Korea Bans Commercial Game Item Trades

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Both bad and good. Bad because it cuts them out of potential profits in new digital markets, good because its common sense to not buy something you can't hold in your own two hands.

Double-edged sword?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
KeyMaster45 said:
and the monetization of item trades is partially responsible for the nation's rising crime rate amongst teenagers.
Actually I imagine that has something to do with them having passed laws that turn any teenager engaging in perfectly normal gaming habits into hardened criminals in the eyes of the law.
Um... I'm pretty sure they mean that kids are turning to robbery and other such already illegal activities in order to pay for said item trades. Not the fact that making the item trades illegal will suddenly make them into criminals.
Right, because making it illegal for teenagers to play online games after midnight didn't cause a sudden jump in teens breaking the law. It's a very vague phrase for them to say, what type of criminal activity have the seen jump that leads them to believe games are the reason? For all I know they could be referring to the general figure. Which since they've recently passed laws that turn kids into criminal just because they're playing after midnight I imagine that figure has gone up accordingly.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Exactly what counts as a "virtual item"? Is the entirety of Steam going to be illegal? After-all, I'm not buying a physical disc, I'm buying a virtual copy of the game. And if we're okay with the sale as long as it's the entire game, what about DLC? Does it also get past the filter as long as said DLC has a level to play on (as to argue that you're buying a level, and not the weapon)? I dunno, this law is a little too vague to really work, imo. Unless they really do mean to ban the entirety of digital distribution.
I would point out that in this specific instance your logic breaks down, because no one anywhere ever has bought a copy of a game directly from steam. Millions have licensed a subscription to a copy of a game from steam , but there is a planet wide gap between the two things.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Strange, I'd think our abundance of free-to-play games would make Korea the last place to implement such a law. Oh well, I'm not complaining because fuck Nexon.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Dexter111 said:
Virtual items cost nothing to make, aren't real and don't obey the laws of scarcity.
The same could arguably be said of most games.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Dexter111 said:
Excludos said:
Dexter111 said:
YES, PLEASE LISTEN TO SOUTH KOREA AND IMPLEMENT PROGRESSIVE LAWS LIKE THIS EVERYONE ELSE!

Sorry for caps, but this is fucking awesome.
Only if you think crippling evolution is awesome. The entire industry is moving towards cheaper games and microtransactions and/or other ways to gain income. Do you really want to go back to stone ages where games cost a fortune, and once you buy it any support for it will shut down after a couple of years? Thanks for your input, but its turned up invalid.
They had already denied Blizzard classification on allegations of Online Gambling in the game, so they had to remove the RMAH from the Korean version of the game to be able to go to market in the first place: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/13/diablo-3-drops-real-money-auction-house-in-south-korea-to-secure-official-classification/

They are progressive when it comes to gaming and their e-sport is bigger than anywhere else. Because of problems in the local gaming culture they can likely gauge needed laws better, and honestly I would hope more western cultures adopt this kind of thing and maybe do something regarding the DLC abuse going on, but most countries have largely just discovered that gaming exists aside from the ?rotting the brain of our children with violence? part of it they were regurgitating for years, they certainly haven?t gotten behind the business culture of pure greed and exploitation that has been developing over the past few years.

I?d at least like to see some lawsuits going around and consumer protection agencies having a more watchful eye over things live I've written here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.378812-Blizzard-gets-in-trouble-with-French-and-German-consumer-protection-agencies

This is no "progress" in any way or form, the greed and exploitative measures of publishers are exactly that, virtual items have no real worth and cost nothing to make and they shouldn't be given any worth.

They are completely right with this and I'm just hoping that more Western countries have the same foresight to pass similar laws:

?The main purpose of the games is for entertainment and should be used for academic and other good purposes,? said Kim Kap-soo, head of the ministry?s content policy division, Wednesday.
By the looks of it, my post went right over your head. Its not greed, its business. A gaming company wants to stay afloat. And they want to keep supporting their games for a longer time. Do you honestly think Team fortress 2 would continiue to get updates even today if valve didn't earn a cent by doing so? Its very simple, if a game starts costing more to keep alive than it does to stop all support for it, you do the latter. Everyone and their dog is looking for ways to do this, and you just flat out deny the progress and call it greed. I don't know about you, but I enjoy games like team fortress 2, dota 2, diablo 3, and other games like -every mmo ever made in the history of ever-!

