Last good book you've played

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Why has no one mentioned System Shock 2? WHY GOD DAMMIT!?

It remains one the greatest games of ALL time.

emberage

Sep 16, 2006
Aries_Split post=9.69892.675326 said:
Why has no one mentioned System Shock 2? WHY GOD DAMMIT!?
Now that's strange... almost every other game mentioned in the thread I've owned, played or at least heard of from a close friend. This one, I've seen hide nor hair of. What is System Shock 2? Or System Shock for that matter?

Narrator

Jul 11, 2006
emberage post=9.69892.675573 said:
What is System Shock 2? Or System Shock for that matter?
Many have argued that System Shock 2 is Bioshock's spiritual predecessor.

Whoever said Morrowind is telling the dang truth.

And Indigo Prophecy, since I haven't seen that one tossed up yet.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Final Fantasy VI. I don't really get into story-based games, and I would hardly count the Elder Scrolls series as "good books" (although I did enjoy The Real Barenziah vols. 1-5).

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Narrator post=9.69892.675607 said:
Many have argued that System Shock 2 is Bioshock's spiritual predecessor.
Nothing arguable about it. They were developed by the same people, and they stated it was a successor to SS2.

Also, any gamer over 20 has absolutely no excuse to not have played System Shock 2.

Shudmeyer

Aug 27, 2008
The last really text heavy games I played were Fallout 1/2 and Final Fantasy 7 (I have a crap computer so I've been going through all the classics). I honestly spent probably twice as much time going through dialogue in Fallout than I did fighting, but it was worth it because it was all just so great! I wish I could say the same for FF7 though.

Also on a side note, Custom Robo had insane amounts of crappy dialogue for the kind of game it was.

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
What is System Shock 2? Or System Shock for that matter?
Please tell me you're kidding. If not, go find it. Right now. Find it, buy it and play it. No. Excuses.

Liam Wolfy

Nov 21, 2007
Not knowing system shock or system shock 2 is like being an altzeimers patient in a whore house, Being constantly that you've been screwed and not wanting to pay for it. (This is not meant for offence to anyone who has altzeimers.)

Final Fantasy 7 plainly because if you turned it into a book, it would be GOD! althoah the fighting would be slightly monotonous.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
I'm not really sure what you're looking for... you need loads of text/dialogue to develop a character properly and in that case, we're starting to move into the "should have been a book" category. I'm not sure the kind of game you describe exists, simply because books don't have gameplay and games aren't books.
But if I had to choose something, maybe Half-life 2, even though it doesn't really have a protagonist. They managed to do some decent character development "on the run" that is, without sacrificing or changing the gameplay in any way, such as pausing because the user has to read something.
Is that what you mean?

unholy vagrant

Aug 5, 2008
I would have to go with Vagrant Story, great dialoge and well done characters. It could work as a book, but it would fit better as a graphic novel.

Spierek

Aug 17, 2008
Half-Life 2. Seriously, the story has such epic extents, even if it's followed by small amounts of somewhat lame dialogue lines. But overall plot - majestic.

Oh, and also Icewind Dale (played it some time ago).

vamp rocks

Aug 27, 2008
perhaps indigo prophecy or alone in the dark... but then again they tried to be like movies.... hmmm

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
God of War, Mass Effect, KOTOR and Baldur's Gate are my picks (and series' thereof)

TorqueZero

Aug 14, 2008
Was going to say Mass Effect, but I'm pretty sure that Alistair Reynolds' "Revelation Space" trilogy formed a large bulk of the erm, inspiration behind the game's plot. Cracking books though. Halo perhaps? Arg no, too Ian M Bainks-y. Fallout? Too late, Phillip K Dick got there first. Rez? Neuromancer. Hell, even Starcraft's been done (Forever War or even Starship Troopers perhaps).

Portal; it would be like the film Cube in book form. Oh wait, the central motifs of PK Dick's Maze of Death predates that too. I think that if we carry on like this we'll find that loads of the best games for a book have already, in part at least, been based on some pretty epic works already. I'll go with you on Good and Evil though, it's like the thinking-mans Citizen Kabuto. Ish.

Is that my coat?

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
Eternal Darkness - you literally play out a book in that one! It also had one of the most engaging stories and voice acting I've ever seen.