O

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Continuity said:
LostTimeLady said:

Discuss!
There is kissing and there is kissing.

A couple kiss each other good bye at a train station = fine

A couple devour each others faces for half an hour on a crowded train = not fine
I agree with this, and I find I'm like the most liberal person I know, but I feel that if you're not private or at some sort of party or something, then you don't really need to get hot and heavy with eachother. Making out is more like foreplay for me, so I find it weird when people make out in the mall or something...but a kiss every once in a while just for fun is fine by me.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
Really?

In this day and age of sex magazines in grocery stores, gay pride, no restriction to minors for R rated films, and abortion, kissing is considered unacceptable public behavior?

I find this difficult to believe. Link please!