And those games are entertaining. They wouldn't be if the producers stopped caring for them, and decided to just abandon ship due to no income. You really call that progress? Really?

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Dexter111 said:
MammothBlade said:
GG Korea, nice job shooting yourselves in the foot.

Whether people like it or not, there is a market based on virtual items. If no fraud is involved, then there is no problem. It may well be considered dishonourable by other gamers, but it creates some extra money on the side for those who are not all that well off.
There is no "market" around virtual items, there can only be markets for things that are worth something.

Virtual items cost nothing to make, aren't real and don't obey the laws of scarcity.

There's just big greedy/exploitative companies that set drop rates incredibly low and make their games about grind and stupid people that buy into that.

This is absolutely the appropriate response to that.
Just because an item excists of 1s and 0s doesn't mean its 1. isn't real 2. doesn't take time to make, and most importantly 3. doens't have an ownership. As long as you own something, it can be traded. Theres a market for "ideas", why shouldn't there be a market for virtual items?

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Dexter111 said:
MammothBlade said:
GG Korea, nice job shooting yourselves in the foot.

Whether people like it or not, there is a market based on virtual items. If no fraud is involved, then there is no problem. It may well be considered dishonourable by other gamers, but it creates some extra money on the side for those who are not all that well off.
There is no "market" around virtual items, there can only be markets for things that are worth something.

There's just big greedy/exploitative companies that set drop rates incredibly low and make their games about grind and stupid people that buy into that.

This is absolutely the appropriate response to that.
Wrong. They cost man-hours in terms of the amount of grinding players have to put into a game to acquire them. Some players aren't willing to put that much time in, but they want said items, so they pay other players to get said virtual items for them. They are as scarce as the amount of labour put into acquiring them.

And by your logic, the internet shouldn't exist, except as a medium for communication and online retail, because as you say, there can't be a market for anything virtual, games or otherwise.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Aeshi said:
Dexter111 said:
The same could arguably be said of most games.
You forgot movies, books, newspapers, magazines, TV etc

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Grey Carter said:
According to The Korea Times, the Ministry of Culture Sports and Tourism is planning to introduce legislation which will render all commercial virtual item trades illegal. Under the new law, which will be announced next month, gamers caught trading items for cash (or vice versa) could face a maximum 50 million won fine (approximately US$42,848) and a not-unreasonable-at-all five year jail term.

The law also prohibits MMO players from using programs that play games and collect items automatically. According to the ministry, items acquired by bots make up over 60 percent of all items traded in the country, and the monetization of item trades is partially responsible for the nation's rising crime rate amongst teenagers. If the finalized law doesn't feature any exemptions, it will likely cripple the country's MMO industry. An overwhelming majority of Korean MMOs are free-to-play titles which depend on virtual item sales to turn a profit.
That doesn't follow from the previous statements at all, unless you have more information than was in that Korea Times story. It doesn't say that the developers/publishers themselves will be restricted from selling in-game items, it says that players or third-party distributors selling items is prohibited. Which makes sense, because that's the gambling part. A game's store sells items at a fixed price, while player-to-player trades will lead to speculation. Most MMOs prohibit you from giving an item without receiving something in return, to prevent wholesale theft and people getting ripped off. That's why they're targeting trades. You're not trading with the game maker itself, except in the most basic sense that you're "trading" money for a product (most people call that buying).

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Korea says, "Oh no, people want to spend money on things they want in games. We can't have people spending their money how they want!"

Frostbite3789 said:
redmarine said:
I've personally never been very fond of the idea of buying digital items for actual currency. I welcome this change.
So...you're not very fond of buying video games?
Or...you can buy something in a store called a video game, that is in a case on disc and can be popped into a CD/DVD drive to play.

I never buy digital unless it is the only option.

And if you have a good free to play model game, with a little work, micro-transaction items can be purchased with in game currency that can accumulated through playing the game.

Star Trek Online is a good example of that. Dilithium can be earned in game doing many different missions and tasks, then dilithium can be used to by Cryptic points on the dilithium exchange, and vice-verse(because some in game items can be bought with dilithium), then those Cryptic points can be used to buy items in the STO micro-transaction store. The dilithium exchange fluctuates between 100 minimum dilithium for 1 Cryptic point and 500 max for 1 C point. Right now the market is rather steady around 310 to 315.

