Lady Sentenced for Bribing Kid with Videogame

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Dfskelleton said:
I can see what's going on here. A 9 year old kid who hasn't been taught about stuff like this wants something and blindly steals something for the cesspit of stupid that is FFXIV Online. If it were a stranger, I hope he wouldn't have, but his neighbor? Maybe. You'd have to be a bit dull, but you're already asking for FFXIV Online, so that proves something about his intelligence.
Note: It was a joke.

PS: Final Fantasy XIV didn't have much information known at the time, so even if he did ask for it he didn't know what he was getting himself into.

PSS: It's now being created by competent players. It's no longer the huge failure it was at first.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
Nope. It's not Fark. My posts don't normally just vanish off of this site. If I had TF with that issue, I would be upset.
You need to upgrade to Ultr++++**NO CARRIER**++++.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
vrbtny said:
I mean, yeah, the theft may have been justified if the game had been something decent.... like portal or Half-Life 2..... Or two worlds....
Think I'd prefer Final Fantasy to Half-life 2.
I find half life 2 the height of mediocrity.

HappyDD

Jul 14, 2009
Percocets make people do crazy crazy things. I have heard stories about people pretending to have cancer treatment in a neighboring state/city/province/geographical unit and then go to all the hospitals in the area trying to get the narcotic. The thing is, they really look like they are a cancer patient: no hair, gaunt, weak. In the story I heard, it was a woman doing this. She actually shaved her head to look like she was going through chemo.

It's sad man.

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
The saddest thing about this all...
He wanted FF XIV. Couldn't she have bribed someone with some taste?

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
Crap like this is why so many people in the medical community are concerned about finding non-narcotic painkillers. It's making progress but we're still a long way away, and the candidates are dangerous and rare enough that they will not be likely to take over the market for strong painkillers.

In the interim:
At the risk of dragging a pet issue into play, how many people stop to question opponents of cannabis as a painkiller, by pointing out that they are using concerns about addiction and abuse as a justification for continuing to use opium instead?

Would any of them, given the choice firsthand, prefer to depend upon an analog of heroin for their pain relief?

"That plant is just a recreational drug, and it's addictive, give 'em some wholesome smack instead"

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
EeveeElectro said:
I'm happy to see they're stamping down on the real criminals. ¬_¬

If she can afford a game, why can't she afford some painkillers? It doesn't say in the article, unless I missed it, why she can't get them herself.

Get a pack of 12 for 41p at Asda, love!
Because I guarantee you she doesn't need prescription painkillers, and thus wouldn't get a prescription.

We're not talking about some ibuprofen, this is the real shit, man. /twitch

AndyFromMonday said:
She's addicted to painkillers. Sentencing her to prison will do nothing to help her condition. She's going to be back on them the moment she's out. This is the problem with the world today. Instead of helping people we choose to simply throw them in a cell and forget about them and when they come out even more violent and crazed than before we've got no one but us to blame.
Usually there tends to be therapists in prison that you're required to have sessions with. Of course, that depends on if they want to get help. If they don't want to be helped, and a lot of people don't, then there's really nothing a psychiatrist can do, and like you said, they go straight back to their old habits.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Robot Overlord said:
Oxycontin is superior
Only by virtue of dosage, not a difference in chemical strengths.

Percocet / Percodan (and generics) = Acetaminophen or Asprin (respectively) and Oxycodone (usually 5mg).

Oxycontin = Oxycodone in 20mgs, 40mgs and 80mgs in regular or time-release coated pills.

Body metabolizes Oxycodone and converts it to morphine at a ratio of 1.75mg Oxy : 1mg Morphine

Pure Heroin (medically Diamorphine) has a ratio of 2 : 1

Hydromorphone (sold as Dilaudid, or generically "Hydromorph Contin") is 5 : 1 ...

The all opiates and opioids can be interpreted in terms of standardized chemical and dosage strength as (SUBSTANCE)mg : 1mg Morphine, as indexed.

I *believe* Hydromorphone is the 2nd strongest opioid, with a rather yawning gap between the 1st place heavyweight being Fentanyl (marketed as Sublimaze), which has a strength of 100 : 1 and, because of it's extreme potency is almost exclusively administered through trans-dermal skin patches. Attempts at directly ingesting Fentanyl by opiate addicts have resulted in a lot of accidental ODs.

Also, while Opiate is a catch all term for any medicine or drug that breaks down into morphine when introduced to the human system (including morphine, itself), "Opiates" is a term technically associated exclusively with drugs and chemicals synthesized with the naturally occuring alkaloids in opium poppy resin. "Opioids" are functionally identical to Opiates, but describe a class of drugs that are synthesized without using any naturally occuring ingredients - Oxycodone, Hydromorphone and Fentanyl are all Opioids.

... Just... you know, to expand on your statement... Pretty sure I've got my facts straight, but I'm just an interested layman speaking from memory, so don't take it as red w/o research...

TL;DR

Percocet and Oxycontin share the same active ingredient. Percocet just has less of it and also has some OTC stuff.