Latest game blamed for Connecticut shooting

BroJing

Sep 16, 2010
Wow this was actually the final straw that made me want to say anything [http://vikinggamer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/tragedy-and-blame.html] on the subject. Between them and the Daily Mail using games as their scape goat I am genuinely angry at the news for the first time in years.

Also, I kind of stole that video link...

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Just waiting for a news bulletin of police needing your help in finding a mass murderer/cult leader, with the picture of said perpetrator being an actual game case, with a gun photoshop'd on.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Is it wrong that I genuinely enjoy seeing the media/certain groups linking real-life violence to videogames, and I wish to see more?

Not the violence part obviously, just the part where they link it to X game. It's actually quite creative!

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Makes perfect sense. In Starcraft you go around killing miniature combatants, so OBVIOUSLY this translates to murdering miniature humans with a gun in real life.

Jesus christ.

The handling of this event has been disgusting.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Man we need to hurry up and get a new form of media out there so games can't be used as scape goats for people being cunts.

I bet in the past it was all like

'Man was influenced by MACBETH into a killing frenzy!'

As far as i can tell we went from

Books - scapegoat
Music - scapegoat
Film - scapegoat
game - scapegoat

Come on hurry up and get a new form of media out so games aren't to blame anymore :(

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
Sorry, don't have time to talk.

I've just been playing Rome: Total War and must now don my armour and invade France.

Don't blame me, the game is making me do it.
Hold on, let me give you a hand. Then you can give me some help trouncing those pesky Greeks.

OT - Yeah, this would maybe make a tiny bit more sense if he'd Zerg rushed the school.
Zerg rushing is a Starcraft thing right? I honestly have no idea.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
upgrayedd said:
God told me to blow up my local government building, can we ban religion?
Nope, because that would be discrimination and stuff, which this clearly isn't! You know, just like how it's not okay to criticize smokers, but it's open season on fat people!

Side note: Still missing that irony font, internet. Get to it.

RCoehrs

Dec 19, 2012
Th best response we gamers can give to such accusations is not going out and mass killing people, I am not kidding, these things blow by after a while, hell back in the day some group truly believed that ninja turtles and Bart Simpson would be the ruin of youth. But most fans kept a cool head and went about there law abiding life and it blew over . soon they won't have Video games to kick around as the ideal of games leading to mass killings grows more and more ludicrous just as Heavy metal became less and less linked to supposed devil worship and child killings, just keep a cool head and go about you law abiding ways and know that no matter how many times we try ,Our societal troubles will never be successfully linked to one thing and one thing only, But rather a multitude of troubles within a poor sick soul and failings of a society as a whole. Game on

m19

Jun 13, 2012
MagunBFP said:
If only the news didn't show so much violence we all would be much calmer less agressive people
I think all you have to do is compare the levels of violence now to when there were no video games and the media was much tamer.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Well I've just been playing Battlefield, so I'll just hop outside to my driveway where my B-17 is parked, and I'll fly over to the nearest airfield to drop a stick of bombs on it, killing as many as I can...

I... where... gone... B-17...

Real life... you be so mean sometimes...

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Well damn, society better be careful, I'm just about to start playing Rune Factory. I might go out and start beating people with my watering can! Or even better I might go charging around with a glove and rub people and say "HEY THERE!" (it's how you tame animals in rune factory)

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
It is quiet amusing, I wouldnt be all to surprised if the pro gun groups pay a lot of money to get the media to point at some other scapegoat.

The 'expert' didnt actually say 'VIDYA GAMES BE MAKING US BE TRIPPING MANG' (hows my American ?), he merely said media cause heighten aggression which includes violence, and named a few mostly American research groups... but if they are anything like the UK research groups, they come out with new 'facts' all the time which contradict other facts presented all the time... hell Eggs are bad for you, then good then bad then good.
At one stage smoking was actually healthy as it had a mild appetite suppressant, and caused mild tension relief... in moderation of course.

I would believe video games makes us violent if someone could tell me which game old Jack the Ripper played that made him go on his killing spree.

Nah, all this Video Games are to be blamed media is actually a smokescreen to hide the real culprits, bad parenting and inefficient ill disciplined and way to lax gun control.
I was watching Sky News here in the UK and they had a few gun shop clerks talking about the incident, and all on the shelves and walls was assault rifles, smgs , high caliber weapons ... to my non US viewpoint it looked like you could pretty much pick up a AR with your bag of fries and beers in the US.
I was thinking its all very well and good to have the right to bear arms, but ffs a entire armory ... it almost seemed that shop had more weapons than the British army does.

pat34us

Sep 18, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Starcraft? Really? That makes even less sense than blaming Mass Effect.
They need to blame something, we certainly can't blame the fact that he was unstable and had easy access to his mothers weapons stash.

Back to the joke: I have been playing Borderlands 2, so I need to find some cartoon characters to kill.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Trivun said:
Rawne1980 said:
Sorry, don't have time to talk.

I've just been playing Rome: Total War and must now don my armour and invade France.

Don't blame me, the game is making me do it.
You're British, that urge should be driving you anyway. Unless you're not a true Englishman...
OYH!!
He's not English, he's SCOUSE!!!
:D

Well I've been playing LoL...
So I guess I'll just go fetch my Yeti and start freezing everyone up!