Kotick Itching to Sell Cutscenes As Films

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Questions of greedy publisher executives aside, this is kind of silly.

If you just take the cutscenes out of a game, you'll end up with an extremely disjointed narrative.

Plus, why would I pay for a bunch of cutscenes that (a) I can already view at any time and (b) are going to be freely available on the net?

Mar 16, 2009
Dear God, Metal Gear Solid 4 would be about ten minutes of gameplay!

^ Mortons4ck has said about everything I could on the subject.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
This is so hilarous. Bobby Kotick gains some respect by saying he won't put advertising in games and then immediately destroys that respect by trying to make gamers pay for cutscenes they can just download on youtube.

Well done Kotick, not many people can gain and loose respect like this.

KarumaK

Sep 24, 2008
My god, it's... it's like the man is comprised entirely of pure business.

What has been unleashed upon is is madness my friends, money making madness.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
So it would just be the cutscenes? StarCraft 2 has a way to just view them in game after you've seen them. Why not pay the $20-$30 more for the actual game? It'd be cool if they took some of the cutscenes and y'know, actually added to them and made full length movies. Then again you can't charge as much for that and it would cost far more.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
got my pretty Cutscens from StarCraft 2 on a DVD + behind the scenes footage :D StarCraft 2 Collecters Edition <3

tho it dosent surprise me its the CEO of Activision and not Blizzard... Activision you greedy wankers !

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
"... you'd have the biggest opening weekend of any film ever"

Speaking as someone who has never played any of the Starcraft games I can say that it might be interesting to see just the story. On TV. For free. When nothing beter is on.

Can't imagine anyone that's already seen it would want to pay for it again.

But I guess that's where the credit card and direct relationship comes from.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
I'd actually like to see a Starcraft Movie in the Quality of Blizzard's CGI (!) Cutscenes.

...But the problem is, it has to be a movie.

Cutscenes do not make a movie...at best, they make up parts of a movie.

I've seen a story summary of Starcraft 1 recently on Youtube, and most of the time i was shown Mission Briefings and In-Mission Dialogue. The Cutscenes didn't even told HALF of the Story.

Also, if i see a "Cutscene Movie", i want real pre-rendered CGI Cutscenes, not Ingame Cutscenes.

I don't care that they look kinda good on Starcraft 2, it's not enough to make a movie out of it.

HuntrRose

Apr 28, 2009
If by taking cutscenes out, he means ruining the story of games and makeing a movie full of holes where game play should be he is made of fail. If on the other hand, he is talking about making a movie to complement the story of the game using the same technology and visual style as the games cutscenes, he might actually have a decent idea. It could give the teams making the cutscenes more freedom to play around as well as more revenue for the companies. And if he wasn't a greedy f**k that money could go back inot new projects, or finance pricecuts on games for us...
Oh well...

Oliver Pink

Apr 3, 2010
Pretty much the Only company I'd pay to watch a movie from is Valve.

Now those guys know how to make a good movie:

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Or he could get money with a similar and less hate earning method. Game movies USING the same way cutscenes are done. Imagine if the Hitman movie was like a 2 hour cutscene from Blood Money? Agent 47 looking the same, sounding the same, and made by the game developers instead of being ruined by Hollywood.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
As long as you know I don't have to start buying my cutscenes separate from the game, no biggie for me. As for your greed Mr. Kotick, you should burn.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Could someone clarify what Clownick means?

Does he mean: The games will be as before, but we will sell the cinematics by themselves in addition to the regular game? If so, why the hell not? I'm not stupid enough to pay for something like that, but I'm sure there are many who are.

Or does he mean: Games will be just games with all the cinematics deleted, that you must buy in addition to buying the game to get the whole story? If so...my god....there really is no bounds...DIAF Bobby.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
This seriously has no chance of working. You can't just take out cutscenes from the middle of a story and sell them separately. Both products end up failing; the game feels like a bunch of disconnected levels with no common thread between them, and the movie feels like it's missing key sequences.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
The only people who'd be interested are fans of the game. Who already own the game and therefore have the complete experience.

I don't see this half-baked plan taking off, Bobby. Maybe you should take a time-out for a while.

May 5, 2010
OK, I'm sure by now this page has been flooded with quite dramatic posts talking about greed, stupidity, the evil nature of Activision/Kotick, and maybe even the decline of videogames. But what those people are forgetting is that you don't have to buy it. It's not like if you don't buy the cutscene movie, you miss a part of the game. He's not forcing people to pay extra for anything, he's not taking away from videogames, he's not forcing you to buy it for a completer(Wait, that's a word?.....WHAT?) experience. He's merely providing a stupid package for stupid people to buy so that they can claim themselves as bigger fans of "Franchise A" then the guy across the street. It's nothing new, and companies that make just about anything and everything have been doing it for decades.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Clearly Kotick doesn't understand that a game's narrative is not told by cutscenes alone. Most games' cutscenes viewed by themselves would not make a coherent narrative at all. You'd have to show the actual gameplay bits as well. Then you might as well be playing the game. Duh.

This is a silly idea.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
It seems like Bobby's trying his hardest to win a certain game, but no matter how hard he tries he just keeps on turning a profit. It must be awful spending years of your life trying to kill your corporation, only to repeatedly do well; maybe the extra points you get for a PR victory just aren't worth it.

Either way: my heart goes out to the poor, fabulously wealthy Bobby Kotick. Hope you fail soon, you poor chronic money-maker.