Korean Otaku Marries Anime Body Pillow

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Dammit people. STOP BEING SO PATHETIC! Marrying your pillow case isn't cool. That's the type of thing which would put you in a looney bin about 10 years ago.

TazTheTerrible

Feb 20, 2010
Ahahahahahahaaaa! XD

Oh man. Ohhhh man that's good.

Ok, calming down a bit... I have to wonder... what are the legal benefits of marrying a pillow?

I mean seriously why?

azazellee

Feb 22, 2010
I think Fate Testarossa is only using him to gain South Korean citizenship.

Couldn't find any info on whether this could actually be legal over there or not. I would assume there is nothing legally binding about it, although nothing coming from Korea these days would shock me.

But I did find a story about a robot that officiated a wedding there.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
what I wanna know is how this guy gets around copyright/trademarks. After all the character would be a TM of the company, and by marrying it hes saying that its his....
That aside, thats just strange, idk how some people survive as long as they do.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Azazellee said:
I think Fate Testarossa is only using him to gain South Korean citizenship.
Absolutely hilarious, I'll include you in the prayers I never say before I go to bed. No, I'm serious, I'll do that this once!

brtshstel

Dec 16, 2008
Well, at least it's white and won't show the stains he makes from the honeymoon.

Seriously, a pillow? This is so...strange...that the most epic facepalm ever devised won't do this any justice.

Caprice0083

Jun 24, 2009
DAMMIT MAN, KOREA HAS SOME BEAUTIFUL WOMEN, EVEN OTAKU WOMEN! WTF, WHY SUB FOR THE REAL THING WITH A PILLOW!!!!??????

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
Why is it always the Asians?
The pressure thats kept on them from an early age on is much higher, it's only natural that a few snap, i guess.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
brtshstel said:
Well, at least it's white and won't show the stains he makes from the honeymoon.

Seriously, a pillow? This is so...strange...that the most epic facepalm ever devised won't do this any justice.
he could have marrieds a sex pillow (yes those exist and yes I am ashamed of knowing of its existecne)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have some concerns about this on a lot of levels to be honest. To be frank I think the guy is just out for attention (as was the video game dude) and got his five minutes of fame. Also it's been unclear if the goverment has so far recognized these unions, or if it was just a ceremony, and/if there are american-style marital benefits attached.

That said, I think it establishes a bad precedent. Whether people like it or not I *DO* believe that society needs to follow certain rules to work. I think that marriage and such is a fundemental part of our societal structure that needs to be closely watched and maintained in a general sense.

I look at the entire "gay marriage debate" (which I am not going to re-open seriously) and how people have defended it over a period of time by saying "well hey, it's not like people are going to start marrying animals" and poking fun at such alleged concerns. It is rapidly getting to the point though that we're seeing things moving in that kind of a direction one step at a time. If some guy can marry a pillow, or a non-existant virtual character, why can't he marry another possesion like an animal? We haven't gotten there yet, but this is why this kind of thing is a slippery slope, and one where all jokes aside I think clear lines should be drawn.

Where should that line be drawn? Before people immediatly jump on me and start saying there shouldn't be one at all, consider for example that some guy steals something of yours like a pet, computer, car, or whatever and gets some whack job to marry him to it when such things are recognized. "I'm not a thief, me and his Lamborgini were in love with each other, I didn't steal his car... I eloped with it, and have a marriage certificate to prove it!". Absurd? Well no more absurd in proportion to current situations than the current situations were to say the marriage conventions of 20 years ago before such issues began to become a political aspect in society. Even saying the above should still be theft does ultimatly present a "line" and I think it should be quite a bit further back than that.

I don't think we're quite to the point of seriously discussing robots and AIs, and VIs, but I think that kind of a situation won't be as big a deal as many think when it arrives some day. Mainly because I for one think the whole "robot/machine/AI revolt" schtick is simply paranoid techno-phobia. This gets well off subject and into a whole differant line of reasoning.

