Langdell Loses Trademarks in Finalized Judgment

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Oh noes, does that mean Edge Games will lose it's EDGE on the market? While I admit that basing one's business model only on suing for misuse of a word is so EDGY that there are no rounded surfaces within a mile of their HQ. Actually, scratch that, they're so retarded that they may as well jump off the EDGE of a cliff. Edgy edge, edges, perimeter, edgy edginess that is based on edges. FUCKING EDGE!
Uhm, hurray for EA and common sense at least.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
HentMas said:
WanderingFool said:
I missed something, didnt I? when did all this start? and who the hell is Tim Langdell and Edge Games?
he´s an "smart" guy that copyrighted the word "Edge" or something like that

then demmanded several producers with the word "edge" for the rights of the name

most of them "yielded" because they didn´t had the money to pay the lawyers

but he made the mistake of taking on "Mirrors Edge" wich belongs to "EA"

he sent them a "cease and dessist" order of the use of his "Brand EDGE" in marketing that game

or something like that

you get the idea
Oh... so in other words... he fucked up... Im going to go and rofl now...

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
WanderingFool said:
I missed something, didnt I? when did all this start? and who the hell is Tim Langdell and Edge Games?
A trademark troll who would essentially extort smaller game developers by threatening legal action against them if they made anything that contained the word "Edge" in it - they'd usually end up settling rather than trying to fight him in court over it. He made the mistake of going after EA with his extremely obvious cash-in attempt "Mirrors" (which he 'advertised' using the graphic in the news post). EA, not being a small developer strapped for cash, was quite content to call Langdell's bluff, and hurray for them for doing so.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
WanderingFool said:
He hasn't made a game in over 15 years but thinks that he is one of the best indie developers out there. He took the name edge, and other things with edge in it, at a time where imminent domain (I think that's where he got the rights from) allowed him to do so.

So for the last 10 or so years he has been making his money by licensing the games industry to use words like Edge. But over the past few years he has gotten even more greedy and decided to take on more and more devs and eventually EA.

A few months ago indie developers released a ton of mobile games and put the word edge in them, very funny. Of course he sued.

But all is well, the Troll king has been dealt a death blow and we don't need to worry about his stink anymore, or do we?

The only way the industry wins here is if his company goes out of business, sad for its employees but great for the fact that the revenue stream of Tim dissipates. This guy is a greedy, selfish and cruel man. He has been holding small devs to the fires for too long.

I for one have a big thank you to EA today, good news!

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
I'm surprised no one has done this yet:

Langdell lost his trademarks? It seems he also lost....

*sunglasses*

...his edge

YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Bretty said:
WanderingFool said:
He hasn't made a game in over 15 years but thinks that he is one of the best indie developers out there. He took the name edge, and other things with edge in it, at a time where imminent domain (I think that's where he got the rights from) allowed him to do so.

So for the last 10 or so years he has been making his money by licensing the games industry to use words like Edge. But over the past few years he has gotten even more greedy and decided to take on more and more devs and eventually EA.

A few months ago indie developers released a ton of mobile games and put the word edge in them, very funny. Of course he sued.

But all is well, the Troll king has been dealt a death blow and we don't need to worry about his stink anymore, or do we?

The only way the industry wins here is if his company goes out of business, sad for its employees but great for the fact that the revenue stream of Tim dissipates. This guy is a greedy, selfish and cruel man. He has been holding small devs to the fires for too long.

I for one have a big thank you to EA today, good news!
That's pretty much right, except that eminent domain is what they call it when the government bulldozes your house so they can put in a bypass.

(Actually, I think they call it something else in England so that reference doesn't really work, but you get the idea.)

Danik93

Aug 11, 2009
coldalarm said:
Somehow, I get the feeling we've not heard the last from Langdell...
Yea, I can see him sitting in a chair yelling "Next time EA, next time!"

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"This settlement goes a long way in protecting the rights of independent developers."
Am I the only one that finds this an ironic statement coming from a company like EA?

Or am I just confusing it with Activision? XD

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Nice to see that Mr. Langdell got Teabagged by EA. For a short bit there I was on Langdell's side until I realized he hasn't published a game in 10 some-odd years.. Now I think he is just being a Troll and has got what he deserved.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
HT_Black said:
That's EA for you: they stomp all over some tool's big idea, and then convert his screams into positive PR. Sometimes, I love those crazy bastards.
In this case though, I think we can all agree that this is one tool's big idea that needed some stomping. I say Kudos to EA!

Andy Chalk said:
There was a sliver of good news for Langdell in the judgment, as he won't be required to pay any damages to Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com] or cover the company's legal fees.
That sucks. They should have buried that clown as much as possible. Honestly, what was he thinking going after EA anyway? A company with that big a piece of the game industry pie isn't going to roll over like a little house dog.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Anyone know enough legalese to know if Langdell could get in trouble with SLAPP laws? Cause as many things to kick this guy while he is down would be great.

SpecklePattern

May 5, 2010
Djehuty said:
VicunaBlue said:
So what did this guy do?
I think it was sue any and every company that had the word "Edge" in their product name.

Also, he's very lucky EA didn't force him to pay for any damages (imagine if he sued activision, couldn't resist).
I thought that too. He must be feeling lucky. If he doesn't, he should be.

mjc0961 said:
Andy Chalk said:
There was a sliver of good news for Langdell in the judgment, as he won't be required to pay any damages to Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com] or cover the company's legal fees.
That sucks. They should have buried that clown as much as possible. Honestly, what was he thinking going after EA anyway? A company with that big a piece of the game industry pie isn't going to roll over like a little house dog.
Yeah. Like they would not have few extra dollars to put for lawyers ;) Langdell could have been slaughtered.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
He had to know that EA was not going to roll over, especially after having put so much effort into marketing an IP that they felt strongly about.

Funny thing is, their statement about this being a victory for Independant Devs is not off base. The evidence that was used to nuke Langdell's arguements was pull off of Chaos Edge's research, and they took it right off the page and pasted it into their court briefs. It was a site that the Chaos Engine put together to start attacking Langdell. They did all the work for EA's lawyers, they just had to use it to torch him.

And Chaosedge could not be happier that they did so.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
And so, little Tim Langdell learns the all important life lesson: Don't bite off more than you can chew asshole.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Short of Langdell joining the judges on American Idol or some reality show cast, I think we have heard the last of this troll. Huzzah!

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
About time this prick got what he had coming. Let's have three cheers.
You've certainly got a cheer from me!

And a brewskie!

Although if you guys are under the drinking age of your respective countries I'll drink them in your honour, which now makes me obligated to say;
*hick*
"I love you guys, YOUR MY BESTEST MATES YOU'S ARE!"

OT, its astonishing to think his arrogance was so great that he could beat EA's Lawyer Missiles, I mean they've got some pretty hardcore Legal Weaponry.