Konami Denies That Kojima Has Left, Says he is "on Vacation"

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Elfgore said:
Really, this is no shock. The fact that Kojima looks like a twenty or thirty year old at fifty is the most shocking thing I learned from this article.
Aging is a curious beast, it seems to visibly slow when the human spends a majority of their time indoors. And I am very willing to believe Kojima has a very intimate relationship with being indoors.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
VoidWanderer said:
So Konami is the kid in class with his fingers in his ears, saying "La La La, I can't hear you."
And eating glue.

And wanking onto the test paper, handing it in, then bursting into tears when the teacher gives them an F.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Japanese corporate culture is a strange beast where lifetime employment is considered the norm. It's considered very embarrassing for a Japanese company to publicly admit one of their employees has left the company, especially a prominent one like Kojima. And outright firing someone is a social taboo and also a lot more restricted under Japanese labor law compared to the US. Admitting you fired someone is even more of an embarrassment. Broadly speaking, retirement is the only acceptable way of leaving a company.

Rather, when they want to get rid of someone, they tend to do things like:

- demote them into dead-end jobs or give them much weirder 'promotions' where they get a fancy new title and position that really doesn't mean anything and they just sit on their ass all day, while the company hopes they'll eventually leave on their own out of boredom/frustration.

- or, indeed, force them to go on vacation until their contract runs out, or they become eligible for early retirement and then try to push them into that.

In any case, what's important is that the employee is still officially on the payroll, even if they're really not doing anything for the company anymore.

gigastar said:
Actually what i heard is that theres a quirk in Japanese law that says someone has to use up all their remaining vacation time before they can officially leave a job.
That also seems quite possible.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Well that is hilarious. I'm also on vacation from the country of Zimbabwe. That vacation has so far lasted all my life. Given everything I have heard, I would be very surprised to see Kojima start new major projects with Konami. I could be wrong but this sounds like bull.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
Just so long as they don't find him floating face down in a swimming pool. Konami execs seem like bunch of idiots, maybe they could help the republicans with their image.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
anthony87 said:
Anyone else think that Kojima looks amazing for a 52 year old man?
The man does not age. I'm convinced he's some form of an immortal being. A perverted, intelligent, awesome artistic immortal.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Amaror said:
Steven Bogos said:
and Konami had been making quite an effort to erase his existence [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141559-Hideo-Kojimas-Name-Erased-From-Box-Art-For-Metal-Gear-Solid-V-The-Phantom-Pain] from the company.
And what a damn fine job they did. It's not like the Text "Kojima Productions" and "A game by Hideo Kojima" comes up before AND AFTER every single mission in the game.
INAL but it maybe it's to avoid possibly getting sued.

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
Why would Konami want to cover up his leaving? What benefit would that give? I'm sorry, I haven't been following this and the last time I played Metal Gear it was on an NES and 2d. Can somebody fill me in? What motivation would Konami have for lying here? If he was leaving wouldn't it just make good business sense to market the game as Kojima's Finale (or whatever)?

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Yesterday, we ran a story from the New Yorker [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142897-Kojima-Leaves-Konami] claiming to have spoken to several inside sources confirming that Hideo Kojima has parted ways with previous employer Konami.
You did, yes. Although for some reason you entitled it "Hideo Kojima Has Officially Left Konami", and followed that by saying "the rumours are true" and that it's "confirmed that Kojima left the Konami offices for the last time on October 9", when what you actually meant was "there are some more rumours claiming that the previous rumours are true". Some people might not consider it the most competent journalism to confuse more rumours with official confirmation of previous rumours.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Actually, it's very likely true.

He's 'on vacation'. Until his contract is up in December. THEN he's gone.

You've never used up your time off when you knew you were leaving a job?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Seriously? Do they think we're stupid?

Oh, wait. I know why Konami has no knowledge of Kojima's farewell party. The bosses didn't show up. How could they know about it? And it wasn't a farewell party. It was a "Have a good vacation party". Those are totally common.

Honestly, thinking about it, it almost makes me wonder if the farewell party wasn't officially planned by Konami and instead something the employees did.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
I am actually inclined to believe that Konami has been living in their own Silent Hill eaque reality for the past year or so and has been perceiving a different reality than we do, everything they say and do gets distorted into some incoherent garbled mess that we cannot comprehend or decipher.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Brian Tams said:
This reminds of parents trying to convince their son that his dog didn't die, that s/he just went to live on a farm somewhere.
Oh... oh dear... has anyone actually seen Kojima recently?

Konami, what have you done?!

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I'm not sure whether to feel offended that they think we're dumb enough to believe that, or pity that they're dumb enough to think we'd believe that.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I bet that Konami keeps drunk-calling Kojima either crying whilst saying how sorry they are for everything and they miss him or angrily tell him that he'll come crawling back and that they were faking it the whole time anyway.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Chimpzy said:
gigastar said:
Actually what i heard is that theres a quirk in Japanese law that says someone has to use up all their remaining vacation time before they can officially leave a job.
That also seems quite possible.

Not unique to japan. They have paid vacation over there and if Kojima doesn't sign it off officially, Konami would have to pay out unused days and overtime. Which this industry is notorious for. And Kojima probably doesn't come cheap.

Note: I'm in germany.
I had a job, where i got a complete month off at the end. Because it was cheaper.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Aeshi said:
I'm not sure whether to feel offended that they think we're dumb enough to believe that, or pity that they're dumb enough to think we'd believe that.
Pretty much. They're either trying to fool us or fool themselves. Either way, it's not working.