Kojima On MGS 5's Quiet: I Meant Sexy, Not Erotic

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
Seriously, who goes sniping in a bikini without even wearing any kind of camouflage? It makes so little sense, that the most possible explanation for Mr Kojima's charakter design was to have more naked skin ;-)

Archer666

May 27, 2011
Ah yes, MGS. The game series in which we have a half naked, muscular and giant Eskimo toting around a minigun that's normally mounted on helicopters. And a half naked bad-boy vampire that runs on water. A crazy lady who can deflect bullets away from her using magic. And a Bond girl. An evil electrical gay man and his twinky boyfriend who you strip down to his underwear. And extremely tight suits on men that show off all their muscles.

Point is, character design in MGS is equally sexy to both genders as well as over the top. I don't see any issues with this because honestly, its more of the same. Its sad that the Japanese-to-English translation he uses didn't get the proper meaning across and wound up creating a (as far as I know, tiny) shitstorm.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
The game isn't even out yet, so we got all of a few seconds of cutscene footage to base all of this on.

I think we can trust to wait that far.
I mean, what characters in the MGS series were objectified before, let alone female characters?

Maybe the faceless guards since I only saw them as obstacles.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
While I agree that sexiness isn't a matter of looks like erotic can be, this still sounds an awful lot like backtracking.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
Do people actually care about this stuff or are they simply seeking attention by trying to appear as politically correct as possible? Because I honestly couldn't care less. Does that make me a bad person?
No it just makes you erotic.

I mean sexy.

Did I say sexy? I meant naked.

Sorry, not naked, I meant apathetic.

OT:
So, a Japanese game designer wants a semi-naked character frolicking about in one of his video games.

I am stunned.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
grey_space said:
Adam Jensen said:
Do people actually care about this stuff or are they simply seeking attention by trying to appear as politically correct as possible? Because I honestly couldn't care less. Does that make me a bad person?
No it just makes you erotic.

I mean sexy.

Did I say sexy? I meant naked.
Quite fitting though, since she might be fighting naked snake ;P

fractal_butterfly said:
Seriously, who goes sniping in a bikini without even wearing any kind of camouflage? It makes so little sense, that the most possible explanation for Mr Kojima's charakter design was to have more naked skin ;-)
While again I find that going so deep on all of less than 10 seconds of footage is kind of silly, I do like the theory going around that her skin itself can change camouflage. Kind of like that invisibility skin thing from ghost in the shell. Except with camo, rather than straight up invisibility.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Egh...I can certainly understand the argument, but I think one needs to pick ones battles.

At this point harping on Kojima or an MGS game for having a tarted up female protagonist makes about as much sense as harping on a Batman story for Catwoman playing the femme fatale.

Now to be perfectly clear here. I'm not saying "well that's just how the character is" is an adequate defense for a poorly designed or written character, nor am I saying that you have to like the character or design.

I'm saying that setting and concept are things that matter and for better or for worse the MGS games have always had a kind of stylized sexuality to them. Kojima really isn't wrong when he says "Sexy could be for guys, weapons, vehicles..." because that is essentially the look of the MGS series. Dudes in tight leather "stealth suits," Cyborg ninjas that are designed almost entirely out of slender lines and curves, and giant robots that look more like they were bred than built.

I wouldn't call any of those things sexually appealing, but an argument can be made for them being sexy.

Having said that.

Taken on it's own merits, I can't say I'm a big fan of Quiet's design, it's a little too...Lita Ford for my taste.

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
Did anyone remember when Cecile Cosima Caminandes showed up in Peace Walker, wearing pretty much nothing but her underwear? She'd escaped from a prison, where her clothes were taken from her - perhaps as a fanservice thing, but also because her chances of surviving out in the jungle with nary a scrap on her would be pretty much zero (until Big Boss rescued her) and it was a disincentive for her to make a run for it.

I could bet you that it's probably a similar idea here. Quiet could simply have just escaped from torture or something. Is it fanservice? No doubt. Could there be actual, sensible context for her looking that way? Considering Kojima, most likely.

People who dismiss Metal Gear Solid's characters simply because of the sexuality in their design would most likely be those who have no knowledge of their context. The series has had a trend of having characters that should always be taken for more than their face value.

KingmanHighborn

Nov 8, 2010
Am I the only one that read he is making even the vehicles sexy? Cause I just pictured in my mind's eye a very 'female' Metal Gear Ray.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
KingmanHighborn said:
Am I the only one that read he is making even the vehicles sexy? Cause I just pictured in my mind's eye a very 'female' Metal Gear Ray.
I was thinking he meant like how sleek, polished cars look "sexy".
Like what google image gives me when I type in "expensive cars"
I don't fully understand it myself, but I'm not super into cars :/
But I suppose I can see the appeal.

Now that I think about it, I think sexy when describing looks always does point towards a smooth, sleek and/or polished style.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I don't care about MGS, but I'm just going to say that I do believe her outfit is utterly ridiculous.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
While it may seem like he's calling the kettle black, (after that Cortana design, which is nowhere near as bad) I agree with David. Quiet has a lazy design. Okay, she can adapt her skin to camouflage herself, that still doesn't excuse her mass exposure to the natural elements of sunburn and desert night cold. And no one would hear her screams as she suffers from both either.

I'm a big fan of Kojima's work but it is indeed lazy design. As for Bayonetta he's right there too. That game ridiculous and knows its taking the piss out of itself. While Bayonetta has sex appeal, its in a very teasing comedy/parody way. She's attractive and powerfully seductive, but she keeps your mind on the game. Her hairy catsuit is sexy but also kind of weirdly gross and funny. And when her magic attacks has her disrobe, its done in a tasteful non pandering way.

I'm sure none of that stuff stopped cosplayers from creating their Bayonetta outfits, needing to be pushed by Platinum. So we got a great game and a fun character.