Kojima Productions Announces Open World Metal Gear Solid Game

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Running on a PC eh?... can we get a PC release?... and a Snake Eater port too while you're at it?

I love the Deus Ex series because they remind me so much of Metal Gear... can we get a proper Metal Gear release?
[small]Even though, that's all wishful thinking... :([/small]

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
daibakuha said:
RJ 17 said:
I look at MGS games the same way I look at FF games at this point...

"Wait.....they're STILL making these fucking games?"
I really don't understand this attitude from some of you people. Everytime a major MGS game comes out it's a big deal, the story may be bonkers at times, but the gameplay is some of the best the industry has ever produced.
The gameplay is good, the characters are amazing, and it has some great writing (even if the story gets a bit too crazy). But with the cutscenes that last more 15 minutes it feels as if I was watching a movie with a tacked on game. Let's hope they fix that with this game.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Quite the wall of text.

Cid SilverWing said:
*massive moan*

Why can't the franchise just DIE?!
I'm actually pretty happy Solid Snake is finally out of the picture because he is just annoying.

Also, it can't die because it is the only stealth game of its genre that is Metal Gear Solid. The story is horrendous and while there are some neat little points on philosphy in them I can still remember playing Metal Gear Solid 3 and not giving a fuck about any of the philosophical bullshit and more about the amazing sneaking action [if you blew up a communication room in a base, that base can't call for backup, destroy the armory and they will stop having infinite ammo, destroy food storage and they get hungry and stop being masters at finding the sneak] and the fucking amazing spy cut-scenes.

Tay051173096 said:
Iwonder if its open world like the stalker games or deus ex?
My guess would be Deus Ex because doing it on a large scale where you have to constantly sneak I could see would be mighty annoying. Deus Ex had a hub city and then the outskirts were full of baddies which you could kill or sneak by and that fits MGS so much better.

Irridium said:
Cid SilverWing said:
*massive moan*

Because whenever he tries to do something more interesting like a new Zone of Enders game or work on a Silent Hill game like he wants, he gets a bunch of death threats and hate mail from "fans".

And he just wants to make his "fans" happy.

I love the guy, but he really needs to just tell these "fans" to fuck off and do what he wants to do.
I still agree with Yahtzee, if you ever create anything really awesome then you should really be planning on it being the last thing you ever do because of this reason.

Just poor dude.

Azure-Supernova said:
I really hope they keep the recruitment and management that Portable Ops introduced. I've been wanting to see that on a full blown console since I got really involved in Portable Ops +. There's also so much of Big Boss' story left to tell.

Not the recruitment from portable ops. Just fuck that carrying everyone to a truck individually for little benefit. Seriously, try Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker which added the ability to airlift them out of there by simply attaching a balloon to them. It cuts that grind way the fuck down.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
daibakuha said:
RJ 17 said:
I look at MGS games the same way I look at FF games at this point...

"Wait.....they're STILL making these fucking games?"
I really don't understand this attitude from some of you people. Everytime a major MGS game comes out it's a big deal, the story may be bonkers at times, but the gameplay is some of the best the industry has ever produced.
Oh I'm not bashing the gameplay or the story....well, a bit of the story (like how the fuck is Resident Evil still going on? Wesker's fucking dead!), but really I'm just surprised they're still making the games. As for gameplay, what about the new MG game that might as well be called Ninja Metal Gaiden Gear? I'd say at this point it's perfectly valid to say that they're starting to stretch, at least a bit. :p

SuperRobot64

Mar 22, 2010
Covarr said:
I want a 4-player co-op Metal Gear game made by a cooperation between VALV[sup]E[/sup] and Konami. It would be the best game ever and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

P.S. Thanks
You know there is a 4-player co-op Metal Gear right?
It's called Peace Walker.

Timnoldzim

May 19, 2012
When they said "Old Snake", they may have MEANT Big Boss, but misspoke (he is, after all, the "old Snake").

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Sweet.
Guess I finally have a good reason to get into the Metal Gear franchise now.
Cool beans.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
juyunseen said:
Open world? Totally needs to take some mechanics from just cause. Snake + hookshot + infinite parachute = awesome
and a jetpack, don't forget that

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
SuperRobot64 said:
Covarr said:
I want a 4-player co-op Metal Gear game made by a cooperation between VALV[sup]E[/sup] and Konami. It would be the best game ever and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

P.S. Thanks
You know there is a 4-player co-op Metal Gear right?
It's called Peace Walker.
I'm well aware. It's a good game, too. But it's also clear that Konami doesn't have the kind of experience with co-op that VALV[sup]E[/sup] does. It's closer to Call of Duty than Left 4 Dead or Portal 2. It's not just co-op I want, but co-op with help from a company that's mastered the art of multiplayer.

P.S. Thanks

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Cid SilverWing said:
*massive moan*

I think the same thing about the CoD & its clones, but I'm excited for this new take on the world of Metal gear!

Zachary Amaranth said:
shrekfan246 said:
To be completely fair, the fans are pretty much the ones who won't let it die. Look at Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4. Kojima has tried killing the franchise.
He's been more than happy to produce spinoffs and cash-ins time and again. He complains, but he really REALLY likes the money and attention.
Exactly, like I told a friend earlier tonight, Kojima has given up announcing his retirement after each game, because it keeps the lights on in his house. And at konami.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Aprilgold said:
Azure-Supernova said:
I really hope they keep the recruitment and management that Portable Ops introduced. I've been wanting to see that on a full blown console since I got really involved in Portable Ops +. There's also so much of Big Boss' story left to tell.

Not the recruitment from portable ops. Just fuck that carrying everyone to a truck individually for little benefit. Seriously, try Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker which added the ability to airlift them out of there by simply attaching a balloon to them. It cuts that grind way the fuck down.
I said Portable Ops because it introduced the mechanic to the series. Using the Fultons in Peace Walker was a great addition, but being limited to 10-14 recoveries in a single mission didn't sit well with me. Also Portable Ops had box recruiting, whereby you could recover several soldiers at once by bringing them to a team member's box and using the recover codec call.

But either way, my point was that I want the Big Boss story line to continue the recruitment and grow that leads from MSF to Outer Heaven.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Irridium said:
Cid SilverWing said:
*massive moan*

Because whenever he tries to do something more interesting like a new Zone of Enders game or work on a Silent Hill game like he wants, he gets a bunch of death threats and hate mail from "fans".

And he just wants to make his "fans" happy.

I love the guy, but he really needs to just tell these "fans" to fuck off and do what he wants to do.
You mean like how Capcom is doing to DMC and RE6?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
Exactly, like I told a friend earlier tonight, Kojima has given up announcing his retirement after each game, because it keeps the lights on in his house. And at konami.
Hell, he's already implied TWO more MGS games.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Gladion said:
Grey Carter said:
The old style sneaking suit, dated rifle and the Militaires Sans Frontières emblem on the character's shoulder means we might finally get to see what drove Big Boss from likable mercenary to Machiavellian villain.
The ending of Snake Eater already did that perfectly well.

Anyway. Still too excited about Metal Gear Rising :D Can't really focus on another installment already
The ending of Peace Walker did it even better. The tone of Big Boss' voice in that last monologue...had me shivering a bit.