KOTOR III Would Have Finished Revan's Story

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
KOTOR III Would Have Finished Revan's Story

Knights of the Old Republic III only made it to pre-production, but Obsidian had big plans for what would have been the series' final installment.

Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords was the game that put Obsidian Entertainment on the map. Despite its flaws, there was enough passion behind the game that Obsidian was ready to get to work on a follow-up title to conclude what would have been the KOTOR trilogy - but alas, the project never got the green light. Evidently, this third game would have featured KOTOR II's protagonist following in the footsteps of Darth Revan to unravel a sinister galactic conspiracy.

"I always liked the idea that Revan ... was actually even more of a brilliant strategist than became apparent in the first game," says Obsidian's Chris Avellone. The second game implies that Revan may have discovered a vast threat on the edge of the galaxy - which apparently would have been an ancient, immensely powerful Sith empire.

"If they could shape entire planets or galaxies or nebulas, and they had all these slave races at their disposal, how cool would that be?" Avellone asks. "To go into the heart of darkness and you're the lone Jedi and/or new version of the Sith confronting these guys? What would that be like? I thought that would be pretty epic."

Epic, indeed. KOTOR III almost certainly won't be revived at this point, since many of its ideas were either incorporated into or overwritten by the Old Republic MMO. Still, the legacy Avellone created with Revan won't soon be forgotten.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-31-fear-is-the-path-to-the-dark-side]

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
And now to reap the sweet, sweet tears of hundreds of KOTOR reading this. Mmm...

That does sound utterly epic though. Make it so, somebody!

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
And instead of awesome, we got TOR, which is about as far from awesome as Bioware can make something.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Cognimancer said:
Evidently, this third game would have featured KOTOR II's protagonist following in the footsteps of Darth Revan to unravel a sinister galactic conspiracy.
Considering that's where the book [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-The-Republic-Revan/dp/0345511352] goes with the story, and that it was done by the main author behind KOTOR , I think it's safe to say that that storyline has effectively been covered and we're not missing out on anything anymore.

Still would have been nice to have in game form though...

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
thehorror2 said:
And instead of awesome, we got TOR, which is about as far from awesome as Bioware can make something.
Truth has never been truthier.

Really too bad we'll never see this at all since Bioware decided to retcon basically everythin that happened in KOTOR 2 because they were bitter that Obsidian made a better story than they did (my opinion only!).

Hell, does the exile even exist in ToR lore anymore?

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Jadak said:
"Evidently, this third game would have featured KOTOR II's protagonist following in the footsteps of Darth Revan to unravel a sinister galactic conspiracy."

Considering that's where the book [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-The-Republic-Revan/dp/0345511352] goes with the story, and that it was done by the main author behind KOTOR , I think it's safe to say that storyline has effectively been covered and we're not missing out on anything anymore.

Still would have been nice to have in game form though...
Ah, but this article is talking about what the main author behind KotOR II would have done with it, which is probably far more interesting. BioWare's good at creating the right feel in a game - building the setting, interesting characters, great music - but in terms of plot, it's hard to find someone who can do a better job than Obsidian.

Shame this won't happen, but hey, with any luck, Obsidian might get a shot at the Star Wars universe again sometime - I wonder what they'd do if they weren't tied to making a sequel of something?

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Would've been sweet. Shame it will never be as anything would be better than old republic.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
So this was Obsidian's intention. However, Bioware had already been contacted by Lucasarts to do KOTOR 3, which was then cancelled during Lucasart's semi implosion in the mid 2000s.

But we got that *beautiful novel by Drew Karpyshin to make up for it!

*By beautiful, I mean an abortion applied to paper.

I still prefer KOTOR 2's version of the True Sith: an eldritch abomination that could bend the reality of space, lying beyond the Outer Rim. Like Qu Rahn said in Dark Forces II

"Imagine someone who could destroy a star with a whisper, eradicate a solar system with a snap of his fingers, or 'think' a planet from its orbit."

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
shintakie10 said:
Hell, does the exile even exist in ToR lore anymore?
Yes, she (it's canon) died and her force ghost kept Revan somewhat sane while he was tortured by the big bad Emperor for a few hundred years.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
It always upsets me how Revan and the Exile's stories were destroyed by the shockingly bad story in the Old Republic and the tie in Revan book (I shudder at how bad that is)

This was the ending they both deserved and would have been excellent had Obsidian been given the chance to produce it, for shame Lucas!

