L4D Modder Raising Funds to Fly Gabe Newell to Australia

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
L4D Modder Raising Funds to Fly Gabe Newell to Australia

When Gabe Newell decided to boycott one Left 4 Dead modder's campaign, there was only one thing left to do. Turn the tables on Gabe and fly him out to end his boycott.

Boycotts are sometimes a productive means of protest here in our free market democracies, but they aren't always warranted when it comes to videogames. Some extremely vocal boycotters of Valve's Left 4 Dead 2 learned that when Valve flew them out to test out the game they so vociferously protested and found they suddenly liked [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94599-Valve-Flies-L4D2-Boycotters-to-HQ-to-Prove-Them-Wrong]. That was a good call by Gabe Newell to be diplomatic, and break down the antagonism. Everybody seemed happy, well, at least aside from the scorned gamers who didn't get to go.

One of those gamers, a Left 4 Dead modder who goes by the name "Joe W-A," decided to use his established relationship with Mr. Newell himself to protest this injustice. "Why the hell haven't I been flown to Valve?" he asked in an email to Newell. "I mean, you guys need to preview my campaign."

To which Gabe, in an about face from his seemingly anti-boycott stance, said, perhaps in humor but maybe possibly perhaps in utter and absolute seriousness:

"We are boycotting your campaign."

How to break down a boycott? Why not just take the same approach as Valve, Joe thought. "Does...does that mean I have to fly you here?" he asked Newell.

"Me and Erik," Newell replied, referring to Valve's Erik Johnson, who was CC'd on the email.

So Joe W-A - who actually isn't angry at Valve and seems to be having quite a bit of good-spirited fun with this - has started a Paypal fund [http://flygabenewell.blogspot.com/] accepting donations for the airfare to fly Gabe Newell and Erik Johnson all the way to Brisbane, Australia so that they can test out Joe's campaign and see for themselves, like the Left 4 Dead 2 boycotters, that boycotts are silly and pointless. Joe promises that if Newell and Johnson decide not to go that he'll refund the money. Otherwise, if they do come and he has spare cash, he'll buy a camera and record the whole damn thing and put it on YouTube. Sounds like plenty of reason to chip in a few bucks to me.

[Via RPS [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/09/11/the-boycott-joes-l4d-map-campaign/]]

Feb 13, 2008
Keane Ng said:
To which Gabe, in an about face from his seemingly anti-boycott stance, said, perhaps in humor but maybe possibly perhaps in utter and absolute seriousness:

"We are boycotting your campaign."
The more I hear about Gabe Newell, the more I like his sense of humour. Though he still needs to iron that shirt.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Okay, this is just getting silly. I know you want to support the community and all, but how about you get production on track for your upcoming releases?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
What the hell? That's hilarious. I find it funny that this man seems to be one of the most interesting members of the industry, and gets so much flak and hate. But still, he really is twisting the serrated knife on this whole boycott thing isn't he?

I gotta find some kind of reason to get Gabe down to London now...

SnowCold

Oct 1, 2008
I though about give a few bucks, just to see if there is a plane big enough to lift Gabe, but he got over 900 dollars.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I'll make a donation.
After all, for Gabe, the airline's going to make him buy two tickets.

Kushin

May 17, 2009
See... This is how arguements should be sorted out. With good humor and a laugh in the process.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Proteus214 said:
Okay, this is just getting silly. I know you want to support the community and all, but how about you get production on track for your upcoming releases?
Pro-tip: Episode 3 is never coming out.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
I'll make a donation.
After all, for Gabe, the airline's going to make him buy two tickets.

I really have to stop using that picture, but it really needs to stop being relevant first.

Keane Ng said:
Proteus214 said:
Course it is, it'll come in a pack along with Half life 3, complete with braille and a statuette of Gabe himself beating Cliffy B with a crowbar.

Cuddly Knife

May 20, 2009
LOl, good stuff. But can't the guy just send newell a copy of his mod instead of having to fly him to Australia?

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
I'm tempted to start up a new boycott about the fact that Gabe hasn't boycotted my boycott of the boycott against the Left 4 Dead 2 boycott.

Why can't Valve fly me to their offices? I actually support them and their games.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
$947.59 USD already.

This is why, all in all, I love The Internets.

For those of you who haven't read the donations tally, there's actually a $100 donation from Robin Walker (of Valve):

This is Robin Walker, from Valve. The rest of us at Valve would sure appreciate a couple of days without Erik around, so thanks for organising this!

Quick question though: if I donated more, would you buy a one-way ticket for him?

Robin.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Keane Ng said:
Proteus214 said:
Bet on it?
Sure, how's a Happy Meal sound?

Lord_Panzer said:
$947.59 USD already.

This is why, all in all, I love The Internets.

For those of you who haven't read the donations tally, there's actually a $100 donation from Robin Walker (of Valve):

This is Robin Walker, from Valve. The rest of us at Valve would sure appreciate a couple of days without Erik around, so thanks for organising this!

Quick question though: if I donated more, would you buy a one-way ticket for him?

Robin.
Wow, that's hilarious.