Kissing: why is it still a social taboo?

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
LostTimeLady said:
Recently it's struck me as odd the number of people who find other people kissing in public, so called PDA (public displays of affection), inappropriate or even so much as offensive.

The reason I find it odd is the amount of sexualisation that we're exposed to everyday people no longer bat an eyelid at half naked pictures on the cover of magazines, but genuine expression of love is still frowned upon. (Not that I?m condoning the sexualisation of society by any means!).

I personally used to have a problem with public kissing, that is when I was younger, but these days I think that kissing is an innocent, if sometimes passionate, expression of love and people can kiss if they want to.

So I ask you, fellow Escapists, do you think it's ok to kiss in public places and would you kiss someone you liked/loved publicly?

Discuss!

P.S. sorry moderators, I've not clue why this has posted twice and made two threads!
You've double posted the thread. You might want to edit this thread away, or get a mod to remove it.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Here in Germany most people won't care about a simple kiss. Most people will be offended by you slurping out your partners stomach but almost nobody would step up and say something.

It's kind of a german habit to not intervene until it gets messy.

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
wisemithrandir said:
For me personally, I don't like it. Mostly because I'm gay, and if I start to kiss my bf in public, people look at me with disgust, sometimes we receive threats. But some guy and girl can suck each others face off, and its ok. That's my two cents :O
So true...for the time I was dating my ex boyfriend everyone hated me, got called a fag, queer, among other things, and I never even kissed him in public, I held his hand.

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
Azure-Supernova said:
tiredinnuendo said:
Azure-Supernova said:
I kiss my beloved in public, why shouldn't I?
People who refer to their significant others as their "beloved" without irony, on the other hand...

- J
And what's wrong with a term of endearment D:
If you and yours enjoy it, by all means. For the rest of us, when someone refers to "their beloved" or calls them "my love", it makes us roll our eyes and think you've read too many sappy novels.

Without putting too fine a point on it, you sound like something written by Meyer.

- J

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
I don't think that it's taboo in cases where it's just a small thing, a peck on the lips or the like.

However, the kind of kissing that *is* annoying to see in public is the cannibalistic kind. I'm far from sexually repressed, but I really don't want to see people dry-humping on the subway.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
tiredinnuendo said:
If you and yours enjoy it, by all means. For the rest of us, when someone refers to "their beloved" or calls them "my love", it makes us roll our eyes and think you've read too many sappy novels.

Without putting too fine a point on it, you sound like something written by Meyer.

- J
It really is a shame that you can't say sweet things like that without being considered a sap (though this is the firs time I've actually been called out on it oddly...).

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
Jonluw said:
LostTimeLady said:
Recently it's struck me as odd the number of people who find other people kissing in public, so called PDA (public displays of affection), inappropriate or even so much as offensive.

The reason I find it odd is the amount of sexualisation that we're exposed to everyday people no longer bat an eyelid at half naked pictures on the cover of magazines, but genuine expression of love is still frowned upon. (Not that I?m condoning the sexualisation of society by any means!).

I personally used to have a problem with public kissing, that is when I was younger, but these days I think that kissing is an innocent, if sometimes passionate, expression of love and people can kiss if they want to.

So I ask you, fellow Escapists, do you think it's ok to kiss in public places and would you kiss someone you liked/loved publicly?

Discuss!

P.S. sorry moderators, I've not clue why this has posted twice and made two threads!
You've double posted the thread. You might want to edit this thread away, or get a mod to remove it.
It's been sorted, yay! No idea how it happened but never mind. Ta for the head's up!

Walkchalk

Nov 9, 2009
aseelt said:
Rednog said:
The only kissing I really mind in public are those that become more extended periods of face sucking or make out sessions. A simple kiss is fine, but it becomes somewhat awkward for those around when you take it a tiny bit further.
This!

Nobody wants to see two people sticking their tongues down each other's throat.

Unless of course you're in India. Kissing gets you arrested I think. Now there is a prudish society.
I'm already afraid my girlfriends parents are going to murder me in my sleep. Thanks for that one.

OT: I don't really mind it when people kiss in public. I even tolerate making out to a certain extent. It's when Im walking to class and I see the same couple making out and groping each other outside the classroom every single day that I start getting bothered...

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
LostTimeLady said:
Jonluw said:
LostTimeLady said:

Discuss!

It's been sorted, yay! No idea how it happened but never mind. Ta for the head's up!
You know, I was actually going to post an edit to my original message to explain and apologize for that I missed that last P.S. of yours; however, the thread was already locked when I tried to...

Edit: Whut... I was sure I'd made my initial comment in the other thread.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Kaleion said:
Is it really like that where you live? Because here in Mexico most people kiss when they say hi and one is a man and the other a woman even if they have no relationship other than being friends or even relatives, so I think it is pretty much accepted here in Mexico, I mean sure if people are giving it a little tongue in public most people will give you the look (yo know what I'm talking about) but a normal kiss and nobody pays attention.
When Mexians kiss, is it on the cheek or the lips? In Western countries relatives and close friends of the opposite sex may lightly peck one another on the cheek.

On topic, as everyone has said:
Light peck on the lips: Fine
Tonsil Wrestling: Get a room.

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
Worgen said:
because when you havent gotten any in awhile you start to hate people who are getting it
Hehe, that's true. X3
NotAPie said:
Oh wow, now I understand (at least a little bit) why I got dogged by so many people in the mall when I kissed my girlfriend.
It wasn't even like "MMMMPH MMMMMMMM" A quick 5 second kiss and all of the sudden I'm getting the most angry looks from people.
Edit: Yet, the 2 people pretty much groping each other in Hot Topic are fine.
That's because sex, or sexual things, seem to be just fine in public, but the minute you show love, you're the worst person in the room. This is not a statement, just something that to me seems to be the case sometimes, or a lot of times.

Maybe it's because of the mushiness that can sometimes, or a lot of times, follow love and the expressions of it.

OT: I wouldn't mind kissing my girlfriend in public, and I don't mind other people kissing their partners in public. Not even the ones with tongue and such.

wisemithrandir

Nov 21, 2010
NotAPie said:
wisemithrandir said:
For me personally, I don't like it. Mostly because I'm gay, and if I start to kiss my bf in public, people look at me with disgust, sometimes we receive threats. But some guy and girl can suck each others face off, and its ok. That's my two cents :O
So true...for the time I was dating my ex boyfriend everyone hated me, got called a fag, queer, among other things, and I never even kissed him in public, I held his hand.
Same here. Held his hand walking in the mall, and got death threats for it. Sad times.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
because seeing a couple full on sucking each others faces can be kinda awkward

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I think its inapropiate to be full on snogging and such, but just kissing? fine by me, i cant really judge that (or the snogging tbh)
i think a kiss is romantic and nothing to frown upon

however ive noticed that while it is mostly ok for a guy and girl to kiss, or a girl and girl to kiss people still seem to feel uncomfortable when 2 guys kiss and i think its disgusting how people discriminate against 2 guys but absolutely fine for anyone else.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Anyone who finds kissing offensive needs to die. They honestly are trying to censor one of the most human acts of love, its tied with Hugging or high fives in terms of social interactions. If people feel Taboo about it, they ARE NOT human. Fact.