Kotick Itching to Sell Cutscenes As Films

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I just fear this is one of the main problems with the world in general, and of course the reason we're currently in a worldwide financial disaster.

There's some people who see the few hundred million ActiBlizz are pulling in each year and going 'You know that's just not enough profit for me, how can I gamble everything we stand for on squeezing a few more bucks out of this?'

For me as a WOW player, the celestial steed, the race and faction changes, all vastly overpriced in my opinion, but all optional. Go for it if you'd like to.

However, the moment they step over the line and make it necessary to buy extra stuff in a game we've bought and then are also paying monthly for, and we need to pay a third time, I think they'll see some big numbers declining.

As for this idea. No.

However, if the upcoming Warcraft movie had been of the quality of the WOW cinematics, and then voiced by some A listers or at least professionals (either the ones who do the in game stuff or some quality voice actors from outside, I'm not knocking the in game voice artists), then I'd buy that for a dollar...or twenty.

As it is I'll still go watch that when it comes out, but damn, as a cinematics style movie, it could have done EVERYTHING, with no weaknesses in CGI, makeup etc, no difficulties in portraying orcs, trolls, gnomes etc.

individual11

Sep 6, 2010
Why is he deliberately and purposefully trying to antagonize and alienate his customers? Is he trying to create another mid 80s collapse for the video game industry?
How long before the customer turns around and says "Fuck You, I Won't Buy What You Sell Me!"
How long?
...Not long.
Kotick is a Mad Dog. Mad Dogs need to be put down.
Does anyone have Sam Fisher or Agent 47 on speed dial?
Goddamnit, I don't want an arsehole like Nodick as the corrupt usurper overlord of all interactive entertainment...

...and you KNOW he'll somehow make you buy your cutscenes separate from the game.

Last Bullet

Apr 28, 2010
Oliver Pink said:
Pretty much the Only company I'd pay to watch a movie from is Valve.

Now those guys know how to make a good movie:

Oh, hell to the yes. I would pay $20 to see a true Valve movie, even if it was a short one.

So... he means actual cutscenes? Nothing added, just a bunch of stuff ripped from the game? Pardon my French, but why the fuck would anyone buy that? It's online, IT'S ON YOUR COMPUTER.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
What else will that evil monster think of !? Selling music from games ?

oh...

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Kotick, a simple statement towards this message.

FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR NEVER ENDING GREED.

Thank you.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
"I dont want to insult our customers with in game ads, but I will charge them 3 times more for DLC and now cutscenes in games they already own"

I have a better idea, I record the cutscenes from the game I already bought and own...and put them on a DVD myself so I can enjoy what I paid for all the time without spending extra! Ahhh what a grand idea.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
To be honest. Do what you want Bobby. I won't pay for it anyway and if it get's to the point you take out cut scenes from games to sell them as separate product then i won't buy Activision published games at all. It's all that simple.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
They already did this. It's called Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

Seriously fans wouldn't buy this. "You want a Starcraft Movie?" "Hell Yeah!" "It's just the cutsxenes from the game you already bought" "Oh then no". Biggest opening weekend my ass.

They pulled thus thing with Red Dead Redemption by turning it into a half hour film. I watched it expecting some new background story or something. Nope it was just the cutsxenes from the game stitched together. I got pissed off and stopped watching. Good thing I didn't pay for it.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Stuff like this makes me want to be Christian. If that were so, I'd know there'd be a cruel and appropriate punishment for the likes of Mr Kotick.

Perhaps his punishment would be having to spend the rest of the afterlife in the Greed section of Hell.

The whole thing is just pure greed, plain and simple.

zombiestrangler

Sep 3, 2009
ugh.... Alright so the next logical step for this money-grubbing weasel would be either doubling the prices on every game and DLC or breaking in to customers' homes and stealing everything of value. I really hope that asshole dies horribly and painfully.

t3hmaniac

Mar 22, 2010
Not to wish death on anyone but is it really necessary for this level of greed to exist?

Yarpie

Jun 24, 2010
Wow, this guy doesn't pass up any opportunity, no matter how damn contrived it is. Seriously, this guy said he didn't want to be the Darth Vader of video games and I don't think he is anymore; he's fucking Palpatine at this point.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
HT_Black said:
It seems like Bobby's trying his hardest to win a certain game, but no matter how hard he tries he just keeps on turning a profit. It must be awful spending years of your life trying to kill your corporation, only to repeatedly do well; maybe the extra points you get for a PR victory just aren't worth it.

Either way: my heart goes out to the poor, fabulously wealthy Bobby Kotick. Hope you fail soon, you poor chronic money-maker.
I feel it is more like this game. [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/6/11/]

But Blizzard has already compiled their cutscenes onto DVDs and sold them to fans.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
If Bobby keeps pushing gamers like this, it's only going to be a matter of time before they push back or simply cannot afford to buy his extortionate wares.

I hope the rest of the Blizzard / Activision CEOs catch onto the disservice he's doing their companies and fire the guy.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Mortagog said:
Jack and Calumon said:
That seems lazy and an excuse for money grabbing.
There is nothing seemingly about it. I can't believe that he keeps pulling shit like this! FUCK!
Seriously - Hes not even trying to hide his intentions now - Any excuse to make money for him...