LA Noire Sequel Will Have New Tech, But Won't Take as Long to Make

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
LA Noire Sequel Will Have New Tech, But Won't Take as Long to Make

Writing a script for a game like LA Noire [http://www.amazon.com/L-Noire-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J5UQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306159472&sr=8-1] takes a while, but Team Bondi is confident that it has a handle on the technical side.

Capturing actors faces from dozens of angles was fine for the first LA Noire game, but Team Bondi want to go one better for the sequel and capture an actor's entire performance, without the need for a motion capture suit. The studio also says that despite this new technology, the LA Noire 2 will take significantly less time to make.

The original game was more than five years in the making, but Brendan McNamara, Team Bondi's founder, says that part of what took so long was creating the tools to make a game like LA Noire in the first place. Even with the new technology, he thought the process would take less time - just a couple of years- and that it would enable actors to perform as they were in a movie or TV show.

Sadly, one area where Team Bondi isn't going to be able to save any time is the game's script. McNamara said that the branching conversations, with all their lies, half-truths, and misdirection, meant that the script had to cover a lot of ground. "The writing part you can't really make any shorter," he said. "The script by its nature is three times as long because you have these different avenues and there are a lot of logical problems to that, as well."

But despite taking so long to achieve, getting a sense of realism into LA Noire was high up on Team Bondi's checklist, as was injecting a little but more personality into the proceedings. "Generally videogame characters are 2D cutouts that carry big guns and do one liners," McNamara said. "So to bring that degree of humanity to these characters was a big goal for the game."

With LA Noire having the honor of being the first videogame to recognized by the Tribeca Film Festival, it seems like Team Bondi might just be on to something.

Source: GamerLive [http://www.gamerlive.tv/article/brendan-mcnamara-explains-why-la-noire-2-won%E2%80%99t-take-long-make]

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
Here's hoping it comes out on next-gen systems. The ingame faces look pathetic compared to the original 3D scan that they get after filming a performance. That B.T.S video spoiled me on the tech and just made me wish this game was coming out when the hardware was more capable.

Paul Hearding

Creator of Pro-gamer Gauntlet
Oct 1, 2010
I'm ok with them taking as long as they need. L.A. Noire is one of those unique gaming experiences that will stick with you for many, many years to come.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Cursed Frogurt said:
Here's hoping it comes out on next-gen systems. The ingame faces look pathetic compared to the original 3D scan that they get after filming a performance. That B.T.S video spoiled me on the tech and just made me wish this game was coming out when the hardware was more capable.
But why would it? I mean the faces could still be improved on current-gen. Many games have better face graphics.

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
Not to be personal, but unlike games being considered art (YES!), how is a game being considered at a film festival "honorable"? I'm sure you meant that in a positive light, but it kind of came off like the game should be honored for resembling a different medium.

Anyway, I'd just like to add: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW REEEEAAALLLYY?! The game JUST CAME OUT! They're having tech issues (which Rockstar apparently refuses to acknowledge) with it still! A sequel? Really?

I think this is proof enough why the ending was the way it was to LA Noire (stupid f**king spelling annoys the crap out of *grumble*). So, yeah. No. I won't buy back the copy I returned on the chance the game will fry my fat PS3. I already have enough sequel crap to deal with in gaming. I'm not falling for this shit again.

...However I can at least be happy for those who felt extremely jilted at the end of the game. There's no DLC so far (I don't think), but there IS a sequel for you! Let's hope it's not the ODST kind of sequel...

RabidShihTzu23

Mar 11, 2011
Considering the first one completely crashed and ruined my PS3 and rockstar is completely avoiding the issue, my guess is I'll be skipping the sequel.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Awesome. Color me excited. I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm ready for another one.

This is excellent news.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I think a sequel is a bad idea. Cole's story was pretty wrapped up since
Cole dies saving Elsa and Kelso
, so the sequel will probably follow
Kelso
, but he just doesn't have the bipolar charm that Cole did.

Besides, LA Noire is a whole new type of game...leaving it without a sequel would have given it that special...thing.

Eh, I'm unable to articulate my thoughts today.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
I think a sequel is a bad idea. Cole's story was pretty wrapped up since
Cole dies saving Elsa and Kelso
, so the sequel will probably follow
Kelso
, but he just doesn't have the bipolar charm that Cole did.

Besides, LA Noire is a whole new type of game...leaving it without a sequel would have given it that special...thing.

Eh, I'm unable to articulate my thoughts today.
Nobody said it would be a direct sequel. I'm hoping for a modern day setting, myself.

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Sober Thal said:
MORE!!!

Just work on the female faces.

And the hair. Crappy hair. It would be nice to be able to see some women with their hair down.
I'll admit, the hair did bother me, but not really the faces, oh the ears got me a lot, they're mostly square and flat and ugh, but I loved the car damage and how you would damage individual parts and wheels could be broken off.

It's a bit hasty but I'll probably get it if it's anything like the first in terms of story telling.

If you're a fan of Noire fiction and you don't like what you're reading in this thread from posters then don't worry about them, I assume they were expecting:

A happy ending in a genre that is mostly dark and a little depressing

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
I'm personally hoping someone gets on the writing board with McNamara. The game was good, but I don't believe it was on the same level as Red Dead Redemption, and I think it's because of the writing. It seemed highly uncharacteristic when
Cole decided to immediately have an affair with Elsa. With barely any warning other than a couple cutscenes of him looking longingly at her. And his closed door encounter just so happened to give Roy Earle the evidence he needed to get Cole demoted to arson just before he could charge Courtney. Talk about a convenient coincidence, especially considering how driven Cole was for upholding the law and justice and all that prior to the affair. Speaking of which, showing a bit more with his wife (and apparently 2+ girls) would have made things sadder when she kicked him out and threatened divorce. At least Red Dead Redemption didn't show them until the end because you were working hard to get them back, giving a feeling of accomplishment when you finally did all you were asked. This one just seemed tacked on.

Getting a second writer on board will probably create a lot of correspondance over what can be put in, but having a second pair of eyes to make objective views of McNamara's work can't be entirely bad. Perhaps they can avoid what happened in this game in regards to overall story. Red Dead certainly avoided a few pitfalls with it's writing team of three.

It couldn't hurt.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
Dulcinea said:
Ian Caronia said:
Not to be personal, but unlike games being considered art (YES!), how is a game being considered at a film festival "honorable"? I'm sure you meant that in a positive light, but it kind of came off like the game should be honored for resembling a different medium.

Anyway, I'd just like to add: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW REEEEAAALLLYY?! The game JUST CAME OUT! They're having tech issues (which Rockstar apparently refuses to acknowledge) with it still! A sequel? Really?

I think this is proof enough why the ending was the way it was to LA Noire (stupid f**king spelling annoys the crap out of *grumble*). So, yeah. No. I won't buy back the copy I returned on the chance the game will fry my fat PS3. I already have enough sequel crap to deal with in gaming. I'm not falling for this shit again.

...However I can at least be happy for those who felt extremely jilted at the end of the game. There's no DLC so far (I don't think), but there IS a sequel for you! Let's hope it's not the ODST kind of sequel...
Took the words right out of my mouth, you did.
Ian Caronia said:

Uhm... I'm sorry but what is a ODST sequel?

OT: I think this is great news, I love L.A noire and I would be stoked if it turned into a franchise.

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
cool, I'm loving this game so far. I think the rest of the presentation is crap though, I dont usually mind unless it breaks immersion... the shadows are horrible and there's pop in like no tomorrow. Also I'm getting some serious lag during gunfights... a bit better optimisation wouldnt have gone amiss. there's no excuse for a laggy console game really.