Kratos

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
You weren't supposed to relate to the Young Ones?

And here I thought Vivian and I shared so much in common...

And I guess the explanation for Kratos' being a dick is that he feels resentment towards the Gods for not ridding him of his nightmares. He's still angry at himself, but he projects that anger on his surroundings, always looking for a reason to kill.

Then of course, not only is this a bit weak, but they try to rub it away by constantly trying to make the gods seem like bigger douchebags. And then it comes to debate: Are the Gods the bigger douchebags because they act out of selfishness to gain whatever they want, oppressing humans and titans alike (even other gods in some cases) if they disobey, or is Kratos the bigger douchebag for trying to find reasons to kill as many people as possible?

My opinion is that the Gods are bigger douchebags. You don't blame a mad dog for killing your family, you blame the guy who let the dog loose (A reference I'm sure many will understand)

I still don't like it how they try to force it down our throats that the gods are the biggest douchebags though.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yeah... this is why the people Kratos and Batman want to Rip out intestains/beat the crap out of all are much more interesting then the people we are suppose to root for. Zues is a power hungry king that wants to avoid the mistakes of his father to mantain his power. The Joker is a insane clown who insanity is only matched by his randomness in his actions. This might be why they decided to

kill batman in the comics.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
LordCuthberton said:
No comments reply? Sadface.

Never played the God Of War series, that's the problem with console exclusives. So most PlayStation fans have probably never played the Gears Of War series.
I own a 360 and I think I'd prefer having God of War over Gears of War.

HollywoodH17

Jan 6, 2010
I really do like Extra Punctuation. It helps flesh out Yahtzee's points of view, for one, and adds some suspense for the next day's ZP.

I'm with furburt here: the Gods are big ol' d-bags. kratos just wants revenge on them and will stop at nothing - including killing women, innocents, etc - to get there. Granted, this is selfish, but the gods royally screwed him over, and most people would be miffed if they did to them what they did to Kratos.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
from all the trailers Ive seen of god of war 3 Ive started rooting for the gods, I played the hell out of the first god of war but never got around to the 2nd since my ps2 looks like shit on my hd set. Kratos really seems like just insanity incarnate by this point, altho I am looking forward to seeing him eat baby jesus in god of war 4... or maybe it will turn out that one of the woman he has sex with in the mini game is mary and hes really jesus's father. The next game could be a buddy picture type game, with jesus being all pussy trying to keep kratos from killing the world because it stubbed his toe.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
HollywoodH17 said:
I really do like Extra Punctuation. It helps flesh out Yahtzee's points of view, for one, and adds some suspense for the next day's ZP.

I'm with furburt here: the Gods are big ol' d-bags. kratos just wants revenge on them and will stop at nothing - including killing women, innocents, etc - to get there. Granted, this is selfish, but the gods royally screwed him over, and most people would be miffed if they did to them what they did to Kratos.
HollywoodH17 said:
I'm with furburt here
HollywoodH17 said:
I must say that I am deeply offended.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I generally agree with this article, but feel that the Gods get off rather easily in the whole ordeal. They're the ones who recruited Kratos to kill Ares (why they couldn't do it themselves, who knows..) and then basically said, "Yeah, we said we'd wipe away those nightmares, but actually we can't. Thanks anyways!" Then he becomes the God of War, and they realize "Oh shit, the God of War may be a little too ambitious (what a shock!) and now we have to strip him then kill him!" He has every right to be pissed and want revenge, and I'm not sure if Spartans are trained in anything OTHER than killing everyone in their way.

Still, Kratos did start to become a parody of himself in GoW2 and it was cemented in GoW3. He seemed a little too-eager to kill and seemed to lose sight of why he started on this crazy journey (from GoW) in the first place. It was nice to see how the trilogy ended, but I was in no hurry to play through the game again once I was done and promptly mailed my copy back to Gamefly.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Man, i love the Young Ones.
OT: Kratos is awesome, but i do question his motives sometimes. I mean, he got revenge, great, but did he have to continue beign a dick to everythign in GOW2? He should of been happy as a God. Sheeesh talk about power hungry.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
HollywoodH17 said:

Its a bloody good thing they screwed him over because he was being stupid. If you see at the start of God of War 2 because Kratos was a former Spartan he was helping them win every single battle they were in thus making them an unstoppable force which would take over the world given time and leave only Spartans, Zeus didnt want this to happen and so killed Kratos to stop him being a dick to everyone but his own country. So in retrospective Kratos is a selfish dick and deserved to be drained off all his power in my opinion.

