Lara Croft breaks my heart

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Different studio than the last 2 games. Different writer/s, possibly no writer after the intro was done. I enjoyed the last 2 for what they were. Had no love for the old games, regardless of playing most of them. Utterly vacuous.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
B-Cell said:
I played TR 2013 and rise of both. and both were terrible. heavily scripted, bad combat, easy one button platforming.
I don't know why you keep lying about this. Are you literally 12 years old?

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
B-Cell said:
Tomb raider reboot has been terrible so far and this one they manage to make it even worse. Cant believe this is eidos montreal game who gave us masterpiece Deus Ex HR in 2011.
That's probably part of the problem. Sqeenix cancelled all their western releases like Deus Ex and Hitman and let Crystal Dynamics IPs like Legacy of Kain die. They only want Tomb Raider since it's the only game that meets their sales expectations so you can probably imagine the enthusiasm of the developers. No one who made this game probably gave a shit and just did the necessary to receive their paycheck(like pretty much everyone with a regular job). Looks good, plays well but an ultimately shallow and forgettable experience.

The first game in the series(the initial reboot) was excellent though. I really enjoyed that one and found it far superior to Rise. The Lara in that game also looked way prettier than in Rise and Shadow. I always hated that super tiny waist and stupidly huge cleavage. Her original design is atrocious. In the reboot she was just perfect both her figure and her incredibly pretty face. Without a doubt the best looking videogame protagonist ever created. In Rise she looked somehow younger and not as good looking.

But anyways enough for drooling on Lara it's obvious the games are just becoming rote and unamiginative by now. The reboot was awesome but it was just downhill from there.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Adam Jensen said:
No, Mack is an imbecile who doesn't understand that video games don't exist just to satisfy his expectations.
but its a casual game with handholding and one button platforming. atleast uncharted did shooting better but this game make combat/shooting absolutely terrible.

mack say things many professional reviewers afraid to say because they may lose thier job.

also watch jim sterling video

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Samtemdo8 said:
I just wonder if we'll ever see Classic Lara Croft again?
Classic Lara still exists in the 'Lara Croft'series of isometric games and not so long ago had a comics mini-series. She still exists but for some reason isn't the type of personality that the publishers think we want to see and so don't put her in mainstream titles.

The reboot series, the first game especially, would have worked better with the original Lara. She already knows how to kick ass. The story wouldn't even have needed changing.

I would love to see them make a game of the gameplay and visual quality of the reboot series with the original Lara. Just to sate my curiosity of how it would sell.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
votemarvel said:
Classic Lara still exists in the 'Lara Croft'series of isometric games and not so long ago had a comics mini-series. She still exists but for some reason isn't the type of personality that the publishers think we want to see and so don't put her in mainstream titles.
Um, really? According to the wiki that's "Legend Lara," not "Classic Lara."

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
I've tried to give the new Lara Croft a chance, but it hasn't really done 'anything' for me.

It'd be one thing if she was this postmodernist take on the character meant to appease journalists, but it's not even that.

To me, even with the 1st rebooted game, there's just this list of DON'T'S when it comes to Lara. Don't make her sexy. Don't make her weak for to long. Don't make it so she can't cry after taking a life.

I get the game is attempting to not only deconstruct itself but the entire Tomb Raider franchise and the implications (such as the criticisms of white savior complex and colonialism) but it never brought anything new or subversive to the table.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So after beating the main story of the game now, I can say that the story is mostly shit and makes absolutely zero sense. However there are a couple of very cool moments contained within that I wish had been expanded because they are very brief.

I play most games for the story and this game definitely is a failure on that part. I just couldn't care about the story or about the people within it. Trinity's ultimate motives are fucking retarded and make no sense for this big evil organization to be after the magical trinket in this game. Additionally the big bad head of Trinity dies off-screen, and you fight the secondary (i think) boss at the end.

Gameplay wise Tomb Raider is okay. Combat is a ton of fun, especially the stealth sections. Lara feels really cool when you cover yourself in mud and hide against walls or bushes to pop out and pick off entire areas worth of enemies. Gun fights are exciting, but if you are really good at the stealth you'll only ever need to use guns in just a couple sections of the game. Sadly this game doesn't have a lot of combat sections. They seemed to focus on exploration and especially underwater areas in tombs. There are more puzzles and challenge tombs than in previous games.

The problem with that is the controls are janky when it comes to exploration. Jump towards a rock climbing wall in which you have to throw your pick axe at it to attach like spider-man from it seem to fail more often than not. I died a lot in Tomb Raider this time, and almost all of them were from lara not attaching to ledges or the repelling not working the way is should. I found myself frustrated with traversing the tombs more often than not and because I also couldn't get into the story, I frankly found myself skipping everything not far into the game and opted to rush to the ending so I could finish the story (just in case it got good later) and be done with the game.

Tomb Raider isn't terrible, it's disappointing for someone who was a fan of the previous two games.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Tomb Raider Anniversary is still the benchmark imo. Both in character and game design. The reboot clearly wanted to be Uncharted but lacked the chops in just about every aspect besides crafting. I liked the game when they were more about exploring tombs with excellent level design and platforming than their current approach with about 90% of the content involving cheesy storytelling and generic shooting mechanics.

The Purple Grape

Jun 5, 2015
Man, reminded me of the fun days rather thant the dumb and stupid one we have now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbLZbBB6uZo&t=97s

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
undeadsuitor said:
I got bored of Tomb Raider reboots when they didn't bring Sam back.

I like Jonah but damn let Lara have her girlfriend back.

Do you really want that though? Considering most of the first game was literally her playing "Your Princess is in another castle" with Lara for the entire game and that these writers really haven't seemed to have figured anything out since then, it's hard to argue that Sam wouldn't be the same Distressed Damsel if she showed up again.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Dalisclock said:
undeadsuitor said:
I got bored of Tomb Raider reboots when they didn't bring Sam back.

I like Jonah but damn let Lara have her girlfriend back.

Do you really want that though? Considering most of the first game was literally her playing "Your Princess is in another castle" with Lara for the entire game and that these writers really haven't seemed to have figured anything out since then, it's hard to argue that Sam wouldn't be the same Distressed Damsel if she showed up again.
Does the "Distressed Damsel" thing work if you are playing a Damsel saving another Damsel? I mean isn't the downside of the trope, that the woman has to sit around and wait for the MAN to come save her so she can have his babies or some shit? But if a woman is also doing the saving, does it still count?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Having played Uncharted for the first time recently, the Tomb Raider reboot series doesnt come close.

I played Rise after Uncharted 4, and it was a pretty meh 6/10.

Havent heard anything great about this one either, so i'll give it a miss, I think.