Langdell Loses Trademarks in Finalized Judgment

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Maybe we'll get a new game in Soul Edge series will have a proper name in the west. It always bothered me how they renamed it "Soul Calibur" for western releases.

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
I love it when sleazbags get their come uppance, however i would only be truly satisfied if he was begging for mercy and losing whatever scrap of dignity he had to the prison's "Bubba" or to hoards of angry indie developers. I guess I'm a bit of a sadist.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
Bretty said:
The only way the industry wins here is if his company goes out of business, sad for its employees
see that's the thing, he has no employees. his business addresses are all PO box numbers or buildings he does not own, everyone he has ever hired (back when they did make games) has left on sour terms as he would not pay them,
the website he uses now to advertise his "current" games has had to be changed several times as all his promo pictures are stolen from deviant art.

the man is a leech and the industry is better for this blow.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
Lord_Gremlin said:
Maybe we'll get a new game in Soul Edge series will have a proper name in the west. It always bothered me how they renamed it "Soul Calibur" for western releases.
also agreed, was never a fan of xiaoyun's soul calibur and felt seig's soul calibur was a bit absurd (and i know his soul edge is absurd too)

bring back cervantes as big boss and ditch the crossover characters!

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
Well I'm going to have a drink in celebration.
Oh, and EA you just got a little better in my eyes.

Igen

Apr 28, 2009
Galaxy613 said:
I hope this goes through, I was thinking of making a iPhone game called "Space Edge, The Edgening!" Here's a mockup:
Do it now! get to the choppa!

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Note to assholes everywhere:

One day you will meet a bigger shittier asshole than you and he'll fuck up your day.

Conclusion = don't be an asshole.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
CrystalShadow said:
Andy Chalk said:
"This settlement goes a long way in protecting the rights of independent developers."
Am I the only one that finds this an ironic statement coming from a company like EA?

Or am I just confusing it with Activision? XD
Activision's the one that's been trolling the devs, everyone hates EA for their DRM schemes.

Different ball park, but publishers have a tendency to be evil.

On-Topic: Been a long time coming, eh Langdell?

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Huzzah! The troll is dead! I'mma go buy an EA game and drink a toast to the downfall of the Langdell scourge!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Lord_Gremlin said:
Actually, the original Soul Edge/Blade game is the only part to have its name changed for the west. The sequels all use "calibur" in Japan, as well.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Kwil said:
Everybody who's saying this is such a great victory should stop and think for a bit. This guy basically made his living by legally extorting people and independant developers for 10-15 years. Legally, he had to go after EA's "Mirror's Edge" or his game was done and other companies could have started pointing to that as evidence that his trademark had become public domain (see Kleenex and Xerox for examples). So that being done, he walks away with the penalty of simply not being able to do it anymore. Nothing more than that.

He's basically been put in the position of being unable to legally do what he shouldn't have been able to do in the first place. Flawless victory? Hardly.
The only reason he was able to get away with this is because no one bothered to stand up to him. Also in one of the earlier articles here on the Escapist it mentioned he might face criminal charges. This ruling might might open him up to countersuits as well. Besides, thanks to the power of the Internet, he'll be forever known as nothing more than a common leech and a disgrace to the game industry. Thats good enough for me.

Also

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Bretty said:
The only way the industry wins here is if his company goes out of business, sad for its employees but great for the fact that the revenue stream of Tim dissipates.
I'm not entirely sure he even employs anyone.

bugeater

Sep 3, 2009
For those of you who don't know who he is, I suggest reading this article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-edge-of-reason

Honestly, the more you read about this sorry excuse for a human, the more your blood will get boiling. For more hard-hitting facts, check out chaosedge.wordpress.com and start from the Aug 2009 archives. I read these pages for hours and was facinated and repulsed on how a turd like this actually exists.