Now, dilithium must be refined before it can be used, and the refinement limit is 8,000 dil a day. So with the market the way it is, with an hour and a half or so of gameplay doing various things to get 8,000 dil, it comes to around 25 or so Cryptic points a day. For example, the cheapest ships sold for only Cryptic points is 400. So with the prices the way they are now, it would take 16 days of one and a half hours or so play a day to get the points for the ship. Now I believe the most expensive for points ships are around 2000 points, it would take 80 days to earn the points needed. That means that stuff like that can be done without real money changing hands, but it will take some long and dedicated play.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Dexter111 said:
On the random item thing, and spending money to get the item.

It relates to what is happening to Cryptic Studios', Star Trek Online. You see, Cryptic Studios was bought-out by free to play MMO company Perfect World, which I believe is an Asian company.

Since that happened STO, has gone f2p, and has been filled with micro-transaction items. My example comes from this: They started a thing where every so often, a "lock box" is dropped as loot in game. The only way to unlock the boxes is to get a "master key". Such keys can only be purchased through the Cryptic store and at a price of 100 Cryptic points per key. Said keys only open one box and are gone, so you have to buy a key per lock box. 100 C points is basically around 1 dollar real money.

The catch is that the item that comes from the lock box is random. You could get a relatively worthless time-limited power up, one or to pieces of a special in game currency that can be used to buy items at a special vendor(granted that the best items cost over 100 pieces or more), a special uniform set(I got a special DS9 uniform set, when I used a free key form a one time promotion), or you could get an ultra rare ship requisition that will get you the special ship that is exclusive to that lock box type. Example: The Cardassian lock boxes could have a Galor class cruiser in it. The latest thing is the Ferengi lock boxes which could have a D'Kora class cruiser.

The whole situation is very annoying, since these lock boxes drop so frequently, they add up and take up a lot of space. In two weeks of play, about an hour or two a day, I had accumulated 200 Ferengi lock boxes. Of course I could sell them in the exchange market, but since there are so many being dropped, I could put twenty on the exchange for only 1 credit and get no buyers.

Now with a bit of work, I can take four days to earn the dilitium in game needed to exchange into 100 Cyptic points to buy one key. So technically I can get lock box keys free, but that is free without money, it isn't free when it comes to time spent to get those points to get keys.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
while i think its excessive to completely out law real $$ v-items

I do agree laws restricting them need to exist

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Excludos said:
Dexter111 said:
YES, PLEASE LISTEN TO SOUTH KOREA AND IMPLEMENT PROGRESSIVE LAWS LIKE THIS EVERYONE ELSE!

Only if you think crippling evolution is awesome. The entire industry is moving towards cheaper games and microtransactions and/or other ways to gain income. Do you really want to go back to stone ages where games cost a fortune, and once you buy it any support for it will shut down after a couple of years? Thanks for your input, but its turned up invalid.
What? Being able to pay once for a game and enjoy the full experience is suddenly the "Stone Age" and undesirable?

If being nickle-and-dimed to spend an arbitrary, often higher than the game's value, amount of money on a game to fully enjoy all of its content is the future, I'm glad to be living in your "Stone Age"

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Scow2 said:
Excludos said:
Dexter111 said:

What? Being able to pay once for a game and enjoy the full experience is suddenly the "Stone Age" and undesirable?

If being nickle-and-dimed to spend an arbitrary, often higher than the game's value, amount of money on a game to fully enjoy all of its content is the future, I'm glad to be living in your "Stone Age"
Paying once for a game to enjoy the full experience is desirably in singleplayer games. The reason this model is stoneage is because, unlike 20 years ago, a lot of games are not singleplayer anymore. That pluss the fact that games are expensive. If you have a fulltime job as a grownup, you might not be able to see this problem. The students does.

And pleeeease answer with "but video games is a luxury", so I can link you this awesome video from Jimquisition ;)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5709-Videogames-Are-A-Luxury

And thats only one part of the problem. The other part is, like I stated above, that games these days needs to last longer. The games need to be updates and servers needs to be payed for. Years after a game have been released, the publishers needs a reason to keep the servers alive, and "but everyone thinks its good" is not good enough for a business that have an end of the year goal to meet. If the game isn't generating income, all support for it will be pulled. So tell me again why you think its bad that you can now pick up a game for free, and other people who can afford costum skins and fancy nametags, helps you and the publishers keep it alive?