L.a. Noire probably wont sell.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
I know, they'll have my money, so that's +1 to the sales.

LA Noire is simply a dream come true for me. It's a story-heavy detective/murder mystery game, settled in America's 40's, AND it looks and sounds marvelous. Every single thing I love the most (game type, plot type, setting) in games and fiction overall is coming as one, to deliver an astounding experience.

This, and The Witcher 2 are my two GOTY candidates. To hell with Skyrim (it will bore me anyway, just like Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion), Uncharted 3 and Batman: Arkham City (okay, I will buy those last two, but I'm nowhere near as hyped about them as with LA Noire and The Witcher).

Mr C

May 8, 2008
Forgive me, I have only read the OP.

What shocks me here, is that a site dedicated to gaming has a user base who are really out of touch with what is coming out. When I was a young gamer we had hearsay and monthly magazines. Nowadays the internet provides an abundance of information. So much so that I was delusional enough to believe that people interested in games and technology would find out what was coming out, especially if said game was from one of the most successful publishers currently operating.

Remember this thread next time you grumble about samey shooters and sequels.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
8-Bit Grin said:
Sober Thal said:
How many sales do you consider a success/fail?

Also, do fans of one thing only buy one type of game now-a-days?
To answer your first question, the number of sales should exceed development and production costs to be successful. Simple answer.

To answer your second, people tend to stick where they feel safe. Not everyone is experimental.

Call of Duty fans are one basic example.
actually... everyone sticks where they feel safe.
there are no exceptions, and this is why radically different games never sell well

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
Rockstar made Bully and that didn't sell, but had a sort of cult following, including me.
I think the same thing could happen here.
You'd think people would go "OHMIGOD ROCKSTART LIKE GTA OBVS" but they don't, maybe I underestimate people :)

Deathninja19

Dec 7, 2009
Yeah sorry but the ad campaign is so massive and with the Rockstar name behind it there's no way it won't sell

x-machina

Sep 14, 2010
Heavy Rain did well, and those developers don't attract any where near the hype that a rockstar game will. I think LA Noire will do just fine.

Oskamunda

Dec 26, 2008
Ah, but you're forgetting that the development costs were actually not that high, as there was almost to animation programming going into the faces. That's where a lot of resources in game development go nowadays, thanks to the Uncanny Valley; once the engine and the camera rooms were made, no more money pit into that monster.

The proprietary technology invented for this game will make Rockstar more money than the game itself will, and let's not forget that big Microsoft bribe in the form of exclusive DLC which paid the entire development costs of GTA 4...everything after that was cream.

So, I don't think they'll be hurting much, even if the game doesn't sell.

But it will, because everyone loves Philip Marlowe.

Harrowdown

Jan 11, 2010
I see your point, but it's not so indie that the mainstream crowd will just turn their nose up at it. It's a triple A game with top range graphics, being released by Rockstar. Marketing-wise, it's probably had the same level of hype that the GTA games and RDR got, which is to say the coverage was strong, yet not overdone. It might not quite make back the development costs, but that's a fairly common trend nowadays, isn't it? No, i'm pretty sure it'll do well.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
I had a lot of the same worries but practically everyone one I know in my school with a console wants it, maybe it'll sell purely on being "the next GTA".

darkman80723

Jul 1, 2009
This is one of the three games so far this year Im interested in and will take a leap of faith on (that and I got a nice $500 bonus from my job so I got a little money to spend XD). The others being Duke Nukem and Portal 2. Got P2, loved it so if Duke (whom one should ALWAYS bet on =D) or LA Noire end up being worth my time and money and the other isnt then 2 outta 3 aint bad and Ill have a satisfied mind.

ForensicYOYO

Jun 12, 2010
This Is the first time Ive ever done this and I may be taking a huge risk, but Im buying this game day one because Im not very interested. I know It sounds retarded but I can't tell you how many times I went into a movie purposely telling myself it will suck and end up enjoying it because it was better then I expected. Plus I just want to support Rock Star for doing something different even if it does bad.

goliath6711

May 3, 2010
kanada514 said:
ToonLink said:
This may be my fanboyism speaking here, but LA Noire is going to be game of the year. I can almost guarantee it.
I know, you're probably right, and this is a disaster for the video game industry.
Is the game industry trying to become the movie industry? I find it terrible that 'games' such as Heavy Rain and LA Noire get so much hype and worst of all, are successful.
They're not games. They're slightly interractive movies. Why are those movies disguised as games so successful? Why are they praised as games of the year? They're not games. Shouldn't they be at the most, praised as movie of the year?
I think the fact that they are praised by video game critics is the worst thing for the video game industry. It entices more game developers to make movies.
There are enough movies out there. Why do video game developers feel the need to add some more?
Le gamers get games, and let cinephiles get movies.
I am so sick and tired of this "These aren't real games" crap.

