Koei Accidentally Published the Wrong Game

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Koei Accidentally Published the Wrong Game

Customers thinking they were buying Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII for PSP got VII instead.

Koei recently re-released Sangokushi VIII (Romance of the Three Kingdoms as the series is called in the West) for the PSP as part of their "Teiban" classics series. At least, they thought they did. The game's box had Sangokushi VIII printed on it, as did the manual and the UMD. What was actually on the UMD however, was Sangokushi VII, if a recent report from Andriasang is to be believed. It's an easy mistake to make; those roman numerals are tricky.

Koei has since apologized to users for accidentally selling them the wrong game and has promised to replace the misprinted UMDs with the game they actually ordered. Sales of the title's special edition have been put on hold.

While no doubt frustrating to gamers who spent their hard-earned Yen on the game, the gaffe does provide internet snarksters with some cruel chuckles. Sangokushi titles do tend to be rather similar to one another, and many commenters have suggested that Koei's replacement plan actually just involves stenciling an extra "I" onto the game's title.

Source: Andriasang [http://andriasang.com/con1x7/sangokushi_oops/]

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
OK, I can't even make a joke about this. Seriously this is just hilarious on its own and I can't for the life of me make up a joke that is bigger than this. Thanks a lot for giving me the laugh I needed Koei.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Wait, wasn't Romance of the Three Kingdoms a novel?
These games are adaptations of that novel.

Just like nearly every other video game, TV series and movie set during the Three Kingdoms era.

The Dynasty Warriors games are also based on the novel.

OT: Well, considering how many games Koei publish and release every year they had to make a mistake at some point.

TheMadJack said:
That's some great QA work there. /sarcasm
What's even funnier is that Koei games are almost always bug free when released in the west.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Well according to the internet and Xplay Koei just ships the same Dynasty Warriors,Samurai Warrios,Dynasty Gundman and Romance of the Three Kingdoms over and over you can't tell them apart just like with every EA sports game.
Hey! That's not a fair comparison at all!

at least EA changes the roster each year...

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Probably for the better, VIII wasn´t that good, and waaaay too shallow for it´s own good. Sounds cool that you can take on any role, be it Vassal or Emperor. But every role tends to boil down to the same excrusiating busy work. Every other game i´ve tried in the series have been a hell of a lot more interesting, especially IX.

But how do you publish the wrong game anyway? :D

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Well according to the internet and Xplay Koei just ships the same Dynasty Warriors,Samurai Warrios,Dynasty Gundman and Romance of the Three Kingdoms over and over you can't tell them apart just like with every EA sports game.
You obviously never played a game in this particular series... Unless you also think the kessen games look alike...

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
I loved this RTK more than the others, so the idea they screwed this up just pisses me off.

VIII was drastically different from most of the rest of the series, people buying it were likely going specifically for that game. It's pretty irresponsible of a company to let a mistake that big happen.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
ForgottenPr0digy said:
MrBaskerville said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
You obviously never played a game in this particular series... Unless you also think the kessen games look alike...
I did play one kessen game along time ago. I remember liking it
The third one was pretty good, the first two takes a lot of patience. But there was a lot more change and evolution to the RTK series and Kessen series than their other series. Especially in the last couple of games^^.