I guess overall is what I'm saying is that seeing as we've seen this kind of thing (in the article) twice now, it's rapidly going from being a funny stunt, to outright disturbing. What's more people are going to crave more attention and keep pushing it.

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
Well, life's officially doomed to nerdiness. If you excuse me im going to go and live with the fishes.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Therumancer said:
I have some concerns about this on a lot of levels to be honest. To be frank I think the guy is just out for attention (as was the video game dude) and got his five minutes of fame. Also it's been unclear if the goverment has so far recognized these unions, or if it was just a ceremony, and/if there are american-style marital benefits attached.

That said, I think it establishes a bad precedent. Whether people like it or not I *DO* believe that society needs to follow certain rules to work. I think that marriage and such is a fundemental part of our societal structure that needs to be closely watched and maintained in a general sense.

I look at the entire "gay marriage debate" (which I am not going to re-open seriously) and how people have defended it over a period of time by saying "well hey, it's not like people are going to start marrying animals" and poking fun at such alleged concerns. It is rapidly getting to the point though that we're seeing things moving in that kind of a direction one step at a time. If some guy can marry a pillow, or a non-existant virtual character, why can't he marry another possesion like an animal? We haven't gotten there yet, but this is why this kind of thing is a slippery slope, and one where all jokes aside I think clear lines should be drawn.

Where should that line be drawn? Before people immediatly jump on me and start saying there shouldn't be one at all, consider for example that some guy steals something of yours like a pet, computer, car, or whatever and gets some whack job to marry him to it when such things are recognized. "I'm not a thief, me and his Lamborgini were in love with each other, I didn't steal his car... I eloped with it, and have a marriage certificate to prove it!". Absurd? Well no more absurd in proportion to current situations than the current situations were to say the marriage conventions of 20 years ago before such issues began to become a political aspect in society. Even saying the above should still be theft does ultimatly present a "line" and I think it should be quite a bit further back than that.

I don't think we're quite to the point of seriously discussing robots and AIs, and VIs, but I think that kind of a situation won't be as big a deal as many think when it arrives some day. Mainly because I for one think the whole "robot/machine/AI revolt" schtick is simply paranoid techno-phobia. This gets well off subject and into a whole differant line of reasoning.

I guess overall is what I'm saying is that seeing as we've seen this kind of thing (in the article) twice now, it's rapidly going from being a funny stunt, to outright disturbing. What's more people are going to crave more attention and keep pushing it.
Yes, presumably both the bride and groom must be capable of signing for the marriage certificate (exceptions made for physical handicaps such deformities, amputations etc.); which I thought was the case anyway.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
What does her parents think about all this... not his parents, I'm sure his parents are ether really supportive of their son or deeply, deeply disappointed.

I'm just really curious about her parents, the artists that created the character, think about their daughter getting married off to some guy who's sexual orientation towards soft, plush, woven fibers is really... rather quite confusing.

On the other hand, pillows are rather cozy. (Though rather cold.)

BellatrixLestrange

Mar 9, 2010
This is the exception rather than the rule amongst Asians. I'm Asian and I like only real humans. My roommate's also Asian and she was rather shocked to see this.

The reason why Asians in Japan and Korea have the worst issues with virtual reality, ie marrying games and pillows, is that we happen to have the best games and animes, or things related to graphic and virtual technologies, there. The graphics and toys and things with graphics printed on them is always made in far more exquisite detail than it is elsewhere in teh world.

Also, having a higher population means that we would have a higher nerd population.

I'm sure we would see more of this in other places, ie the US or Europe, if these places offered the same quality of graphics in their entertainment. It's often easier for the socially awkward to escape into an imaginary, beautiful world filled with characters that are far more gorgeous than real people.

And the guy has just ruined his social life. I'm sure my parents would be very disappointed if they caught me dating someone who isn't real.

I'll have to admit that stuff related to these virtual things is a large problem amongst Asians, as I know people who dropped out of middle school or lost their chances of getting into college because of their gaming addictions (and still do nothing except for play computer games 24/7).

Still proud to be Asian, but not proud of these geeks.