Large Hadron Collider May Prove Parallel Universes Exist By Spring

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Large Hadron Collider May Prove Parallel Universes Exist By Spring

CERN physicists believe the Large Hadron Collider may finally prove parallel universes exist - perhaps even with evil goatees - within the year.

Parallel universes have long been a staple of science fiction, appearing in everything from <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20trek?os=star+trek>Star Trek to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/bioshock>BioShock. But they aren't just fictional constructs - modern quantum mechanics has put forward the idea that other universes exist in tandem of our own. The trick is proving it, but how long will that take? Well, if CERN's projections for the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/large%20hadron%20collider?os=large+hadron+collider>Large Hadron Collider are correct, probably by this spring.

Here's the logic behind the thinking: In the realm of modern physics, string theory is considered the most likely explanation behind all of existence. String theory makes all kinds of sense on a mathematical level, but we're still gathering observational data to prove it. That's the main reason <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138990-Lawrence-Berkeley-National-Laboratorys-Laser-Plasma-Particle-Accelerator-Breaks-Energy-Record>particle accelerators like the Large Hadron Collider exist - they let us replicate and observe the behavior of particles from the earliest days of the universe.

Once the LHC becomes fully operational, which is expected to happen this spring, string theory clearly states what should happen when it's flipped on - tiny black holes no bigger than a millimeter will form. If physicists observe these mini black holes it validates string theory and, by association, the existence of parallel universes.

"That's something I'm really, really waiting for," physicist Mir Faizal said, "because if it does come out in our energy scale, then we know we're using the right theory."

Now you might be asking yourself, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110385-Large-Hadron-Collider-Creates-Incredibly-Dense-Primordial-Matter>if we've been running the LHC already, why couldn't we see the black holes? According to Faizal, it's likely because the energy needed to produce them was larger than what the LHC could muster - which will change once it's fully operational. Physicists also need to take the "rainbow gravity" theory into account, which suggests gravity might leak into other dimensions, lowering the energy levels needed to make black holes.

"So if LHC operates at that [energy level]- we will know that rainbow gravity is correct, and that extra dimensions and parallel universes are correct," Faizal explained.

Right now however, the LHC is facing delays just to make sure it will be in working order. A CERN spokesperson recently revealed that repairs were underway to remove a small piece of metal that became stuck near one of the accelerator's magnets. If all goes well, the delay will take a few days - if not, it could take over five weeks.

Let's be clear however: If the LHC does prove the existence of parallel universes, that doesn't mean we'll stumble across a mirror universe where our polar opposites have goatees. But I still don't think we should be surprised if that's what we find.

Source: <a href=http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/large-hadron-collider-could-show-parallel-universes-exist-say-researchers-1.3006998>CBC

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Prepare for unforeseen consequences....

Exciting though, confirming the theory will give other theories based on those models a lot more confidence.

Sep 14, 2009
now I haven't read up too much on this before, but what SHOULD we expect to find if this is "true"? Realistically, will be able to do anything with it in the near future besides say "oh, cool, we can prove this."

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Sounds great, I'll meet you all in 42 West of the long earth then. Don't forget your potato.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008

Sorry, my mad science detector went off. You know, we MIGHT find a world where everyone has a goatee because they're in style.

gmaverick019 said:
now I haven't read up too much on this before, but what SHOULD we expect to find if this is "true"? Realistically, will be able to do anything with it in the near future besides say "oh, cool, we can prove this."
You've seen Sliders, right? Oh, the possibilities... Mwa ha ha ha ha ha haaa!!!

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I know what they're doing. This is all just a plot to activate Realities Trap Card and summon dragons to take over the world.

Sep 14, 2009
FalloutJack said:
gmaverick019 said:
{citation needed}

I don't know what sliders is :-(

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Physicists also need to take the "rainbow gravity" theory into account, which suggests gravity might leak into other dimensions".

Oh, of course; Rainbow Gravity!
Not as famous as Special Relativity, but just Faaaaaabulous none the less!

Seriously, I never heard of this. Time to read up!!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
FalloutJack said:
gmaverick019 said:
{citation needed}

I don't know what sliders is :-(
And just like that, I'm old. Here you go.

