Kotick Admits Activision's Spider-Man Games "Sucked"

persona J

May 25, 2009
WHAT! spidy 2 was one of the best games of that generation and best super hero game before arkham asylum.

Fists

Apr 16, 2009
So he really is satan, "The greatest trick that the devil pulled on mankind was convincing them he doesnt exsist" or something. While it is a move in the right direction, towards producing quality rather than quantity, its due to market pressures not noble ideals. Flooding the 'casual' market with poorley made games isnt sustainable so they have to reign those plans in and release blockbuster games with at least one superb aspect (gameplay, story, multiplayer etc)

PhunkyPhazon said:
What? Who the hell is this asswipe and why haven't I heard of him? (I haven't been following Activision-related news lately) First things first, on a personal note, I loved all those games. Friend or Foe was kid oriented, but it got the job done considering the audience.
That's his (or everyone else's more like) point, why should kids and superhero fans be given fanservice games with subpar gameplay etc. Dont they deserve the best game that can be made with the concept?

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Wait a minute...
Ultimate Spider-Man was a pretty good game...
It wasn't shackled to a movie's plot. Spider-man/Peter Parker was an interesting and dynamic character through the whole thing. The combat was decent, the missions were slightly less decent. Hmm... okay, some of the boss fights were a little samey. But the web-swinging mechanics were fucking great!

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
ahlycks said:
Insanum said:
I liked Spiderman two, But i forever hate the words;

"OH NO, MY BAWOOON"[/I]

*twitch*
oh man i had just forgotten about that. i only got the balloon once, and it was the least satisfying good deed i have ever done in a game.
I once got the hang of the bawoon, and felt pretty good in a
"DONE, *****!

...PEACE"
kind of way.

fuck this guy for saying that game wasn't awesome.
because it frickin' was.
If spidy3 focused on shocker, illusionist/martian guy and black cat, (the plot padders in the game) that would have been great.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Insanum said:
"OH NO, MY BAWOOON"[/I]
*twitch*
Why'd you have to go and do that? I was sitting here, having fond memories of the game, and then you brought that up... Gaaaahhhhhh!

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Granted, Bobby's said one or two off-kilter things, but there's been a lot of true (though badly-put) things he's said since he was installed as ActiBlizz's CEO. The whole "pessimism and fear" thing, for instance, was an attempt by him to state that people shouldn't think that they were in a recession-proof industry: and look what's happened a few months later. Layoffs and studios closing their doors.

Attempting to treat game-making as more of a business may or may not be a smart move, but people don't seem to be willing to give him a chance. With comments like this, it's obvious that he does care about the quality of the products he's pushing: sure, it may be from a business standpoint (bad games don't sell well) but the end result will be the same... at least, hopefully.

Randvek

Jan 5, 2010
I picked up Web of Shadows brand new at Best Buy for $15. I won't be running down the streets yelling about how great the game is, but for $15 new, it was well worth the investment.

LordGarbageMan

Jul 24, 2009
Insanum said:
I liked Spiderman two, But i forever hate the words;

"OH NO, MY BAWOOON"[/I]

*twitch*
Haha I would just ignore all the missions until I got lucky enough to get a gang war. Or maybe those weren't random. I don't really remember.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Fists said:
PhunkyPhazon said:
What? Who the hell is this asswipe and why haven't I heard of him? (I haven't been following Activision-related news lately) First things first, on a personal note, I loved all those games. Friend or Foe was kid oriented, but it got the job done considering the audience.
That's his (or everyone else's more like) point, why should kids and superhero fans be given fanservice games with subpar gameplay etc. Dont they deserve the best game that can be made with the concept?
Perhaps, yet at the same time I am able to see it from a more business-like view as well. If you're going to make a game intended solely for kids, then why spend thousands of dollars on impressing an audience that wouldn't even notice all the extra bells and whistles?

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Hey now, Wdeb of Shadows was awesome. C'mon... you can't beat Spidey doing fucking windmills on the fucking side of the fucking Empire State Building!