Sep 14, 2009
god dammit, just making me get all stirred up over this -_-

i sitll can't believe we got TOR instead of....this. jesus christ i hate publishers sometimes.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
This just makes me pissed off. Especially after the way Bioware fuck up the story and character of Reven with the Old Republic.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
shintakie10 said:
Really too bad we'll never see this at all since Bioware decided to retcon basically everything that happened in KOTOR 2 because they were bitter that Obsidian made a better story than they did (my opinion only!).
You seem to be confused on what the definition of opinion is. What you said was a statement, not an opinion, it's pure conjecture with no facts to back it up.

And they didn't retcon everything, a few conversations maybe, but it's not like they wiped the game out of existence. Having said that, a lot of people still consider KOTOR 2 to be inferior to the first, mostly because it takes a mod for that game to even have a proper ending.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
So "the heart of darkness" but with a jedi/sith twist, where you are on the hunt for Revan/Konrad Kurtz.... why... why can't we have this. Because of that fucking stupid mmo... I am ever so sad. If I only someone had ***** smacked some sense into EA. How can you fuck up one of the most successful and beloved franchises, they could have just stuck to the formula and had guaranteed success. Like they did with Mass Effect 3, which might have arguably been the worst gameplay of the series, but made tons of cash. Instead we have an mmo that killed the entire franchise.

JazzJack2

Feb 10, 2013
daibakuha said:
Having said that, a lot of people still consider KOTOR 2 to be inferior to the first, mostly because it takes a mod for that game to even have a proper ending.
But even the unmodded ending of KoToR 2 is considerably better than the first KoToR's ending.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Could they not just make it now? If the ideas are still there, why not?
It would probably be the only decent Star Wars media in a long while, that's for sure.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
daibakuha said:
shintakie10 said:
Really too bad we'll never see this at all since Bioware decided to retcon basically everything that happened in KOTOR 2 because they were bitter that Obsidian made a better story than they did (my opinion only!).
You seem to be confused on what the definition of opinion is. What you said was a statement, not an opinion, it's pure conjecture with no facts to back it up.

And they didn't retcon everything, a few conversations maybe, but it's not like they wiped the game out of existence. Having said that, a lot of people still consider KOTOR 2 to be inferior to the first, mostly because it takes a mod for that game to even have a proper ending.
Too bad there isn't a mod to make KOTOR 1 better than KOTOR 2!

Hah!

I'll go back to playing WoW and stop sulking about the lack of a KOTOR 3.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
JazzJack2 said:
daibakuha said:
Having said that, a lot of people still consider KOTOR 2 to be inferior to the first, mostly because it takes a mod for that game to even have a proper ending.
But even the unmodded ending of KoToR 2 is considerably better than the first KoToR's ending.
What? No, no. I'm the biggest fan of KOTOR 2 on this site next to J.E.F.F.E.R.S and even I won't say that the unmodded KOTOR 2 ending wasn't anything other than a messy, broken dungeon. KOTOR 1's ending had a unique location (The star Forge is really cool), a well thought out boss fight, and a nice homage to the medal ceremony from A New Hope.

The only thing that KOTOR 2's unmodded ending had was Kreia's prophecies about your companions, even fortelling the fall of the Mandalorians at the hand of Mace Windu.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
JazzJack2 said:
daibakuha said:
What? No, no. I'm the biggest fan of KOTOR 2 on this site next to J.E.F.F.E.R.S and even I won't say that the unmodded KOTOR 2 ending wasn't anything other than a messy, broken dungeon. KOTOR 1's ending had a unique location (The star Forge is really cool), a well thought out boss fight, and a nice homage to the medal ceremony from A New Hope.

The only thing that KOTOR 2's unmodded ending had was Kreia's prophecies about your companions, even fortelling the fall of the Mandalorians at the hand of Mace Windu.
Part of my annoyance with 1s ending was just how generic it was. It's still the same generic Bioware swill as ever with the same vanilla flavor, just this time with lightsabers. Even if KOTOR 2's endin was just a very confusin mishmash of random stuff, at least it was a confusin mishmash of somethin different.