Basically, it's a new kind of exploration, a lateral move across space instead of time. Could be fun.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
What... What if were the evil parallel universe, and the goatee universe is actually super nice?

On another note, I don't see this as a big deal. In a parallel universe there was no delay, and we've already proven the existence of multiple universes. And I'm dating Natalie Portman.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Fox12 said:
What... What if were the evil parallel universe, and the goatee universe is actually super nice?
Obviously we will destory the nice goatee universe and tell the other universes that they where totally all evil so they had it coming. If they're going to be mulitple universes we best start early with the positive spin on our universe before word gets out what we're actually like :p

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
So, if this works, we can get parallel universes and alternate dimensions? What's next, hyperspace and time travel?

Actually, those last two might be the same thing, but still. I can't believe we're finally starting to prove science fiction right. If only we could come up with a cure for cancer or end world hunger instead of just creating mini black holes.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Guys, this is how the incursions started in the Marvel Universe! We're the cause of total multiversal collapse!

Jan 27, 2011
Wait, I thought they'd fired up the LHC YEARS ago!

I mean, I was still a frequent poster over on ArmageddonGames back when the "Ermagerd it's gonna make a black hole and kill us all tomorrow!" panic was in full swing! My friend who used to frequent 4chan told me that the day they fired it up, the admins shut down /b/ by making all the posts read "Ro ro fight the power"! That was a LONG freakin' time ago, at LEAST 5 years!

You're telling me that they didn't even fire it up yet and that they've just been setting it up for 5 years?! Wha?

Anyway, I'm bracing for an invasion of Eldritch Horrors from beyond man's (and woman's!) ability to comprehend. It was nice knowinphtagm phtagm chtulu phtagm.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Ukomba said:
Sounds great, I'll meet you all in 42 West of the long earth then. Don't forget your potato.
I would say something witty about getting that reference, but in stead I simply got that reference. CaptainAmerica.gif

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
aegix drakan said:
Wait, I thought they'd fired up the LHC YEARS ago!

I mean, I was still a frequent poster over on ArmageddonGames back when the "Ermagerd it's gonna make a black hole and kill us all tomorrow!" panic was in full swing! My friend who used to frequent 4chan told me that the day they fired it up, the admins shut down /b/ by making all the posts read "Ro ro fight the power"! That was a LONG freakin' time ago, at LEAST 5 years!

You're telling me that they didn't even fire it up yet and that they've just been setting it up for 5 years?! Wha?

Anyway, I'm bracing for an invasion of Eldritch Horrors from beyond man's (and woman's!) ability to comprehend. It was nice knowinphtagm phtagm chtulu phtagm.
It's been active and already found some promising things, it just hasn't been running at full capacity. They've been continuing to work on it in between running it at lower levels

Jan 27, 2011
Mike Richards said:
It's been active and already found some promising things, it just hasn't been running at full capacity. They've been continuing to work on it in between running it at lower levels
Oh, well that makes more sense.

Thanks for clearing that confusion up.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
A CERN spokesperson recently revealed that repairs were underway to remove a small piece of metal that became stuck near one of the accelerator's magnets.
A small piece of metal becoming stuck near the accelerator magnets of a machine that makes miniature black holes.

If that doesn't sound like a slapstick explanation for the end of the world, I don't know what does...

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Got no knowledge on this fancy-schmancy parellell universe thingimajigs, but I can give some more info on what's keeping the LHC from being turned on. It's true as it says in the article, that a small piece of metal is stuck somewhere. More precisely, it's connecting the bypass diode of one of the magnets in sector 34 with its casing, creating a ground fault. The same thing is happening with dipole C19 in sector 12, but this is assumed to be dust and not a metal piece since they can't see anything obvious on the x-rays of the magnet. Either way it sucks and we (the quench protection group) are gonna try and fix it tomorrow. Since there's no time to heat the two sectors up, clean the magnets out, and cool them down again, we're gonna blast a few kilojoules of electricity through the metal connecting the circuit to ground and hope it either vaporises or is blown away.