This does not however stop me from enjoying his adventure to destroy all of Mount Olympus like the manical son of a ***** he is.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Very good points about Kratos. I'd never tried to compare him to Batman before, fearing some sort of universal nerd-driven quantum collapse. But it's a valid comparison, and well-put.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I agree there's not much left to develop on Kratos now except for how much blood he can splatter onto the screen.

Off-Topic: Damn Hub you've gotten shafted on the deal there i say you kill him.

HollywoodH17

Jan 6, 2010
Hubilub said:
HollywoodH17 said:

HollywoodH17 said:
I'm with furburt here
HollywoodH17 said:
Oh Christ. That's what I get for hastily reading a few posts and trying to remember which of the forum Gods that I try to emulate posted something. Sorry >.<

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
But surely this is the fate of every (anti-)hero character that doesn't die once they have achieved the aim of their initial motivation for going down their path (& by die I mean in a finite way not going to the underworld only to kick more ass on the way out again)? It's the message of pretty much every revenge story I can think of that once redemption/revenge etc is complete, the world keeps spinning and leaves the protagonist unable to do anything but carry on, since there is no other path open to them. The blind desire for vengeance, or fighting crime by criminal acts etc, leading us to become the monster we hunted. Resolution only comes with death, because until then there will always be another day, always another opponent, always another excuse to use as a reason for continuing, even if continuing is the excuse. So while it's unfortunate to see Kratos etc become parodies of themselves as their saga is forced to continue, that's the fate of every character for whom the world does not end with the conclusion of the first story arc.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I've never played through much of any God of War game enough to derive any of the story out of it (a consequence of which results in my mind always linking the name Kratos to Tales of Symphonia before remembering "oh yeah he's the God of War guy).

Anywho Yahtzee's analysis seems pretty accurate but games have proved us time and again that you don't really need a great story and characters to make a game interesting. It certainly helps and in some games you really do need to have good characters and story for it to work. I've only played a little of the first two and the combat was fun enough that I'm happy with Kratos being Batman with an effection for overkill.

Apr 28, 2008
Hubilub said:
HollywoodH17 said:

HollywoodH17 said:
I'm with furburt here
HollywoodH17 said:
HA! Thats hilarious.

Back on topic: I agree. I can't really look at Kratos seriously anymore. All while playing the games, the same thought of "why is he doing this if he already kind of got his revenge" kept poping into my mind. I know he had nightmares, but is that really a reason to murder everything that ever lived, and in some cases re-murder dead things?

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Torque669 said:
HollywoodH17 said:

Its a bloody good thing they screwed him over because he was being stupid. If you see at the start of God of War 2 because Kratos was a former Spartan he was helping them win every single battle they were in thus making them an unstoppable force which would take over the world given time and leave only Spartans, Zeus didnt want this to happen and so killed Kratos to stop him being a dick to everyone but his own country. So in retrospective Kratos is a selfish dick and deserved to be drained off all his power in my opinion.

This does not however stop me from enjoying his adventure to destroy all of Mount Olympus like the manical son of a ***** he is.
Well remember that they tricked him into killing a freaking god in the first game by making him think they would take away his guilt. Being gods they must have fully known that it was because of that Kratos wanted to kill Ares and nothing else.

And I don't know about you, but that would have made me pretty dang passive aggressive myself.

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
Didn't you hear? You and Furburt are officially all one entity due to a little scientific mishap.

OT: Very good as usual, I seem to prefer the Extra Punctuation to the Zero Punctuation probably because Yahtzee gets more realm to explain his opinion shown in the Zero Punctuation episode further. Admittedly, I haven't actually played any of the God of War games, but I liked the article nonetheless.