Korea Sets Curfew for Underage Gamers

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
SteelStallion said:
They aren't close to comparable, and I can tell you that from experience, my little brother was incredibly awkward socially, and it's because he was s a shut in that played video games all the time. When we spent a summer at my cousins in the suburbs, he had nothing else to do but come outside with us and play ball. He made a few friends, became more comfortable talking to people and came out after the summer a better person in general, so much that he overcame a lot of problems he had at school the following year.
I would offer a counter-experience: My own brother. We were a military family when he was born, and so we moved around a lot. By the time I was born most of that was over, but it had left marks on him. He'd gotten so used to making and losing friends over a matter of months that he just sort of shut people out. He tried to open back up when we finally settled down, but everyone pretty much rejected him around here. He even tried sports specifically, since he was pretty decent at most of them, but that really only brought his social status to "barely tolerated", and he knew it. He came to hate people in general. He turned to playing games with me and my dad because it's the only place he felt like he fit.

Over the years, he connected to other people who played games in the area. He made friends through it, and started to overcome his hatred of people. He's far from perfect these days, but video games gave him friends. They gave him a wife, who never would have met him if they hadn't met over an online game. Honestly, I think they are partially responsible for giving him his life. If he hadn't had something to turn to, I'm not sure what he would have done. I was too young to help him, and my dad had his own baggage that has a tendency from putting forth as much effort as he wants to to help people. So don't tell me video games are harmful. They gave me my brother back, even though he was for years what the South Korean government would describe as an obsessive gamer.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Archangel357 said:
Parental consent really isn't of any importance here. Even if you allow your 10 year old to smoke and drink, it's still illegal. And I do find it very reasonable, especially since Korea places a rather higher importance on education than us Westerners do (the lucky bastards).

Personally, I think that this is a great idea.
I for one am not partial to the state interfering in how parents raise their kids, so long as no abuse is going on. And surely you would not equate letting your 14 year old son play World of Warcraft until 00.45 AM on Fridays with giving a 10 year old vodka?

And even if I actually supported such legislation telling people kids to not game after midnight (whereas watching movies are all right???), the utter inability to actually enforce it would prevent me from naming it a "great idea"; more something for youths to spit in the face by late night gaming sessions in the months after it's passed, then forget about completely as they get used to creating MMO accounts making them out to be 33 (with all the adult advertising etc. that entail).

Blind Big Brother legislation is a failure on every front as far as I'm concerned.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Archangel357 said:
First, Koreans do not subscribe to the same notions of individual liberty as Europeans, let alone Americans. Theirs is a history of collectivism and public service. Therefore, people are far more likely to accept legislation because it is the law. Koreans barely jaywalk, for crying out loud, and drug use among adolescents is minimal (which may explain this particular addiction).
This hardly precludes others from viewing and criticising it based in their own set of values. I was never a fan of ethical relativism, and consequently value the individual liberty of each human even when they - or some of them, for there will always be exceptions - do not do so themselves. A small minority is bound to value their individual liberties, and my thoughts are with them, just as they would be with minorities such as the gay community (t)here, who are also the only ones to truly value the ability to sleep with the same sex unpunished.

Majority dictatorship does not become any more justifiable just because the majority is larger and have a long history of being the majority.

I am the first one to agree with the notion that passing unenforceable laws erodes authority - in OUR societies. In a country where Confucianism is very much alive and you address your elders with honorifics, it's a different story. Not to mention that with such attitudes towards authority v individualism, privacy laws there are rather different than they are here. I'm no expert on the Korean legal system, but I wouldn't be surprised if this actually COULD be enforced.
Which sounds exceedingly horrible and authoritarian to me; and probably to a fair few of the younger Koreans whom it affects as well.

Next, education is EVERYTHING in Korea. For centuries, Korea has been a meritocracy - your education level determines your entire life. So yeah, something that keeps kids from learning, to Koreans, may very well be as bad or worse than giving them otherwise legal intoxicating substances is considered in America, for one. Bavarian fathers take their sons to the pub when they're 12, and Italians let their 10 year old daughters drink diluted wine at the dinner table. Again: values are hardly ever universal. What appears shocking to Americans may be normal somewhere else, and what is no big deal to Americans may be considered offensive in another country.
No values are not universal, nor do they stay the same for each generation. It is quite clear that if the youth of Korea prefer to sometimes relax with an MMO, then their view on education - and possibly authority - is obviously not as rigid as that of their elders; Yet it is they who are oppressed by it and forced into it.

Thus we shift from the notion of an entirely united population all voluntarily rallying around its old culture, to one demographic forcing it down the throat of another with different priorities; In a way they should certainly have no right to in my book, at least not outside the immediate parent/child relationship.

Third, apples and oranges. There isn't an endemic addiction to late-night movie watching in Korea which is causing kids' grades to plummet and fucking up the general education level.
Not now, but something's going to replace the video games, and I'm guessing it's not going to be sleep or studying (unless the parents step in and say so, but if they had that kind of priority, authority, and spine, then a law would never have been drafted up in the first place).

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
I think LeenockfOu is old enough for this to not apply! the kid needs all the practice to get back into code A >.<

poor kid getting booted from televised GSL :(

mercr452

Jan 17, 2011
Living here in Korea now and it's my observation that the parents have absolutely no clue what their kids do. The workloads that the parents force on their children is just ridiculous. Korean kids usually go to 5 to 7 hagwons (study schools) after their normal school ends.

Usually they ditch and either wander around the shopping areas of Seoul or are in PC cafes. Also, these study schools lie to the parents about how the kids are doing to please the parents' egos. (I used to teach at one of these study schools, and I was told to make glowing reports for the kids even if they were absolutely awful.)

I doubt that this ban will have any practical effect. Most kids I talked to were not addicted (3 day gaming sessions), they were stressed and wanted to have some fun. The addicted gamers will find a way to play.

And for those wondering about online registration in Korea, you need to input a citizen ID number (think social security number), which can only be used once per game. You cannot have 2 accounts with the same ID number. Oh, and Korea uses A LOT OF ACTIVEX. I HATE activex.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
Lucane said:
Realitycrash said:
Well, on a Swedish-keyboard, you press the button next to the question-mark button, which is next to digit number 0, just before you press E.
Curses, different keyboard set-up I''ll just have to look it up else where Thanks though.
On a Mac you can to Alt+E