Kmart to Put Community Game Reviews on Store Shelves

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
"[written] for an audience that may be made up of non-gamers."
This makes me think that they will take the "family-friendly" angle here.

"It's fun." Joshy, age 9

"I would've liked it better if I didn't have to share it with my smelly brother." Connie, age 10

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
John Funk said:
Red Dead Redemption: "'You'll hunt and search for treasure in a world teeming with danger. One of the best games of 2010."
As a employee of Kmart i must say you picked the best out of the three we have in my store. My personal favorite is the Splinter Cell one.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Well, they're not going to post bad reviews... that will mean less sales. This would be a good idea if they checked reviews and picked what seemed like a fair one, but we all know they won't do that.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Stilt-Man said:
"[written] for an audience that may be made up of non-gamers."
This makes me think that they will take the "family-friendly" angle here.

"It's fun." Joshy, age 9

"I would've liked it better if I didn't have to share it with my smelly brother." Connie, age 10
Yeah, this and other baseless stuff like "LOL PLAY [X GAME] ITS BETTER" are probably going to briing down the minority of good reviews. How sad.

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
Who buys games at Kmart? They have a horrible selection for incredibly high prices.

Besides, why should I listen to some sap's poorly written review? No real gamer would (Because no real gamer would shop at Kmart unless they have money to waste or have an employee discount)

Some reviews:

High School Musical game: OMG! It's SOOOOO MUCH FUN! AND ZACH EFFRON IS TOTES HOT! LOL!

Halo Reach: THE BEST GAME EVER! HALO IS AMAZING!

Mass Effect 3: Gay. Too much talking, not enough shooting.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
The people at Kmart are going to READ the reviews first you know

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I would never see them posting any of the short blurbs half of you people are coming up with, but I can see the entire length of their video game library with stickers only claiming each and every single game is the best game of 20XX. They have absolutely zero reason to put up a blurb from a review that says the game was bad. Why would you not want to sell a game in your store?

That blurb from Red Dead will probably be used for that Prince of Persia game its sitting next to as well.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I would do this under 2 conditions:

1. I would get a voucher for a discount on any 1 game for each review of mine they use.

2. There was a K-Mart closer to me than 40 minutes.

yes, I have a K-mart near me. 2 of them are a 40 minute trip, and a third is an hour and a half away.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
I like the idea, but I don't think it's going to end up working out so well. Really they should give the metacrtic score and the major pros and cons.

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
GodKlown said:
Actually, we still have a K-mart here in Ohio in my town. Granted, it's for the people who don't want to wait in the long lines at the Wal-Mart about two miles away, but it does still exist. No one is ever back in the electronics department, and if they are, they are busy trying to sell people on televisions or digital cameras.
I don't usually pay attention to the games in the case, I go over and browse the discounted games looking for a gem. I picked up Fight Night Round 3 for about $10 in the platinum hits box, which I thought was a decent score. They still have modern titles and consoles, but they don't service for PC games whatsoever.
Considering that I never see anyone younger than 60 working in that department, I'm guessing the stockboy in the back would writing the reviews, so I don't think I'll take much advantage of anything they have to say. That's what I watch Zero Punctuation for.
Right behind you with watching Zero Punctuation. Personally, I think it would be interesting to become a video game critic. However, it would require having to actually own a more recent gaming console than my Windows XP or the PS2 I just got a few months ago as collateral in a business transaction...

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Kmart exists still?

I used to have one near me...they died long ago and most of them in indiana did as well..when It was open kmart was never on the top of my list of places to go to for game purchases.

Sep 14, 2009
Radeonx said:
..I didn't even know Kmart still existed.
'

lol same

in my city it got raped on and is fucking gone.there might still be one in the ghetto..not sure

target is keeping up with walmart but still its those two for now where i live on stores like that.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
JB HiFi has been doing this for quite some time. I have noticed that they always give the games about a star more than they deserve. The resaons for doing this are pretty obvious.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
If that's the review they post for Red Dead Redemption (which sounds pretty damned inaccurate of the plot of the game to me), I can't see it going very far.

Then again, I do all my game shopping at Amazon anyway, so I won't be walking into a K-Mart (and yeah, there is one around here) to see all the facepalm inducing reviews anytime soon.