L.a. Noire probably wont sell.

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
Just because someone is fan of a genre doesn't mean they stick to that ONE GENRE. I mean really, I have Black Ops, Burnout Paradise, FFXIII, and MLB 10 the Show, and I highly enjoy all of them. Just becuase someone is a fan of one genre doesn't bond them with it, to the exclusion of all other genres.

As for the original question, I will be getting Noire. I think the OP was wrong in saying "It doesn't appeal to anyone" and should have rather said "It has something for everyone."

DefinitelyPsychotic

Apr 21, 2011
Oskamunda said:
Ah, but you're forgetting that the development costs were actually not that high, as there was almost to animation programming going into the faces. That's where a lot of resources in game development go nowadays, thanks to the Uncanny Valley; once the engine and the camera rooms were made, no more money pit into that monster.

The proprietary technology invented for this game will make Rockstar more money than the game itself will, and let's not forget that big Microsoft bribe in the form of exclusive DLC which paid the entire development costs of GTA 4...everything after that was cream.

So, I don't think they'll be hurting much, even if the game doesn't sell.

But it will, because everyone loves Philip Marlowe.
Philip Marlowe isn't in L.A. Noire...

GoGrapefruit

Apr 25, 2011
When was it decided that a good story in a game was unessessary and unwanted? Whats wrong with you people?

Rossiar

Oct 29, 2009
rolfwesselius said:
Before you rage on me i really cant wait for it.
But who will be interested in buying it except people who want something new?
I am afraid the game will not sell ENOUGH to make the develepment worth it.
Isn't it this sort of game that makes the industry worthwhile? If people only played it safe and didn't make things that "did something new" we wouldn't have the games industry. I'm worried that you think that people who want games with new ideas are a minority when compared to the hardcore fans who aren't any sort of majority in gaming. Even these (as has been mentioned) can have a taste other games outside their chosen category.

Personally I think that L.A. Noire looks really good and will do a lot to advance gaming as an art form (which I have heard much support for here at the Escapist).

Also @OutrageousEmu I don't know but i'm fairly sure the Uncharted series has never won any GOTY for lacking the features that I believe will win L.A. Noire one this year.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
It'll be great, but people have no patience these days. They won't listen to anything in the game, not the clues, or the interrogations, and just want to get to the shooting. I guarantee that. However, I really want it. Badly.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Im not really intrigued by it. Ill give it a shot, and maybe ill be proven wrong. But this train of thought does make sense on some level.

Outright Villainy said:
OutrageousEmu said:
ToonLink said:
This may be my fanboyism speaking here, but LA Noire is going to be game of the year. I can almost guarantee it.
Okay, no. Its good, I will give you that. Very very good, on any other year it would sweep the GOTYs. But 2011? This year? No, Uncharted 3 has that in the bag.
Wow sir, tell me where you get your games from the future!
What? You dont?

(Probably late to this party, but I didnt want to pass it up.)

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Outright Villainy said:
OutrageousEmu said:
ToonLink said:
This may be my fanboyism speaking here, but LA Noire is going to be game of the year. I can almost guarantee it.
Okay, no. Its good, I will give you that. Very very good, on any other year it would sweep the GOTYs. But 2011? This year? No, Uncharted 3 has that in the bag.
Uncharted 3? Please, Skyrim has it locked and sealed, a game that has been anticipated practically since 2006.

Uncharted is a copy paste tomb raider meets every third person shooter with a kinda cool story.

Skyrim is part of the elder scrolls series, a open world RPG genre definer.

Its gonna win if it delivers even a QUARTER of what it promises

OT: Honestly the big put off for me is that the facial animations, while heavily advertized, look like worse shit then bioware plastic face so I really wont be going for it

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Saviordd1 said:
Outright Villainy said:
OutrageousEmu said:
ToonLink said:
Uncharted 3? Please, Skyrim has it locked and sealed, a game that has been anticipated practically since 2006.

Uncharted is a copy paste tomb raider meets every third person shooter with a kinda cool story.

Skyrim is part of the elder scrolls series, a open world RPG genre definer.

Its gonna win if it delivers even a QUARTER of what it promises
Aside from quoting me, and not the person I was quoting which you clearly intended, this also gives me another oppurtunity to ask people where they're getting these future games!

Honestly now, I want some too, I mean, how else can you guys be forming concrete opinions on games that haven't come out yet?

3quency

Jun 12, 2009
I gotta say, it's the differences in L.A Noire that makes me want to try it out. Rockstar are doing something new and unique which is a rare thing for a big company (this is just my opinion correct me if I'm wrong), I don't know about global sales but they're definately getting one out of me. It'll be interesting to see how different it truly is.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
rolfwesselius said:
Before you rage on me i really cant wait for it.
But who will be interested in buying it except people who want something new?
I am afraid the game will not sell ENOUGH to make the develepment worth it.
Hardcore Sandbox fans:No
hardcore Shooter fans: probably not.
Hardcore Rpg And Jrpg fans:probably not.
I only named some of the bigger genres.

Im afraid If La noirse faills developers will be too afraid to try new things

Edit: i Mean it Probably wont be Respected for what it is many will probably trade it in
*Cough*kids*cough*
"I can't fit a game into any obvious category or niche. Therefore, it appeals to no one."

Out of curiosity, were you that kid that kept trying to jam square pegs into circular holes?

KiraTaureLor

Mar 27, 2011
From what I have seen so far it reminds me for the good aspects of MafiaII and Heavy Rain. Let's hope it's not a disappointment, or holds my hand more than ,my mother does.

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
ToonLink said:
Unless it suddenly becomes Skyrim, I doubt it...

RootbeerJello

Jul 19, 2009
Dude, but good games are like my favorite genre! This totally looks like one of those!

Okay, that came off douchey. To put it in actual terms, Portal was a shooter, Minecraft was just a big sandbox, and Dragon Age was an RPG. Dragon Age pulled people from way outside the normal RPG sphere, and Portal and Minecraft attracted EVERYONE. A good game always sells.