If you don't like them, don't buy them. But don't sit there and screw this up for the rest of us that do want them. Who in the HELL are you to say that they're not real games? That they're abominatons that don't fit your narrow-minded definition of "fun"?

I like these types of cinematic games. I want more of these games. I actually consider those very elements to be fun. Whether you agree or not, I really don't give a damn. You can say how much you don't like this type of game till you're blue in the face, but don't come around here saying that they shouldn't be made. Every genre has a fanbase, and to say that one fanbse doesn't deserve to be recognized is a slap to the face of all fans.

mr.mystery

Mar 24, 2011
ZeroMachine said:
TheDooD said:
Giest4life said:
I won't be buying it. Maybe is my flawed impression, but it feels just like Mafia I and II--and I didn't get II either.

If tries something new and different, for the sake of the industry I hope it sells. Otherwise it can going in the 9.99 pile at Gamestop.
This is how a felt about LA Noire it seems the stories from that age just seem cheesy. I hope it sells well so we can get an new GTA but overall this game is something I'll watch a playthrough of instead of buying.
You two need to watch the videos for it. There's a huge difference.

mr.mystery said:
someones trolling
How so, exactly? I've been worried about it myself. The marketing campaign for the game is nearly non-existent. Many people haven't heard of it until last week.

God dammit, some of you people need to learn the definition of trolling. And next time actually contribute to the thread.
Then change the title of the thread. It looks like you are trollin.

And its Rockstar game its going to sell. they always do.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
I'm not buying it because a warning light flashes in my head when a game uses, "like a movie" as a selling point. If it's good people will buy it. however I gotta say that it's success would probably be either a lateral or possibly backwards step for the games industry.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
mr.mystery said:
ZeroMachine said:
TheDooD said:
Giest4life said:
I won't be buying it. Maybe is my flawed impression, but it feels just like Mafia I and II--and I didn't get II either.

If tries something new and different, for the sake of the industry I hope it sells. Otherwise it can going in the 9.99 pile at Gamestop.
This is how a felt about LA Noire it seems the stories from that age just seem cheesy. I hope it sells well so we can get an new GTA but overall this game is something I'll watch a playthrough of instead of buying.
You two need to watch the videos for it. There's a huge difference.

mr.mystery said:
someones trolling
How so, exactly? I've been worried about it myself. The marketing campaign for the game is nearly non-existent. Many people haven't heard of it until last week.

God dammit, some of you people need to learn the definition of trolling. And next time actually contribute to the thread.
Then change the title of the thread. It looks like you are trollin.

And its Rockstar game its going to sell. they always do.
... Uh... I didn't make the thread...

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
rolfwesselius said:
Im afraid If La noirse faills developers will be too afraid to try new things
"LA Noirse" could be a cool game too.

Captcha: BK+1 JOINEA
(Whatever this is... PLUS ONE!)

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
rolfwesselius said:
Before you rage on me i really cant wait for it.
But who will be interested in buying it except people who want something new?
I am afraid the game will not sell ENOUGH to make the develepment worth it.
Hardcore Sandbox fans:No
hardcore Shooter fans: probably not.
Hardcore Rpg And Jrpg fans:probably not.
You forgot "People who don't like to see game content separated out as different pre-order 'bonuses'" because that pissed me off enough to bump this down from buyable to rentable.
If it's good enough I'll still buy it after the rental but I'll wait for a "complete/goty/episodes/whatever" it is they come out with that has all the dlc.

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
I'm no analyst, no, I can admit that much, but LA Noire is going to sell like hot cakes. It's going to linger in the charts like a malignant tumour. I've been loosely following its development for a little while and if it only delivers on half of its potential, it'll still do just fine.