Lawsuit Blames Oblivion For Pilot's Seizure

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Lawsuit Blames Oblivion For Pilot's Seizure

Former Navy pilot John Ryan McLaughlin was grounded after suffering a seizure. The culprit? Videogames.

McLaughlin has filed a lawsuit in Caifornia which claims that while playing the PlayStation 3 iteration of Bethesda Softworks' The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in March of 2010, the game's graphical effects caused him to suffer a grand mal seizure during which he experienced "excruciating pain" and broke a bone. As a result, the Navy stripped him of his flying credentials.

It should be noted that McLaughlin's suit specifically alleges that the game in question is "defective and dangerous" by virtue of how quickly it "strobes" lights at the player. "The product was so designed that it exceeded the upper acceptable limit of more than 3 flashes over a 1 second period, as well as acceptable spatial pattern and luminance flash limits. These risks were not made known to the plaintiff and/or an ordinary consumer prior to the time of purchase," the lawsuit claims.

Though actual monetary amounts are unknown, McLaughlin is seeking punitive reparations, damages for negligence, breach of warranty, and product liability from Sony, Bethesda Softworks and Bethesda parent company Zenimax.

Normally this sort of lawsuit would be met by rolling eyes and audible scoffs -- have a look at the comments if you don't believe me -- but I think this case might actually serve an important purpose, regardless of its eventual outcome. Game packaging has specifically warned consumers about the danger of seizures as far back as I can remember, and while you'd think that would sink McLaughlin's case by itself, it's entirely possible that the court would rule in his favor simply by virtue of the fact that no one actually reads those warnings.

Maybe I'm simply jaded by our hyper-litigious culture, but I could see a lenient judge seeing this as an opportunity to make an example of prominent gaming companies.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/05/11/36487.htm]

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Yeah, in modern games, the warning is on page 1 of the manual.

I remember that Lucasarts (I think) had the warnings come up on the screen before the game, and you couldn't skip it.

Sebster 105

Feb 27, 2011
redisforever said:
Yeah, in modern games, the warning is on page 1 of the manual.

I remember that Lucasarts (I think) had the warnings come up on the screen before the game, and you couldn't skip it.
Yeah but nobody wants to be like lucasarts

OT: it's a shame but do they really need to strip him of his flying credentials?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Game packaging has specifically warned consumers about the danger of seizures as far back as I can remember, and while you'd think that would sink McLaughlin's case by itself, it's entirely possible that the court would rule in his favor simply by virtue of the fact that no one actually reads those warnings.
That is exactly why this case should be dismissed immediately. "Nobody reads those warnings" is not an excuse. The warnings are there (many times being put on your TV screen before you start playing), and it's your own damn fault if you don't read them.

If this case is anything but thrown out ASAP, I am going to have no faith left in the court system.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
When releasing games on a Nintendo platform there are specific and very strict guidelines in regards to what you can display and at what rate.

Sony and Microsoft have very lenient TCR/TRC's in regards to this that most developers look past. I've had cases where certain multi plat games had to be altered for the Wii but not the 360/PS3.

We have Pokemon to thank for all this, gogo PORYGON!

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I hope this guy looses because this is plain rediculess the games warn you and have been for litterly ever

He should never watch the banned episodes of pokemon I think

Edit: Fucking hell ninja'd on pokemon

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Oh ffs. Every game has these warnings and I even think the PS3 has the same warning in its little booklet - its just common sense.

Also, I refuse to believe he managed to get such good fps on the PS3 version of Oblivion :p

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
Doubtful. By that logic I could weedle my way out of any contract simply by saying "I didn't read it." It says on there quite clearly that it can potentially cause seizures, if someone doesn't heed that warning it's their own damn fault. I don't care if he was stripped of his credentials or not, it's not Bethesda's fault.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
The warning against that is right there on the box, every box. It's usually also in the instructions, sometimes more than once, and some games have it come up on the screen. How were they supposed to better warn him, a bloody personal phone call on the day he bought it?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
They should be thanking the developer for this. Games don't cause conditions, they trigger them. How he got past flight screening without his condition being known, I'll never know, but he certainly shouldn't have been flying.

GeeksUtopia

Feb 26, 2011
There are no strobe effects in oblivion, none that i can remember anyway, but another thing is that on every case of video games in big red letters they advise you not to play the game if you have history of epilepsy, seizures, etc, and to consult a doctor before playing the game.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
If the plaintiff actually wins this, Bethesda will be punished for complying to the letter with industry standards.
This cannot stand.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
I don't think he was playing for a short while, with the recommended breaks. You just don't really get seizures for playing a game for about 1-2 hours, do you?

I hope people will stop blaming games for stuff like this. It's more people's neglect and indifference that cause it.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Wait, by 3 flashes per second, does he mean that we shouldn't play games with more than 3 FPS?
That would be annoying...

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Sir Ollie said:
hudsonzero said:
i don't rememberer strobe lighting effects in oblivion.
Never downloaded the nightclub mod then?
I sure as hell know this guy never did, considering that he was playing on the PS3. Moreover I always remember spell effects being pretty minimalist and tame in Oblivion, so I don't know what could have been alarming enough to trigger a seizure.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Hold on, I think reverend Yankovic has a song that covers this topic quite well.

The warning are there, and last I checked I don't think Oblivion was the type of game to really be pegged as seizure inducing. Now Beat Hazard, there a game that's an epileptic's nightmare.