LA Noire or Portal 2?

Gunjack65

Jun 8, 2009
Alright so I have just finished my years exams and have decided to purchase myself a game to reward myself.
Chances are I shall get both of these games at some point but I just wish to know what is considered better.
A bit about me: I have enjoyed the other games from rockstar a lot (especialy Red Dead Redemption) but I have also enjoyed Valve's Half Life series and Portal.
Which should I get?

Tekkawarrior

Aug 17, 2009
I clocked portal 2 in a day, I'd definitely pick LA Noire. Considering that later on portal 2 will get a lot cheaper than it is now, LA Noire will give you a lot more game time and is definitely not a bad game.

Believe me, if you get portal 2 you will regret it on the second day after it's finished.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Id say LA...

If your purchasing today to reward yourself, should you reward yourself with more content?

I really do not get the point of buying Portal 2 right now knowing its less than 10 hours of content. 60$ is pretty high for 5-10 hours of content in my mind.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Just play Portal 2 first, its amazingly well done. It doesn't take too long to beat both the single player and co-op modes, its still very much quality over quantity even though its quite longer than the first.

Then go for L.A. Noire when you are done or have the time/money for it.

Jirlond

Jul 9, 2009
Yeah Portal 2 is good but very short, L.A Noire so effin pretty!I think people will be more excited about L.A Noire and portal can wait, this can't

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Jirlond said:
Yeah Portal 2 is good but very short, L.A Noire so effin pretty!I think people will be more excited about L.A Noire and portal can wait, this can't
Pretty?! I think we're going to have to fight it out on that one!

OT: I would go Portal 2, if only because I haven't played LA Noire. There's a possible 'yet' at the end of that sentence, but since everyone seems to think its made by R* (even reviewers) I'm rather dubious about the scores its been getting.

Jirlond

Jul 9, 2009
Woodsey said:
Jirlond said:
Pretty?! I think we're going to have to fight it out on that one!

OT: I would go Portal 2, if only because I haven't played LA Noire. There's a possible 'yet' at the end of that sentence, but since everyone seems to think its made by R* (even reviewers) I'm rather dubious about the scores its been getting.
L.A Noire reminds me of Shenmue the way characters interact with objects. I have both games and I loved portal 2, I just think if he was to play them in order L.A Noire would last until he got enough dosh together for portal 2 it wouldn't work the other way around.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
I recommend Portal 2, it's fun, funny, has replay value if you like to pick apart stories and find stuff you inevitably missed in your first run, and it features J.K. Simmons, what's not to like?

Kadir

Nov 20, 2009
If you're just looking to kill time or to get the best hours:dollars ratio possible, Portal 2 is not the game for you. It's great, but short.

Something else to consider is that valve tends to do CRAZY sales on it's own games: TF2 for $2.49, L4D2 for $5, Portal 1 for free, etc. Rockstar games also go on sale, but not as often and with a much smaller discount. It might be financially smarter to spring for LA Noire as long as you think you can dodge Portal 2 spoilers for a while.

PS, at the end you have to build momentum until you reach escape velocity so you can go to Mars and fight Martian GLaDOS.

Emperor_42

May 20, 2009
LA Noire, its much more original than portal 2 (with portal 2 being a sequel). Not that Portal 2 is bad mind but i think you'll get more out of LA Noire.

Happy Sock Puppet

Aug 10, 2010
Noire looks awesome, but I have not played it. I can VERY highly suggest Portal 2, but only if you enjoyed the first one.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I'd go with LA Noire. More content, better story.

Portal 2 is excellent, but not worth $60. It's more like $30 of game.

polymer

May 24, 2011
LA Noire for total immersion leading to addiction.

Portal 2's a very different game. I loved the first one, but have yet to really get into the sequel. Requires a different mood and mindset to most games.

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
If you're from the U.K. you can go to tesco and buy portal 2 for £30 and get LA Noire for £25, spend a little extra to get 2 games for £55 instead of one for £40.

numbersix1979

Jun 14, 2010
To me, it depends on what kind of person you are. If you liked Portal, you wanna play something like it again, pick up Portal 2 and you'll be well off for it. But pick up LA Noire if you wanna play something original and new, but that's definitely flawed and might not be your taste. The Portal formula is well tested, so it'll definitely be fun. LA Noire is new and exciting, so it should also be fun. Take your pick!

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Alright here's the deal, Get portal 2, play it, finish it, return before the end of day, get LA Noire.

Shouldn't cost you anything extra.
Depends on the company ofcourse but I usually get away with it.