On topic, I don't know too much about Kotick, but it seems he's a bit of a necessary evil in gaming, kinda like what people like Lil' Wayne is to rap music; he's around mostly to balance things out. Constantly hearing about how this guy is nothing short of tool makes appreciating the humble big wigs in gaming that much sweeter. I can still understand all the "who the hell is this?!" reactions amongst others though.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I hate him less, but at the same time I have some respect for him. He'd be right to say that the Spiderman games are sucking, but couldn't he say the same thing for the Hero titles? Or for that matter, Call of Duty or Tony Hawk?

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
[blockquote]Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, Spider-Man 3, Spider-Man: Friend or Foe, Spider-Man: Battle for New York, and Ultimate Spider-Man. (If you count from 2009 or 2010, this might also include 2004's Spider-Man 2, as well)[/blockquote]

Ultimate Spider Man was fine, so was Web of Shadows, and Friend or Foe. But the ones that he'd have legit reasons for putting on that list would have to be Spiderman 3, and Battle for New York. If anything, I wonder if he even played these games. That or he's just comparing them to Spiderman 2.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
What?

Web of Shadows is/was a great game, i'm still playing it now.

I'm jonesing for a new one though, and the game did have it's faults. SO GET BACK TO WORK BOBBY.

CD-R said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I think that one moment of clarity from Ko-dick doesn't make up for treating his target customers like cattle. Or his staff.
Or for suing Double Fine in an attempt to block the release of Brutal Legend. I'll never forgive him for his attempts to stop the metal.

To be fair, as much as I loved Brutal Legend, I can't blame Activision for not publishing the game. Sueing to stop it was a bit wierd but probably the work of over zealous lawyers. But not publishing it? Well, lets face it. Brutal Legend was a good experiance, but not a good game.
With Web of Shadow's developer being closed down, well, that seems pretty unlikely, unless a developer like say, Radical steps in to bring a Spider-Man game as great as Prototype.

But really, couldn't saying that Brutal Legend was a good experience but not a good game, be applicable for other games? Modern Warfare 2 springs to mind. Awesome multiplayer game with a so-so campaign, but good game? Well, depends on perspective really. It's flawed, but it was a great experience in the end, right?

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
The only thing that truely bugged me in Web of Shadows was the horrible voice acting, for spiderman specificly, and that final boss battle was quite weird.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
John Funk said:
Wait, what does StarCraft II from one developer have to do with another developer making another game in an entirely different franchise?
Since Activision and Blizzard are merged and Blizzard develops Starcraft, I would say it has an immediate effect upon the quality of other games like Spiderman.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Well I ain't going to start thinking differently of him just yet. After all the twit has intentions on continuing DJ Hero.
Caliostro said:
...This feels a bit like watching a KKK member saying how much he loves and respects black people, especially their culture...
Wrong anology. This is more like a slaveowner saying how he should follow his neighbor's practice of not crippling some of the slaves so to actually get more done.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Holy fucking moley some CEO finally gets it. They finally understand. Sure a quick cash in is great for quick cash. That is where it ends though. If you make crap games because they are quick and easy you will get quick easy money. If you make take a bit more time and make great games then you stand to increase your fanbase and make bigger solid cash. I just hope he is a man of his word.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
He's still a fucking douchebag. If he died tomorrow I would be happier.

Remember, this is the guy who claims he wants to "Take all the fun out of making a video game." I'm sure he's a real good guy.

_Nocturnal

Nov 4, 2006
Web of Shadows was an absolute piece of shit.
They had some good ideas but they killed every single one of them.
And then they proceeded killing some of the things that made previous games great.

Your web didn't attach to buildings like in all the other games except the first one (but that was something quite different). Instead, it could attach to thin air. The guys before managed to take a fantasy and make it work, these guys broke it. You could climb up your web and see the other end just hanging there from the sky, damn it!
The fighting system... I don't even want to get into.
Spidey's voice: awful.
The script: unbearably bad. And they had such a great premise!